Tent storage-stuff or roll?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyfeet

Reaction score
Is there any problem stuffing a tent and the fly into the stuff sack instead of folding and rolling it?

folding a tent makes creases that can become weak spots over time. Stuffing is the way to go -- make sure it's dry though before you stuff.

First I was told to fold it, and the tent was fine. Then I was told by other hikers to stuff it (the tent, that is!), and the tent was fine. Then I was told to roll it, and the tent was fine. I couldn't think of any other ways to put it in the sack, so I picked the easiest one (stuffing). The tent is still fine. It takes a little more time, but it works. You don't need to use the sack the tent came in (or any sack at all, under some conditions). Watch out for any metal grommets, etc. that might damage the tent under pressure.

Here is my technic

When I do bring a tent it is normally a one person tent, but I've done this technic with a 2 person tent as well.

Purchase a compression sack that is way too big for your tent. It makes it much more easy to stuff the tent, then use the compressions to take out the slack. I don't compress it too much for fear of stressing seems and such. I store the hardware for the tent in a different pouch to prevent the poles and other stuff from ripping the tent.

Why even use the stuff sack, unless you are attaching the tent to the outside of your bag. I just stuff the tent and fly into the bottom of my pack above and around my sleeping bag. Since it fills up all the empty, odd-sized spaces the tent takes up less room--and takes less time to stuff.

Halite said:
Why even use the stuff sack, unless you are attaching the tent to the outside of your bag. I just stuff the tent and fly into the bottom of my pack above and around my sleeping bag. Since it fills up all the empty, odd-sized spaces the tent takes up less room--and takes less time to stuff.

And if the tent is wet?

Doug

DougPaul said:
And if the tent is wet?

Doug

I guess I could've been more specific about my packing methods: anything that needs to stay dry--sleeping bag and warm clothing--goes into waterproof stuff sacks. Little items that are a pain to chase around the pack go in mesh or lightweight stuff sacks. Tent, bivy and rain gear--wet or dry--get stuffed into the pack without stuff sacks.

I removed the divider intended to separate the sleeping bag from the rest of the pack, since the sleeping bag space was either too large for my summer bag or too small for my winter bag. With this removed and the tent out of a stuff sack, space is used pretty efficiently.

Halite said:
I guess I could've been more specific about my packing methods: anything that needs to stay dry--sleeping bag and warm clothing--goes into waterproof stuff sacks. Little items that are a pain to chase around the pack go in mesh or lightweight stuff sacks. Tent, bivy and rain gear--wet or dry--get stuffed into the pack without stuff sacks.

I removed the divider intended to separate the sleeping bag from the rest of the pack, since the sleeping bag space was either too large for my summer bag or too small for my winter bag. With this removed and the tent out of a stuff sack, space is used pretty efficiently.

Another approach is to put stuff in oversize stuff sacks--that way the items can change shape and/or position to fill the pack space efficiently. (If you pack each stuff sack tightly, then you have a bunch of fixed shape "rocks" to fit into your pack.)

After some experience with an overly-divided pack (an early '70s Gerry frame pack with 4 horizontal compartments), I only buy undivided packs. Much easier to use the space efficiently and one can fit larger items. No zippers on the main compartment either (unreliable).

So another alternative is to place the tent in on oversized stuff sack so it can change shape to fit the pack and not spread too much water around inside the pack.

Doug