Suspension bridges in New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
After watching some Indiana Jones movies this past weekend, I got to thinking about suspension bridges for hikers, and whether there were any left anywhere in New England.

Anyone know of any? I know of one....it's a 30-footer in Vermont over the Mill River at a place called Clarendon Gorge.

I'd love to know where I could find more.

Yup. Here's a few for starters in the WMNF: Wilderness Trail (aka Lincoln Woods Tr) in the Pemi, Dry River Tr (So. Presidentials) , one over the Saco (what's its name?). Lots more up here too. My favorite was the wonky one at Duck Pond on the NPT in the ADKs but technically it's not a suspension bridge.

There's two across the Pemi, the one near Lincoln Woods mentioned above and the one on Cedar Brook/Wilderness trail junction further up. And two on the Peabody, one just at the start of the Great Gulf trail, then another further upstream. There's a new really cool one at the start of the Davis Path.

There's a truss bridge on the J trail up Smarts (from the north).

-dave-

Last edited:
There's a huge one, moreso for pedestrians in general than hikers, right up by Bowdoin College in Maine.

Theres one up past Farmington (in New Sharon I think) that you can drive over. Not the place to go unless you have infinite faith in bridge engineers.

There's one near a shelter on the Old Job trail in VT. Without the guidebook/map in front of me - I think it splits east of the AT/LT not far north of Griffith Lake. I can look it up if you want more detail.

How about the two cables I crossed on the ME AT near Monson.
It might be taking liberty to call it a bridge, but I was definitely suspended.

My avatar is the Moriah Brook Trail bridge.

The photo's too small to read it, but just as I took it, a dozen or more young ladies entered the bridge from the other side. It was a nice way to begin the hike to Imp Shelter.

--M. said:
The photo's too small to read it, but just as I took it, a dozen or more young ladies entered the bridge from the other side. It was a nice way to begin the hike to Imp Shelter.

It would have been even better if they were going the other way.

There is a bridge just south of the Bushnell Falls shelter on the Phelps Trail near Johns Brook Lodge (Adk). I don't remember if technically speaking it is a suspension bridge but it was suspensful crossing it.

i think the bridge newjeep123 is referring to is "the wire bridge" in new portland, maine, which spans the carrabassett river. it is the oldest flood proof suspension bridge in america. the cables are the originals from england. while not a hikers bridge, you can walk across it, or you can drive across (i do daily). in winter you can snowmobile/ski acrosss it. it was voted one of the ten most beautiful bridges in the us by the association of bridge building engineers (or some group like that).

lumberzac said:
New York isn’t really part of New England, but I know there are currently 4 suspension bridges along the Northville-Placid Trail in the Adirondacks. One over the West Branch of the Sacandaga River at Whitehouse, one over Hamilton Lake Stream, one over Moose Creek, and one over Cold River.

I have hiked or heard about these: Johns Brook, Calamity Brook, Hudson (near Tahawus), Ausable River, Elk Lake/Panther Gorge, probably lots more.

Perhaps check The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology

rhihn said:
I have hiked or heard about these: Johns Brook, Calamity Brook, Hudson (near Tahawus), Ausable River, Elk Lake/Panther Gorge, probably lots more.

Perhaps check The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot about those. There is also on over the Opalesent River near Lake Colden.

John H Swanson said:
How about the two cables I crossed on the ME AT near Monson.
It might be taking liberty to call it a bridge, but I was definitely suspended.

If you are referring to the crossing near Moxie Pond/ Joe Hole, these cables were down in 2001 when I thru-hiked.