Tent on a cot?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
Poking through the Cabela's catalog that came in the mail and I see a small tent (bivy) that is designed to strap to a cot.

Cabela's Cot/Bivy Tent

I've never used a cot but am curious of the benefits of this setup over a larger tent with a cot inside. Listed weight is almost 6 pounds without the cot I wouldn't see it as a backpacking item. Maybe handy for the car camper with a small trunk? The price isn't bad at $59.99.

I know a guy from AZ who routinely car camps roadside with a cot and no tent, I guess it doesn't rain much there and he's more concerned about things that crawl than bugs

I would say the advertised item sets up fast with little footprint and comes down fast if somebody asks you to move along, and is probably a high-margin item as it has less complexity than tents of similar price

No, I'm not buying one

wetland

I suppose if your backpacking playground was around a lot of wetlands then I could see a benefit in having a cot that elevates you off the ground.

But the weight is not practical for backpacking. However, canooeingCamping or kayaking it might be possible to pack these in without the detriment of heavy weight.

Looks to me like a classic example of a problem looking for a solution.

60 Bucks?

Sounds like maybe the quality could be an issue. Like my good friend says, "Everything costs at least 50 bucks." (and everything takes at least an hour) So $60? Wasted money I would guess.

Catalogs such as Cabelas, Gander Mtn., etc. are not aimed at backpackers, and sleeping solutions like that are certainly not intended for backpacking. Rather, they appeal to a person who just doesn't want to sleep on the ground, and doesn't have to carry the tent & cot too far from the pick-up truck. Where I work, we also sell the Kamp-Rite Tent Cot - same idea, but much larger and heavier. I'm sticking with my Big Agnes UL-1.