Summer(??) hike up Mt. Mansfield 9/25

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
9/25/2008

So,
Was kind of bored at work today reading trip reports and kind of got me hungry for a mount mansfield hike. Around 12:30 i decided to call it a day, well with the nice weather who could stand sitting at a desk(especialy with 3 days of rain in the forecast)??? This will be my 9th time up Mansfield and so far i have not taken the same route twice. So many trail options.
Got to Underhill State Park at 2:40 and parked right before the gate (silly me, thought i wouldnt have to pay the fee). Well they got me for 3 hard earned dollars(a margarita), but it was worth it. Temp when i arrived was 74 degrees, absoutely gorgeous. My original plan was to hike over to Maple Ridge Trail but i hate walking the CCC road (i know, i could have parked at Stevensville road, but i drove past it and didnt feel like turning around). Decided to go up Laura Cowles to Lt to the Chin then down Sunset Ridge. Let me tell you, the weather was felling like summer but the Trees were saying fall is here! First time up Laura Cowles and i swear it is the Hellbrook trails lil sister. I had gone down it before and dont remember it being steep! Could have been because i rode my bike 25 miles already today, but my legs were dragging. I though i was making horrible time up but when i reached the Chin i glanced at my cell phone, it was exactly 4:00. had some water and chatted with a couple, one of whom was on her 25th day on the LT, her hiking partner told me he "only" started at killington. They were heading over 108 to (i think) sterling pond. Wished them luck and headed back down the LT to catch the Sunset Ridge Trail. Pretty much love this trail as it is pretty exposed for almost a mile, one of a few ridge walks we have here in VT. Did not pass anybody on the way down. Got out pretty quickly and down to my car. It was 5:20 when i turned the engine over and headed home. Now its shower time and $3 Margarita Thursdays!!!

Just a short after work hike up Mansfield. :D

mookie said:
... i hate walking the CCC road
You don't have to. Well, mostly you don't.

If you park in the upper lot, and go straight up the path (looks like a shortcut to the road) and continue across the road, there's a path leading up into the woods. It will re-cross the road a few times, but mostly it's in the woods. Eventually you have a short bit of roadwalk near the top if you take the Laura Cowles/Sunset Ridge (longer if you do the Maple) but I like it better than walking the road the entire distance.