Stratton, ME?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
Hey! Finally getting a little time off soon, :p and will be heading up to this area for a little peakbagging. Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of the road construction situation up there, and how I can avoid it?..... Also, on one previous trip I took route 16N out of Gorham, NH and another time I went rt2 to rt17. Both drives were scenic, but long! :eek: Would it be a better (faster) plan to go ME Thruway 95 and pick up rt4 in Lewiston or continue on 95 to Augusta, pick up rt27 to Farmington? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks so much for your help...Stu

I drove Rt. 2 from Gorham to Farmington last Saturday. Construction is pretty well done, and the road is fairly good to drive. On the other hand, it's not an interstate, so it's slow.

So if you're coming from CT, definitely take I-95 to Rt. 27 (Augusta) to Farmington. All Maine back roads are a pain in the summer, but that route is probably a bit quicker than Rt. 4 from Auburn to Farmington.

Side note: I was going from N. Conway to Waterville, and it would have been quicker to go back to Portland and then up 95 than it was to do it the way I did, 16 to 2 to 27 to 225 to 137. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Not sure what the hiking plans are, but they are working a bunch of Rt 4 between Rangely and Kingfield, in fact, they are working right on the road where the AT crosses Rt 4 and starts to head up Saddleback and Saddleback, the Horn. However, the construction is mostly east of the AT parking lot on 16 so if you have a choice, go in from Rangeley and not Kingfield as they have it reduced to one lane and for quite long. A lot of construction workers are parking at the lot there and they had a backhoe digging up the dirt by the lot when we were there.

Strangely enough, the DOT appears to be working on the AT crossing between Stratton and Carabassett Valley on Rt 16/27 too but that one is small and the wait there is minor I think.

Jay

The few times I've driven from CT, I've gone 95 to Augusta as Mac mentioned, soem sections of the secondary routes have decent spots to pass people. After one trip we went back the more scenic way & while scenic, it was quite long.

coming from Canton CT?
I wouldn't even think about driving the Gorham route...