Superfeet?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ouch. Did your PT and Doc check the footbed-boot interface?

They looked at me on just the Superfeet on the floor, then in my standard Nike cross-training shoes, and in my hiking boots, and in all cases, my knees lined up better with the Superfeet than without. They said I was "lucky" because I "didn't require custom orthotics." The proof is in the hiking though because I've been "cured" now for 18+ months. They worked for me (along with some other things, of course, but certainly they took care of pronating.)

You should see my old hiking boots - the lateral (out) side of the sole is worn down WAY more than the medial (in) side. My new boots are wearing perfectly evenly.

Tim

They either fit or they don’t.

This is long but hopefully informative.

GREAT post. The outfitter in Damascus did just what you described in your post and concluded that I had been using the wrong size insole because I was indeed buying for the length of my feet and not my arch. However, even with the proper size Superfeet, I had BIG issues. The SOLE insoles fixed about 70% of my foot pain and the next time I am lucky enough to do a long distance hike, I hope to be fitted for a custom footbed. I am curious what custom insoles cost? I know I can't currently afford them but would like to know if I could come close to affording them. In the meantime, I am VERY happy with the SOLE insoles and maybe I will try and even heat them and mold them which I haven't done.

Thanks again for the VERY informative post.

sli74

In my experiment of one, foot pain is directly proportional to weight of pack, miles covered, terrain, and choice of footwear (for example, in non-snow conditions, trailrunners generally work better for me than boots) and not so much whether or not the arches are well supported. But maybe I am lucky and have "normal" feet. :rolleyes:

Which brings up the question: If one has "normal" feet, why would one need arch supports? This is a serious question. :confused:

On a related topic, I've always been intrigued by the whole barefoot movement (although I myself go shoeless only at home). Some interesting perspectives here:

http://www.barefooters.org/

http://barefootted.com/

Which brings up the question: If one has "normal" feet, why would one need arch supports? This is a serious question. :confused:

On a related topic, I've always been intrigued by the whole barefoot movement (although I myself go shoeless only at home). Some interesting perspectives here:

http://www.barefooters.org/

http://barefootted.com/

That's a good question, Stinkyfeet. I've read that one should never go barefoot, because it will do harm to the foot (not the obvious kind of harm with cuts and scrapes). I've also read that it is good foot exercise to walk barefoot on the beach at low tide.

Only if you are wearing shoes that fit "normal" feet.

We all (or at least most of us) know that different brands of boots tend to have different shapes and often find that certain brands tend to fit us better than others. Or a manufacturer makes several lines of boots/shoes to fit different shaped feet (eg. New Balance running shoes).

Besides, what is normal? Common? Average? (It is perfectly possible to average a group and find that no individual in the group is average.)

Maybe you are just lucky that you find it easy to get an adequate fit.

Doug

I don't think it's a given that everyone needs arch supports or even shoes. We've been on this earth a long time, and my hunch is we've been going barefoot for a lot longer than we've been wearing shoes.

Early last summer I was on the summit of Mt Lassen, part-way thru my lunch when a mom and her 3 teenage kids joined me, along with a few others. After we visited for awhile I noticed that neither she nor her kids were wearing shoes. Now, for those of you who haven't climbed Mt Lassen in California, it's a rather mellow climb, not much more strenous that the average NH 4K aside from some moderate altitude-related stuff. But, it's a volcanic peak, part of the Cascade chain and last erupted in 1917, and in early summer has lots of snow and the summit cone is covered with some really mean volcanic rock. But, aside from a bit of dirt, nobody's feet seemed any the worse for wear. I was rather amazed by it all.

So much for 'needing' shoes.

happy puppies

Stinkyfeet, you’re right not everyone needs extra foot support. “normal” feet usually don’t “need” the extra support, but they do become “happier” feet with the support.

DP, you’re right too what is “normal” or “average”? It depends on ones heritage. Normal to me is 5 toes. Even flat feet are normal. High arches too. I don’t see too many extremely high arches though.

I will also say that one has foot pain it can be debilitating and if you have never had foot pain you don’t really know how bad it is.

