Sweat - How do you handle it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hike very hot also. all ive worn for years is a thin polypro top until treeline. last year switching from a hat to ear muffs helped me a lot also. on my legs i wear thin polypro bottom and unzipped wind pants. at -20 i still sweat when only wearing that. sweating means you are are hot, so you dont have to worry about getting cold. i carry a few layers in my pack, but in 20 years all ive ever put on is 3. i hike in polypro top to treeline, then put on my shell, and then im too hot again, usually its unzipped. one time when i stopped i put a fleece on in between..but i think that was only once. just make sure you carry a fat man parka in case you have to overnight unexpectedly. i have one that makes me like like mr. kool-aid if i put it on.

I sweat a lot, and my solution is to have VERY breathable clothes. GoreTex does not breath well at all... compared to other waterproof clothes it may breath well, but compared to a light fleece, or some other high-tech fabrics, it does not breath. I never put on a shell until it gets so windy that I have to.

I WAS a heavy sweater, and uncomfortable hiker... until...

Schoeller Extreme Dryskin 3XDRY Pants and Jacket.
Midweight Polartec Powerdry bottoms.
Expedition Weight Capilene Top.
Headband to treeline, SED3XDRY Hat for summit (with jacket hood).
Expedition weight glove liners with empty goretex shells.
Retro-X windfleece for summit.

Good to go from -15 to +35.

Two Layers for hiking. Never more, never less. When I stop the EW top actually dries my skin and wicks out to dry! I feel warmer and more comfortable than when moving! When I hit the parking lot at the end of the day my EW top is virtually dry. My midweight's felt like they just came out of the wash. I resisted wearing the EW thinking it would overheat me. Just the opposite, it keeps me dry all day. I think the extra thickness pulls the moisture away, while trapping the extra heat and using it to purge the moisture out through the super porous softshell top.

Stop in the sun, enjoy the beautiful outdoors!

Trying not to sweat it

I'm a heavy sweater too. (Ragwool heavy) My strategy is to start the hike with bare minimum layers. If you sweat a lot that means you warm up quickly. I have been known to hike in short sleeves. Of course I layer up whenever I stop.

Also, I use gloves and hats to regulate my temperature. If I get warm, I take off gloves to bleed off excess heat. Or my hat. It's taken a couple years of experimentation to come up with a workable system. No it's not perfect but I do pretty well.

If it is too late and you are wet, then you have to work on evaporation. Kick up the pace. Put on an extra wicking layer. Create more heat and let it dry you.

Maybe you can carry a pack towel to dry some of it off.

Pre-soaking in anti-perspirant isn't the answer. Your body sweats to regulate the heat. Stopping that process during heavy exercise doesn't do you any good. I'm not a doctor so I don't want to suggest it can do harm.

I say changing is a last resort. I haven't had to do it on a hike but it sure feels good to change at the end of a hike.

Alot of good thoughts here.So I'll add my 0.02 Abase layer of EMS techwick(I think it breaths the best.Try one with a 1/4 zipper to further regulate(keep cool) and keep the shell in the pack untill its needed(above tree line wind or wet.try just the base layer?I do.The externial frame may be a good idea,I haden't thought of that.Get back to us after he tries it. ;)

My approach is much the same as Stan's. I'd like to underline one word he used: "VEST" -

I'm pretty new to winter hiking (it's just my third winter), but I've had some trouble with sweating while hiking and even just getting around in winter and found that a vest is a great option to have as an insulating layer. I have a long sleeved wicking layer to start with and will - depending on conditions - add a fleece vest and/or a waterproof breathable shell. The vest keeps the core warm, and the arms breathe far better than they would with full insulating top with pit zips. I also keep a fleece jacket near the top of my bag in case it gets much colder and can use that instead of - or in addition to - the vest as things get colder. I haven't found as good a solution for my legs, but zide zips help a lot.

The headband that was already mentioned is also key... like the vest, it provides warmth in the key places but alllows for a lot more air to circulate... if my head feels cool, I'll put on the head of my shell jacket before I'll put on a hat or a balaclava.

This is getting to be an SNSA (Sweaters, Not So Anonymous) convention :)

I'm another, and I have to agree with pretty much everything said so far. To recap what works for me:

NO deoderant - the body needs to sweat so let it.

