tent hefters not-anonymous

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much does your tent weigh?

• Total voters

sleeping bear

Reaction score
Earlier this month I purchased a Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2. My initial reaction at the store was that at 7 pounds it was waaay too heavy. But, the guy did a good job of selling me on it's features.

I used the tent for a week in Arizona and then this weekend for 2 nights. I frickin love my new tent! It has so many features; panels to unzip, the fly rolls halfway up, ventillation, windows, incredible fly coverage, it looks like a spaceship etc. etc. It may be heavy but it actually fits two people and is comfy to lie around in-rain or shine. The two vestibules are also large enought that the dogs were able to sleep under them without much trouble.

Let me just say- with all of the ultra light trends I was hesitant to buy such a "heavy" tent, but am glad I did.

Anybody else got a whopper tent too?

Bear in mind, your results might be skewed somewhat. My tent is heavy because it is a winter tent and the poll doesn't take that into account. When I get a new summer tent, I hope to keep the weight under 3 lbs.

I checked off everything but the hammock, as I have four different tents. I have a 7 1/2 for summer backpacks with my family. I have a huge monster that is for 'city-camping' only. I also have my 4lb. Bibler for winter trips. And, last, a 4lb. TNF for three-season one-two person trips.

Hammocks Rule! Except when it's really buggy or very cold. I do have an EMS Moonlight 4.5 lb tent that is tight for 2, but the hammock is MUCH more comfortable and can be set up almost anywhere (except a desert :rolleyes: ).

Last edited:
I own a Sierra Designs Meteor Light. I love it! It comes in at a little under 8 pounds pack weight, but its a fair trade off for a 2 person tent that has the kind of space it has (about 40 s.f.). Origionally I had to carry the whol thing myself because Jen just did not have the pack space. But we got her a new pack, so next time out we can split the workload, thus I expect to only be carrying roughly half of the 7+ pounds.

Brian

ARGH !! I didn't read it carefully enough. I voted lightweight because I saw the hammock on the sub 3 pound option, but really I use a tarptent during the summer, so for 2 of us, we carry a tarptent. Sorry for the mix up.

sli74

ETA: Though the tent I am currently drooling over and trying to sneak and buy is 4.5 pounds, so maybe I voted correctly afterall.

Last edited:
mine is pretty lightweight (sub 3 lbs), but I may be in the market for a new one soon. Problem with mine is its incredibly cheap so I have to use the repair kit a bit more often than I like -- at least it came with one tho :)

We have a Walrus Rapeede and it is just an excellent tent. It's a 4 season,free standing with the "one pole" system that sets up in 2.5 minutes.
In the winter,tent set up time is a major item. Weighs in at 5lbs.
For the times I feel energetic,we also have a Walrus Warp Expedition. A tad over 6lbs,same "one pole" system,lots of extra space and 2 14ft vestibules.

21.1 oz total

For long distance backpacking my shelter weighs 21.1 oz;

13.3 oz Silnylon Tarp, 8'x10'

2.6 oz Ground Cloth, 2 mil plastic

1.5 oz Triptease cord, 50'

3.2 oz Stakes, plastic, 8

0.5 oz Stuff Sack

Tent

When I first started to backpack I did not even carry a tent for the first summer and only bought a tent when it became clear that the winter season would not keep me out of the woods. Since then it is rare that I don't carry one, almost always do I take one. Sometimes I take only a bivy bag.

We have two, but I couldn't vote twice, so I voted with the lighter one in mind (Henry Shires tarptent, 34 oz., I think). The other is an EMS Starlite II, which I think is 4 lb.