Squaw in place names

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally don't think of the word as a positive, don't use it and cringe when I here it.

I think it would be most enlightening if someone from the Native American community would comment on this.

Should we change the names? No. The name is the name and history is history. If there is a big enough public outcry by those that feel offended the most by the name (native american women) then change it.

Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Heck I can't get used to saying Nipple Top in mixed company.

Last edited:
If it offends Native American Woman (or men) it should be changed. If I was a Native American, I would be offended because no one makes fun of my Momma! I also would be interested in that side of the story, so if you are out there please comment.

Only in America.

From article said:
"There's a real insensitivity in this state to native issues," says Mr. Francis, whose office is in the back of a gym on Indian Island, a reservation in the Penobscot River accessible by a single narrow bridge. On his office wall, there's poster saying "Indian wars never ended."

The Penobscots run high-stakes bingo games on the island, which has about 700 residents. They plan to install slot machines next month despite the governor's veto. David Farmer, the governor's deputy chief of staff, says the state is weighing how to respond.

:rolleyes:

I smell a rotten fish. I'm not native and never understood "Squaw" to be the n- or c- word, as the article suggests. If it is, it should be changed, just like if some southern community had N- Mountain or some such...BUT...this may just be about the money. I believe the fact that they haven't changed the name of their own reservation is a bit telling.

I'm not native and never understood "Squaw" to be the n- or c- word, as the article suggests. If it is, it should be changed, just like if some southern community had N- Mountain or some such...BUT...this may just be about the money. I believe the fact that they haven't changed the name of their own reservation is a bit telling.
There really is (was?) a "N-" Hill in the Catskills, albeit an informal name for a bump that has no other name.

There really is (was?) a "N-" Hill in the Catskills, albeit an informal name for a bump that has no other name.

Well, it hasn't been that long, really. When I was a kid Brazil Nuts were called something else EXTREMELY insensitive, formally, printed on labels. So names can change, but again, this may just be about the slot machines.

Only in America.

:rolleyes:

I smell a rotten fish. I'm not native and never understood "Squaw" to be the n- or c- word, as the article suggests. If it is, it should be changed, just like if some southern community had N- Mountain or some such...BUT...this may just be about the money. I believe the fact that they haven't changed the name of their own reservation is a bit telling.

Is this in refernece to the word "Indian " in bold? Although the origins of th eword are based on a misconception I don't understand how it can be construed as being offensive.

On another note the Carribean is loaded with islands called Buck Island. These islands are often smaller islands located off the coast of much larger islands ie St Thmas. These islands got the name beacuse "up start slaves" (young males) were kept there. However, I have never heard of an effort to rename them.

Not as offensive as the n or c word, and again I'm not native, but I have known for years that natives prefer to be referred to as their own tribal names or at least Native American. It seems to me that if this group were really that concerned about what things are named, that they would have revised their own reservation name and office posters years ago. But then I could be completely mistaken and owing them an apology.

I think it's a mistake to ascribe a single viewpoint to any diverse group of people, be it about language or tradition.

Having said that, there are many groups of Native Americans/Indians that object to the word "Squaw", but there's no consensus that I've seen. That shouldn't, IMO, prevent naming boards from changing names where appropriate. I wouldn't object to removing the name from peaks that currently have it, but I'm not going to advocate for the change either.

The White Mountains had it's share of offensive names. Just look at the White Mountain Lost Trails Project in the "N"s.

Here is a page on the page on the word, it's derivation, and it's use as a toponym. I had no idea it was offensive in any way. I just thought it meant a female Native American. Looks like it did originally. Like many offensive words, it was not originally offensive, but the context in which it became used, made it offensive by association, then became offensive on it's own.

Last edited:
Great link, AndyF. Marge Bruchac says it all.

Sad that those who wish to promulgate hate and use it to gain power would attack her as they apparently have. It shows how hard those folks want to hold onto their weapons.

It's a little bit of a silly reference, but I'm reminded of a Star Trek episode, in which an alien refers to Lt. Uhura as "a charming negress," and then apologizes. Lt. Uhura gives a wonderful response about how, in their time, they had learned not to be offended by words. I guess we have a ways to go.

It's a little bit of a silly reference, but I'm reminded of a Star Trek episode, in which an alien refers to Lt. Uhura as "a charming negress," and then apologizes. Lt. Uhura gives a wonderful response about how, in their time, they had learned not to be offended by words. I guess we have a ways to go.

Or as stated by Sergeant Hulka from the movie Stripes: "Lighten up, Francis.".

A word is simply a combination of letters. That someone is offended by one of these combinations is unfortunate. That someone can learn to ignore those that would use a word when it is intentionally used in an offensive manner is fortunate. That someone can understand when the word is uttered without the intention of offense is even more fortunate.

Many states ban offensive words from personalized license plates. I read that in one state somebody objected to the word WOP so the state recalled all such plates only to find that none of the plates belonged to hate groups. All the owners were Italians who were proud of their heritage and for instance had WOPCAR on their Cadillac.

And remember when a Dartmouth official apologized for allowing a team with an Indian mascot to play at Dartmouth, only to discover that the tribes in that state had approved the mascot as they were proud to be associated with an institution of higher learning.

While we should perhaps ban offensive names, I'm not sure how to decide what is offensive.

Anyone who grew up in the area of Kilkenny Plantation, NH or Rogers Ledge around 1940 knows there was an offensive name there.

One of the more interesting names resulting from the ME law is Moose's Bosom :)

800 lb. gorilla

The site of the 1960 Winter Olympics and current ski area is Squaw Valley. History has been recorded. The deal has been done. Any reference to change will be conspicuous.

BTW, I remember when the logo of the Massachusetts Turnpike had a pilgrim's hat with an arrow through it. All the signs were changed at considerable expense. As I see it, the pilgrims deserved a few arrows. Where was the offense?

Have you seen the Cleveland Indians' logo? Now we are talking about something seriously offensive.

Great link, AndyF. Marge Bruchac says it all.

Sad that those who wish to promulgate hate and use it to gain power would attack her as they apparently have. It shows how hard those folks want to hold onto their weapons.

Nice reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM2cXMUTPrQ