Summit signs taken down on the Carters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete_Hickey said:
Also, (fitting in with this thread) signs are only on peaks which are not obvious to prevent wandering. A number of peaks, where the summit is obvious, are not supposed to have signs.

That is what Justin called "resource protection" above ;)

Tim

Tom Rankin said:
The 14'ers seem to have solved this problem. All of them are way above tree line, but they have their canisters anchored with a metal cable wedged in between 2 rocks, or looped around, whichever works best.

Example:

http://viewsandbrews.com/temp/canisters.jpg

Maybe that's the way it's done in one state with 14ers (Colorado), but in other states with 14ers, I've seen it vary from old ammo cans, to large metal boxes specially designed for a big register (Whitney, White and Shasta come immediately to mind) to none at all.

TCD said:
But cabling the canister onto the rock is even more "non conforming"...surely someone out there in Colorado must think that it is the end of the world...
The CMC has numerous canisters vanish every year, at least one was left in the roadside register indicating it was not a souvenir hunter but someone who felt it didn't belong at the summit

dr_wu002 said:
I think I see a potential business venture in the making: Summit Sign Porter Service.
When Diane Sawyer finished the W48 on Mt Tom, the summit was renamed for her instead of her husband and a sign for Mt Diane placed to indicate the fact. Unfortunately the change didn't stick as she chose to keep the sign as a souvenir instead of leaving it there. This idea has particular merit for the Ossipee 10 list as people could call each summit what they want to :)

Tom Rankin said:
The 14'ers seem to have solved this problem. All of them are way above tree line, but they have their canisters anchored with a metal cable wedged in between 2 rocks, or looped around, whichever works best.

Example:

http://viewsandbrews.com/temp/canisters.jpg

the "canister" on Gannett Peak in Wy isn't cabled or bolted down at all, but then again, it is about the size of a large compressed air tank and probably weighs accordingly! I have a picture of it in my group of shots from the peak but I can't link it cause it's blocked here.

Jay

TCD said:
The trailless peaks had canisters, with the exception (I think) of Iroquois, based on it's "line of sight" access, and no good place to attach a canister.
Iroquois used to have a canister. If you look at the 46ers Canister Poster, you'll see a picture of it. In the late '70s (I think) there was a herd path re-route/rehabilitation, and the canister was removed then, as it wasn't really considered a trailless peak.

Gps

Gee, with signs removed, and canisters removed, how do I know that I've reached the real summit, and not another false summit? Maybe I need a GPS so I can key in the coordinates.

If "forever wild" Baxter can have a huge blue-painted boulder marking the halfway point to Chimney Pond, then I think removing a few summit signs in the Whites definitely qualifies as overzealous.

:D :D :D

We definitely have to get that dilapidated sign down off the summit of Mt. Katahdin. Who ever gets his picture taken next to that sign anyway? ;)

100_0063.jpg

I can completely understand removing old, dry, very tinder like signs from summits like the Carters. I mean seriously, what a shame it would be if one of those things was struck by lightning and, because so dry, started a fire that burned the entire summit free of any plant obstructions! 360 degree views on some of those peaks would be just plain disgusting! ;)

Brian

I've noticed that signs out west (Barr Trail on Pike's Peak and Half Dome in Yosemite, for example) are made out of metal. Trail signs and summit markers are more important to some people than others and should be considered vital for safety and even a sense of well being of those less familiar with an area. Not everything is obvious all the time.

I have not hiked in the Catskills for awhile so maybe Jay or Tom can answer this Question. There use to be alot of Metal trail Markers in the Cats and I remember seeing teeth marks in alot of them. It took awhile for me to figure out how that happened but I always came to the conclusion that it was the Porcupines sharpening their teeth in winter when the snow levels were high enough for them to reach the Markers. If those have been removed has there been some sort of disruption to the food chain in that area?

I also kinda like the summit signs.

I wasn't really sure that I'd hit Wildcat E until I'd gotten to the ski-lift and had strolled over to each false peak that I'd come to.

I have not hiked in the Catskills for awhile so maybe Jay or Tom can answer this Question. There use to be alot of Metal trail Markers in the Cats and I remember seeing teeth marks in alot of them. It took awhile for me to figure out how that happened but I always came to the conclusion that it was the Porcupines sharpening their teeth in winter when the snow levels were high enough for them to reach the Markers. If those have been removed has there been some sort of disruption to the food chain in that area?
Porky's can climb trees quite well. They have plenty of food to eat, even with the plastic markers. :D

I've seen a bunch of Porkys in the cats up in the trees, I think during the day, one of their hideouts is just to hang out up in a tree, descending to the grounds to scavenge and attack the leantos and cause havoc at night. I've got some pictures of Porkys in trees in fact.

I've heard that there are some resins and paints that contain salt, and the porkys are sensitive enough to try to attack wood containing such resin or metal containing such paint. I know all the Aluminum frames plane wrecks in the catskills show ample evidence of porcupine abuse! Or it could just be from hiker sweat from the aircraft hunters. :)

Jay