status of square ledge ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzy

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know if access to Square Ledge is currently restricted ? In my WM guide, it says access may be restricted due to peregrine falcon nests.

I am planning a hike out there this weekend, but if access is restricted (how much it is restricted ??) I may change plans.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Lizzy said:
Does anyone out there know if access to Square Ledge is currently restricted ? In my WM guide, it says access may be restricted due to peregrine falcon nests.

I am planning a hike out there this weekend, but if access is restricted (how much it is restricted ??) I may change plans.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated :)

I would call the Forest Service and/or AMC Pinkham Notch for info.

I guess there are TWO Square Ledges in the Whites. The one I am referring to is in the Sandwich Range.........between Paugus & Passaconaway......not the one in Pinkham Notch

Lizzy I got this from the Access Fund's site:
The following NH areas are temporarily closed until August 1 (Some restrictions may be lifted early — always check on site): Cathedral Ledge (parts of upper left), Eagle Cliff (northern end), Holts Ledge, Painted Walls, Rattlesnake Mtn. (main cliff only), Square Ledge. For more information, contact Chris Martin, Senior Biologist, Audubon Society of New Hampshire at 603.224.9909

I think that the Square Ledge they are refering to here is the one in Pinkham; but a phone call might not hurt.

Last edited:
Peregrine falcons nest on the Passaconaway

Square Ledge. The one near Pinkham is a popular beginner climbing area offering some lovely long one pitch topropes on easy rock. and is heavily visited both byclimbers and by tourists from Pinkham Notch Camp. I've seen and heard peregrine falcons on the one near Passaconaway, so tha tis the one close duntil the birds fledge.

When I was there in October 2005, Square Ledge west of Paugus, there were signs indicating closure at certain times due to Falcon nesting. I didn't pay any attention to particulars since it had no effect on my plans. Photo album of my Square Ledge hike is here.

Square Ledge not closed as of this past weekend

Climbed on Square Ledge in Pinkham just this past weekend and there were no restrictions due to raptor nesting, but no clue about the other one. You might want to check out the website www.neclimbs about possible closures due to nesting for ledges in the area .... I believe there are regular updates of such information there.

Hope this helps.
Have fun, Chris

Woody48 said:
I would think that the closure is only an issue if you are planning to do rock climbing on the ledge. Checking with the forest service rangers is your best bet.
The hiking route goes close enough to the cliffs that some nesting sites might be disturbed.

Doug

The forest service is the best source of info on trail closures.

I was once startled by a huge bird up on Square Ledge, which probably was a falcon. I was quiet enough to get close to it, perched on a branch only five feet over my head. I was watching my step, so I didn't notice until the sound of wind under its' wings scared the beep out of me! :eek: I ducked, then looked up to see a huge bird flying away. It was a great moment. :)

Happy Trails!