Talk to me about the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
Trying to decide whether to go to the ADKs for Catskills for my summer vacation--the week before Labor Day. I've been to the Daks twice and done some nice hiking and backpacking around the flowed lands--hit Algonquin, Marcy, Gothics, WolfJaw etc.... Glorious area.

Looking for something new in the NE area this year. Would appreciate links to known VFTT threads about the Catskills as I know little of the area. Don't mean to make folks repeat advice that it likely in good supply here--just looking for a shortcut as it were. ;)

My plan would probably be to base camp it, whether by car or backpack to hit some peaks, general fitness level not being what it could be :eek: . I'm probably good for the typical day hike 8-12 miles, 2000 to 3000 vertical.

Much thanks for any advice.

Shouldn't this be in the New York Q & A section?

I have no experience yet with the Catskills, but plenty in the 'dacks. You can't go wrong with the latter, that's for sure. The possible area of concern for me would be your mileage and to a lesser extent, vertical. While vertical in the Adirondacks is not terribly big, many of the hikes are over twelve miles. It's not untypical to have a 3-6 mile flat approach before the true climbing begins, so right away, you've got a 6-12 miles. But, based on the peaks you've already done, you should already be familiar with this and have a sense of how to plan your hikes.

Also, there are a couple of good options for bandit camping in the area.

Last edited:
Seeker said:
Trying to decide whether to go to the ADKs for Catskills for my summer vacation--the week before Labor Day. I've been to the Daks twice and done some nice hiking and backpacking around the flowed lands--hit Algonquin, Marcy, Gothics, WolfJaw etc.... Glorious area.

Looking for something new in the NE area this year. Would appreciate links to known VFTT threads about the Catskills as I know little of the area. Don't mean to make folks repeat advice that it likely in good supply here--just looking for a shortcut as it were. ;)

My plan would probably be to base camp it, whether by car or backpack to hit some peaks, general fitness level not being what it could be :eek: . I'm probably good for the typical day hike 8-12 miles, 2000 to 3000 vertical.

Much thanks for any advice.

two night backpack question

favorite Catkill peak

woodland valley compground