Mid-weight capliene long johns with boxers over to help keep the family jewels warm, EMS windshear pants over that. Full side zips allow lots of venting options without removing anything. Baby powder in the groin area helps reduce and treat chaffing.

Lightweight Wright Sock merinos used as liners (wonderful flat seams) under Patagonia expedition weight socks. Both wick well and while the outer sock is quite damp at the end of a hike my feet are not overly wet. Gaiters aid in keeping the feet warm. I use Salomon SM Lite boots. No plastics, but no overnights (yet).

Long-sleeve EMS Techwick shirt under Marmot Driclime Windshirt (NOT the heavier jacket) The windshirt has mesh pit vents but I'll unzip for more venting or remove it completely if too warm.

On all but the coldest of days I use only Mountain Hardwear Tempest SL Gloves. These are very lightweight but windproof. These too will come off to allow heat to escape.

I tend to mostly wear a cheap synthetic wool hat as the moisture lost from the head wicks through it and frosts up on the outside and not in my hair. A balaclava will go under that if it gets too windy.

I carry either down vest or jacket (depending on how cold I expect it to be) to throw on for stops and make all stops short. Drink and munch little and often to keep the body hydrated and fuelled.

I'll only carry a hard shell, EMS non-Gore, if I intend to go above treeline for an extended period or expect wet precipitation. I know I'm going to sweat like a pig in it but in cold driving rain I'd rather have warm sweat against my skin.

Obviously I'll carry extra layers for use in an emergency but I was amazed at how little one needs to wear and still be warm in bitterly cold conditions. Adjusting ones pace can also regulate body temp.

The 'start out chilly' advice is also good. I begin that process early by turning down the heat in the car as I near the trailhead. Not quite such a shock when the door opens that way :) I'll also wear a heavy down jacket while gearing up and throw it in the car right before getting started. A good stiff pace will soon shake off the chills.

Works for me.

Bob

As someone stated earlier, a different pattern to breaks in winter helps too. In winter I take more breaks, but shorter.

My opinion about a base layer is that it should fit very snugly, right next to your skin. If it isn't mostly touching, it can't be wicking.

I too would mostly not start off wearing a shell layer. If I did, it'd be off within a quarter mile or so. For example, on Moosilauke this past weekend with a start temp of -9, I was in midweight fleece tights and a midweight duofold t-neck, light fleece jacket, mittens, and a hat. I was chilly to start but with some hard hiking was completely warm again within a mile or two. The flip top mittens were open, the hat was off, and the jacket & pit zips open. Added a second layer (heavy weight fleece & expedition weight mock t-neck) as we went up, and finally a full shell layer just before tree line.

Instead of an external frame, you can also wear an internal more loosely. Sometimes for venting I'll lengthen the shoulder straps, tighten the sternum, and let the pack hang away from my back. Tighten everything back up, and your insulation returns.

Since I'm a cheapskate, my base layers tend to come from sierra trading post. I like their Wickers stuff, especially the t-necks. They're thin enough that they aren't too warm as a single layer, but insulate beautifully once something is worn over them.

I wore silk as a base layer... ONCE. Bad news. It holds water almost as bad as cotton. Your friend should ditch the silk and go for a thin synthetic base layer. I too sweat a lot. I wear a thin polypro turtleneck with an EMS "Tech-wick" long-sleeved shirt over that. Unless it's really cold, that's all I wear, and it works for me. Wearing an ear warmer band instead of a hat also makes a big difference on how much I perspire. He needs to try a few different combinations to find the most comfortable type of layers. I'm still trying different things.

HikerBob said:
This is getting to be an SNSA (Sweaters, Not So Anonymous) convention :)

My name is Barbarossa and I'm wet and smelly.

(Hi, Barb!)

I think it has been said already; dress lightly, start chilly. I'm sure your partner can find the best fabric combination from all the many suggestions.

This past weekend I wore a microfibre t shirt under a merino turtleneck and carried my knit cap more than I wore it.

One trick I found that cools my Norwegian steam: try gulping, not sipping water. It's like swallowing ice cubes!

Sweat was a problem, no more.

The Goretex Shell (pants and jacket) that was "necessary" was always a hugh dissappointment. Zipping, unzipping, leaving the jacket off until absolutely necessarry, putting arms out through the pit zips....

All that is history: Schoeller Fabric solved the problem. No more zipping.
Put it on, hike all day, end the hike dry, well nearly. Where was this stuff 20 yrs ago?

