Telemark Ski Gear Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
Hey everyone . . . so that time is here again, the time to consider winter gear. My boy wants to start learning to telemark ski and is looking for gear. I know this has been discussed somewhat in the past but I couldn't find a thread specifically about telemark gear and the various options for learning on slopes versus the backcountry. He will be learning on the ski slopes this winter so any and all suggestions and recommendations and advice about the different options would be VERY helpful. Thanks all.

sli74

Strongly recommend renting a few times(or for the entire season) before purchasing something.

Plastic boots will give much better support. Scarpa T2's are what I use.

Some good sites for research include: www.telemarktips.com and www.couloirmag.com

Learning how to telemark well requires a pretty good investment in time, don't be discouraged after your first couple times out.

Last edited:
1) Renting gear is a great way to start without a massive cash outlay. Expense can also be mitigated by using an alpine (downhill) shaped mid fat (waist in the mid to low 70s) ski that is sold to beginners or women. You want a soft flexing ski. These can often be found as former rental skis for around $50 and are quite servicable.

2) There is no such thing as brand loyalty for boots. Use what fits. I would suggest something like a Scarpa T2 or Garmont Veloce (both old models) for a safe starter boot. I would avoid super stiff tele race boots or lower cut plastic boots for touring.

3) For lift served, I would suggest releasable bindings.

4) NATO clinics are a great way to learn the turn, at least in my experience.

5) If he doesn't ski at all, better to start on alpine gear with beginner lessons.

6) If he's interested in backcountry skiing, I strongly advocate going to a xc touring center and spending a few days learning kick and glide. Backcountry skiing is as much xc skiing as downhill tele.

7) Backcountry or Couloir will have the best info on current tele (downhill oriented) skis, boots and bindings. Support NewEngland and get Backcountry!

8) My site has info on lighter backcountry skis (see my sig) but for learning tele, he would prolly do better on beefier gear.

Seema,
I would second the rental recomendation . as tle ski gear is pricy and if you do not likeit you will have lost a good chunk of cash even if you resell it .
. IME and EMS both have good rentals though IME in N Conway might have a some what more experined person to help you guysp out . But IME might cost more .

Brian, what do you want to do? If you are looking to learn the tele turn so you can ski on ski slopes, you'll want to rent beefy plastic boots and alpine style skis. That's going to give you the quickest learning curve, the most enjoyable experience, and the least amount of pain. Most places that rent gear will go with Scarpa T-2 or Garmont Synergy at least. Go big, it'll be worth it. Once you've had a few lessons / NATO clinic, demo a bunch of skis at a telefest and then pick up a pair of skis/boots/bindings. Keep in mind that it will set you back around $1000 for new gear.

If you are looking to ski in the backcountry, touring on rolling terrain, turning when you need to, then learning on the lifts may be overkill. You won't be getting many turns in the backcountry and a good snowplow is more worthwhile. If you want to tele at Tucks or the like, then follow the path above.

If you are serious about lift skiing, buy big boots. The Scarpa T-3/4 or Garmont Excursion, while fine boots, really don't cut it on the slopes. They'll work, but you'll outgrow them in a short time, and they're not stiff enough for serious bumps or steeps. As Dave.M said,where what fits. I have wide feet and can't fit in Scarpas, Garmonts are for me. With the lousy exchange rate, these boots are up around $600, so spend time trying them on, and hopefully demoing them.

Don't worry about bindings yet, demo/rent for a bit first.

As for skis, go wide. Your choices will be limited to the rentals, so go to a demo day or telefest and try, try, try.

If you buy gear, start with boots. All the rest of the stuff will come along later. Boots first. Actually, helmet and kneepads first, then boots. :)

-dave-

I'll second the notion for looking at telemarktips.com.

As you probably figured out by now, this is an expensive time of year to be buying telemark equipment! I just checked the prices for the new Atomic stuff and they are through the roof.

Here's a thought - take the plunge and get him a new pair of T-2's and a decent binding (I like Hammerheads but there are other great bindings out there). Mount the bindings on any old shaped alpine ski (even a ski that is 2-3 years old will do the job) and have him use the setup for the season.

If he falls in love with telemark skiing (very likely :) ), then you'll have 75% of a great tele setup. Wait till spring to purchase tele skis.

If he doesn't like it, then sell the boots and bindings. The resale value of slightly used T-2's and HH's is probably 75% or more of original price.

Honestly, I don't know many people who try it and don't get hooked.