There is nothing like sliding your foot into your footwear and having the “mmm, that’s my foot” feeling! That is what a properly fitted custom footbed will do for your feet.

If you can walk into Bob’s and buy a pair of boots or shoes off the shelf put them on and walk out consider yourself lucky. There are people that go to great lengths to make sure their dogs are properly fitted. I hate it when my dogs are barking at the end of the day. I know my footbeds quiet my dogs down…

Jim

Try fitting 12.5EE into toeclips...I really don't believe there's such a thing as an average foot.

Toe clips!?!? Jump forward to the 21st century, man! FWIW, the best-fitting pair of shoes I own are my Sidi cycling shoes - size 47.

Since this is now being discussed, anyone know if any manufacturer does in fact make a 12.5 hiking boot or boots?

Tim

I'd be much happier if manufacturers made a size 12.5... guess what the actual size of my feet are?

Tim

Tim & jniehof:

Have you fellows tried Lowa boots? I hike with a couple of fellows who are up in the size 14 or better, and they swear by them. There's at least one boot on that page that goes to size 16.

I have a pair (9.5, thank you) and they're extremely well-made - leather-lined, and all that.

Last edited:
Tim & jniehof:

Have you fellows tried Lowa boots? I hike with a couple of fellows who are up in the size 14 or better, and they swear by them. There's at least one boot on that page that goes to size 16.

I have a pair (9.5, thank you) and they're extremely well-made - leather-lined, and all that.

I don't see a 12.5 on their web site...

Tim

Foot issues SUCK!!!!! I've used superfeet and I liked them. Lately though I've just been plastering the duck tape to my feet to prevent the sore spots from becoming too much of an issue. My feet aren't blistering too bad but after a long day in the plastic boots to tootsies take a beating. This may sound gross but I've also greased up my feet with vasoline and that seems to keep the hot spots to a minimum too. I think over time the shape of our feet change from all the hiking....

I also had orthodics made for my feet and the doc said the same thing about the break in period.....if there was one I did not notice it. Can't hurt to give them a try. Just sayin'

-MEB

Oh Mary Ellen. It hurts just reading your report.:eek: Maybe you should consider getting some insulated leather boots. My guess is they would cover 95% of your hiking in the Whites. You could save the plastic boots and the duct tape for Baxter Park and some of your extreme hikes. My leather winter boots are really cushy. I haven't had any foot problems with them and I have never had cold feet.:)

I don't hike in Superfeet ever since my heels grew a ring of blisters around them. If this happens, your heel is too wide for the insoles. I wound up with custom insoles.

I've been using Superfeet insoles for several years now. I have the green ones in my Bean Cresta hikers and the orange ones in my insulated leathers. I swear by them, but I have not used the Soles.

As recommended a couple of short hikes to break in any insole is a good idea. Try'em on a Monadnock climb.

I don't think it's a given that everyone needs arch supports or even shoes. We've been on this earth a long time, and my hunch is we've been going barefoot for a lot longer than we've been wearing shoes.

Early last summer I was on the summit of Mt Lassen, part-way thru my lunch when a mom and her 3 teenage kids joined me, along with a few others. After we visited for awhile I noticed that neither she nor her kids were wearing shoes. Now, for those of you who haven't climbed Mt Lassen in California, it's a rather mellow climb, not much more strenous that the average NH 4K aside from some moderate altitude-related stuff. But, it's a volcanic peak, part of the Cascade chain and last erupted in 1917, and in early summer has lots of snow and the summit cone is covered with some really mean volcanic rock. But, aside from a bit of dirt, nobody's feet seemed any the worse for wear. I was rather amazed by it all.

So much for 'needing' shoes.

Meet my freind Glen

I have feet that leave a complete print when they are wet. What Arches? one might say.
I have orthotics in every pair of shoes, sneakers, boots that I wear or I will cripple myself. The hard othotics bothered me for the first hike or two, but now they are permanent in my hiking boots.
I also have a big toe that would like to visit the little toe, so i have to wear a "divider" to keep him in line.
But as an alternative to surgery and months off from hiking, I will do these things.