Steam whistle, Glencliff, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcskier

Reaction score
Ashfield, Mass. Avatar: Homage to a friend
Can anyone tell me what the source of a long whistle blast that echoes through the Glencliff side of Mt. Moosilauke? We heard it on a couple of occasions on 11-10-08.

There are often proprietary sounds that accompany certain hikes. I'm reminded of the Nat'l Guard artillery range that serenades hikers climbing Bolton Mt. on the Long Trail.

Are there any others that come to mind?

I should have searched before I posted. Dave Metsky had the answer: Mt. Moosilauke Whistle thread

My second question still stands however.

bcskier

Last edited:
I already have a reserved bed in the Glen Cliff Home for the Elderly when the time comes, as Steve Martin assures me that they will let me out to continue maintenance on the Glen Cliff Trail because the afternoon whistle will warn me when it is time to head down for din-din. :)

When I was a youngster the home use to be the local Sanitarium I remember asking my mother if I could live there some day and she said, "well you never know..." :)

The steam whistles from the papermill in Gorham at 8 noon and 4 are sometimes quite noticable in the Mahoosucs or Moriah. There was one at the now demolished mill in Berlin that did the same routine but also was used for fire calls. Most old timers had a chart that listed what locations the code was calling out. They also used it on veterans day.

I already have a reserved bed in the Glen Cliff Home for the Elderly when the time comes, as Steve Martin assures me that they will let me out to continue maintenance on the Glen Cliff Trail because the afternoon whistle will warn me when it is time to head down for din-din. :)

I can hear Steven saying that, too!:)

I've driven up to that home a few times, and have always thought that if I had to live in a nursing home, that's the location I'd like to be. What a beautiful spot.

Just for the record, GHE is a nursing home for mentally ill or developmentally disabled NH adults over 60 referred by specific authorities, not a regular nursing home. But there is the county home in Grafton not too far away....

To the point of this thread, the major "proprietary sound" here is traffic noise, especially coming off I-93 through the Franconia Notch. On the Greenleaf trail, it fades away as you "turn the corner" and hike through Eagle pass. It's always a pleasant surprise to realize I've left the din behind.

One time I was going up the Glen Cliff trail and the whistle blew just as I met a couple headed down. They asked me if I knew what it was. I told them when the wind is blowing just right you can hear the whistle from the cog railway.
I think they actually believed me! - Dave

I'm glad to see that you've got your priorities straight, Dr. D!:D