I just drove home in my hiking pants. 5hrs in the car after a 12 hr hike ... and I was comfortable! All I can say is I want to be buried in these things.

Oh, I almost never wear a hat. Mkes me too hot. If I need protection I put up the jacket hood. Also when it's below zero I wear a pair of ear muffs.

JHS

John H Swanson said:
If you are not cold in the parking lot, you're overdressed!

Sort of. I have a big heavy yak-wool sweater that I wear over things while getting ready. Last thing I do before leaving, is to take it off.

BTW, on the Seema-hike, I wore my daily comuting clothes. I have to deal with the sweating/breathing problem daily. I find that winter-cycling pants (tights) are great for hiking.. Only problem is that if you are night hiking, and someone shines a light at you, the reflector swatches tend to really shock them.

Your legs are doing most of the work and generating most of the heat. I generally wear windpants with side zips over lightweight polypro longies. As I warm up, I open the side zips or take the windpants off altogether. On my last hike I wore zip-leg pants. When I got warm, I unzipped the bottoms and tucked them under my gaiters. Worked nicely.

I always make sure that one of my upper layers is a short sleeved shirt of some sort, so that I can really strip down if it turns into a windless day in the high 20s.

Once I get the number of layers roughly right, I fine tune it by taking off or putting on gloves and hat and unzipping my top layers as the need arises.

I go with the following sequence from inside to out. I wear my summer cool-max on the inside, maybe a bergalene for the next and a fleece (maybe teamed with wool for my upper on the next level) then goretex. I tend to agree with "BobandGeri" regarding starting out a little cold. Layer up just enough to not shiver and skip the shell unless it's required. Build up your layers as you go vs. tearing down as you go. It's somtimes easier said than done, but you have to fight your urge to remain as toasty as possible. Some other advice would be to use Certain Dri, or Drysol. These are prescription strength anti perspirants that are of nuclear type power. If the sweating is local, you can apply this the night before. Believe me, you won't be sweating where you apply it for a couple of days, no matter what.

Last edited:
shadowcat said:
my partner is doing a pretty good job layering. a lite base layer, mid layer, maybe a fleece jacket then an outer gortex, or other material jacket. usually once he starts to get warm he'll ditch the fleece layer or the jacket...
Too much, IMHO. I was on the same hike as Bob&Geri. I started out with a long sleeve poly under a fleece vest. That's it. I started cold, warmed uop quickly, and stayed comforable until I threw the Gore-tex shell on for the South Summit (Moosilauke). If I start to sweat, I find that I continue to sweat a lot. Once my layers get wet, I'm done, so it's time to change.

Best advice I ever got: put as little clothes on as I can stand. Once I realized that I would warm up comfortably after 5 minutes of hiking, I was all set. I hardly ever need to remove a layer (unless it warms up a lot). I rarely leave the trailhead with a jacket on.

I use the lightest capeliene I have and augment it with either a schoeller top or a light, light nylon top if it's windy (like a patagonia dragonfly). I let my pack hang off my shoulders to prevent the sweaty back problem. Schoeller for the legs, if it'll be really cold light capeliene under that. I regulate as best I can with hat gloves and pack.

I still sweat in most cases but rarely is it really bad.

Drysol sounds really interesting for the feet but I would think twice about using elsewhere except maybe on your back.

I resisted wearing the EW thinking it would overheat me. Just the opposite, it keeps me dry all day. I think the extra thickness pulls the moisture away, while trapping the extra heat and using it to purge the moisture out through the super porous softshell top.

BINGO! same experience for me, w/ Patagonia EW long john bottoms and old hand-me-down Orvis Polartec fleece top. Both very "fluffy" and porous and never seem to get soaked, i suppose due to extra evaporative surface area. Only problem is they dont block the wind; hence the development of high-tec fabrics like Schoeller Dryskin Extreme. ;)

Sometimes I hike in the winter with only a polypro shirt on top. I find I get nipplitis with this setup, which can be irritating. If only they had nipple-muffs, I would be all set!

-percious

I agree with: no shell, start cold.

Keep the shell handy for stops, but don't hike in it. Also, the lower arms and hands have a lot of blood close to the surface, so you can use them along with your head to control your temperature. Wear the lightest glove possible (or none, if you can) while hiking, and roll or push your sleeves up toward your elbows when you get warm, and you already have removed your hat.