Great advice above. If he can't wait for the snow to fly before delving into Tele skiing, here are a couple great books:

Free-Heel Skiing: Telemark and Parallel Techniques for All Conditions

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-9130290-9944149?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Allen & Mike's Really Cool Telemark Tips (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...1/102-9130290-9944149?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

You can't learn to ski from a book, but these books will help to introduce and reinforce the key concepts to slipping on snow with free-heeled ski gear.

Go to Dave's website. It is VERY helpful for matching gear to the terrain you wish to ski. Having said that, the learning curve will be much faster if you begin on piste with relatively heavy gear, and then transition to lighter gear for off piste adventures if your kid wants to do so.

Thanks for all the advice. We will check out those websites. Now I just have to find a place for him to rent gear from . . . any suggestions on that?

BTW, funny I didn't realize that it sounded like I was talking about my "kid" . . . I lovingly refer to my boyfriend as "my boy" or "the boy" . . . didn't even think how that would read to others . . . just for the record, he is a kid at heart but not my kid :D :)

T-gear can be tough to rent... up north, you may luck out at Prospect Peak in VT. Down south, I know you can get 'em at White Grass in WV, but its a bit of a hike from Mass! Good luck!

I think REI rents tele gear. Rental gear can be tough to find because, unlike alpine gear, there's not enough demand for the manufacturers to make a "line" of rental quality equipment. This makes stocking first line quality gear for rentals pretty expensive for some of the mainstream ski shops. On the way to Sugarloaf, there's Aardvark Outfitters in Farmington, ME, but its not exactly local. I do know a lot of folks pick up their rentals there on Fridays on the way to the mountain, take lessons/ski for the weekend and return them on Sundays on the way home.

Last edited:
Ragged doesn't rent.

The best tele rentals are at ski areas which have tele lessons: MRG and Sunday River are two good ones. REI got new gear last year so their line-up is pretty good right now.

-dave-

Seema, Brian & posters: good thread that I learned from, too.

Dave.M interesting site - I hadn't taken the time before.

Let me add something to the question at hand (learning telemark) - either backcountry or lift assist; what should an experienced downhill-X/C-snowboarder expect for a learning curve... pretty easy transfer of knowledge and technique??

Bubba,

Thanks for the kind words.

If you are coming from a solid eastern alpine background and the goal is to learn to tele, the steepest part of the learning curve for *me* was to learn to ski on the rear foot. It's very, very easy for alpine reactions to kick and to turn on the outside (forward) foot. Here's my write up of my time with Dickie Hall. Much of it won't make sense until you are on snow but it gives the idea of rear foot.
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/trip-reports/nato-01.txt

If the goal is to ski in the backcountry on logging roads and hiking trails, Dave Metsky is spot on. You don't telemark often there. Much better to learn basic nordic turns like the step turn and wedge. And just as importantly, you need to learn these things without the aid of a high backed ski boot. This is why I suggest folks take xc lessons for backcountry skiing.

Lastly, knowing the ropes about winter hiking is crucial. I've seen a lot of good skiers ski in over their head by virtue of having stronger skiing skills than winter hiking skills.

Man, I just can't wait for the snow to come!!

Dave,

Thanks for that link to the NATO class write-up. I know I'll refer to that before I get on the snow this season.

Bob

Ditto.

I have raced and backcountry X/C ski. It's the telemark turn with regard to a transfer of knowledge a/o muscle memory & muscle development that I was trying to get a grip on.

Have skied downhill on X/C skis many times when I needed grins :eek:

I agree that a rental or two or three is the best way to start. EMS in N. Conway rents back-country skis. Not so sure about tele skis. Best to call ahead and ask. One of the benefits of renting is that one can try different widths and lengths of skis to determine which is preferable.

End-of-season is a good time to purchase. There are deals to be had on left over skis and boots (and sometimes, but not always, bindings). And the ski areas sometimes sell off their rentals.

Also agree that the NATO clinics are a very good educational option.

For practicing turns, lift served is great. Less time spent shlepping uphill means more time doing turns. A few of the ski areas run "tele days"; that is... you get a reduced price lift ticket on a certain week-day if you show up with tele gear.

And... it DOES take practice. And more practice.

Also agree that telemarktips.com is a great place to visit.

Also agree that "Allen & Mike's Telemark Tips" is a great book.

With all due respect to Dickie Hall/NATO and his lessons, I got very little out of them as a beginner. They seem geared to more advanced skiers.

I did have excellent lessons at Stowe, Sugarloaf, and Bolton Valley.