The Big Loop?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
So I had a nice hike this past Saturday starting from Lincoln Woods trailhead, veering left onto the Osseo Trail to summit both Flume and Liberty before heading down Liberty Springs to a car spotted vehicle. Close to 11 mile hike which we started at 5:45am and finished at 11:45am. Made good time, but we met these 2 hikers going up the same route as us from Lincoln Woods. We kept catching each other on the trail at various points before I finally was curious atop Liberty if they were doubling back to their car since it had already been 7 miles to the top of LIberty.

Turns out these 2 guys were from North Carolina. And they were up here on vacation and had read the big loop was a great hike to see many peaks. Now I'm sure there have been plenty of people who have done this "big loop" over an extended overnights hike. Maybe 2 or 3 nights. But no, these 2 had it in their heads they were making it around this entire loop and back to the Lincoln Woods parking lot in a day.

What is the Big Loop? OK, they started at LIncoln Woods. Took the Osseo up to Flume and then peaked Liberty. From there, I saw their "big day loop" of continuing on the ridge to peak Little Haystack, Lincoln, Lafayette, Garfield, South Twin, down Twinway to peak Guyot, Bond and Bondcliff to loop back down to the Wilderness Trail and back to Lincoln Woods. I did a brief total mileage and it looked like around 32 miles they expected to do and be back at their car before night. I tried to tell them they were crazy, but they had it in their head to go for it.

Considering they started at 6am and peaked Liberty with us at 10am, that was 4 hours for 7 miles. Thinking of if they had a chance of making it, I projected at their current pace, another 4 hours of 7 miles would be 2:00, 14 miles and 6:00, 21 miles. It gets dark around 8:30 so by 8:30 they'd be lucky to have 24/25 miles. And I'm going by their morning pace which is always a little quicker than later. I just don't see how they were able to get it all done in one day. Is that loop even possible for anyone to accomplish in one day??? I mean they didn't even have huge overnight packs so I'm not even sure if they had enough food/water to last their whole day. It was just inconceivable what they were attempting to do, but they didn't want to be talked out of it. I'm in decent shape and 11 miles that day was enough for me, especially the pounding of Liberty Spring coming down. But damn, I had never heard of such a thing in one day.

Last edited:
Stinkyfeet said:
It's do-able in a day by most fit hikers.

Stinkyfeet is being modest. She could probably do the loop in 4 hours without breaking a sweat. ;)

Wow, I did that search and am very surprised how quick some can do that loop. Even with the add-ons too. Damn.

Still, that being said, these two cats from North Carolina were no speed demons whatsoever, and we passed them up the trail to each peak (Flume & Liberty) with one definitely already looking half toasted at 10am.

Reading accounts of that Pemi-Loop is pretty impressive though. I could probably only handle maybe half that loop at this point.

They could always drop down to 13 Falls from Garfield or Galehead and then walk out via Franconia Brook and the Wilderness Trail. Or bail to Franconia Notch and hitch a ride. :D

-dave-

Backpacker mag

In May issue, Backpacker had a write up as mentioned by Stinkyfeet, for what they called "America's Hardest Day Hikes"
The Pemmi Loop was rated #2 only being outdone by Timberline Trail to Mt Hood.
The article forewarns all listed hikes to be extreme class, and mentions the "reckless hiker" laws enforced in the granite state.

I think Frodo, member on this board, did this day trip in June.
I have only done this via overnights myself...3 nights...I am wicked slow. :eek:

Brownie

Stinkyfeet said:
Perhaps my definition of "fit" is different from yours. I'll give you that!

:rolleyes:

If that ain't the understatement of the century, I'm not sure what is.

Well I tried my best to discourage those 2 from going on with their idea as it was quite obvious they were not in tip-top shape and also were already in awe of the climb up Flume, that last section up Osseo with the stairs. They said they were surprised how much tougher these trails were compared to where they usually hiked in Maryland and Carolina. And that was just up to Flume and Liberty at that point. It did not seem like they had any fall back plan at all and were not really sure of themselves exactly even where they were until I broke out my map with them.

They did say they read about the loop, so maybe it was that Backpacker mag, who knows. But they seemed way over their heads on that one. Even so, I haven't heard anything in the news about anyone needing rescue so hopefully they made it through OK, even if it took an extra day for 'em.

The Pemi-Loop is done as a day hike by "fit hikers" almost every weekend all summer long. Yes it is long and hard, but you certainly don't have to be an Ultra Runner to do it. You have to be an Ultra Runner to do it fast (under 10 hours), but it is done mostly by "fit hikers" who want to do something long and challenging. Going at a moderate 2mph pace, it takes around 15 hours. The reasons why it has become so popular is: no car spotting required, lots of places to get water, numerous bail out routes, not as crowded as a Presidential Traverse, and it is extremely scenic. Backpacker Magazine just made it a little more popular... :D

The Presidential Traverse (which is done by hundreds of "fit hikers" every summer), is a little easier than a Pemi-Loop, but not by much...

Frodo said:
The Presidential Traverse (which is done by hundreds of "fit hikers" every summer), is a little easier than a Pemi-Loop, but not by much...
Especially in foul weather. A few of us found that out, and a few of the hardier ones still pushed on and completed it (Presi traverse), but not me.

Pemi Loops are being more and more routinely done each year. No one says they are easy, but mere mortals attempt and complete them quite often with proper preparation!

I don't think anyone could make a +30 mile hike sound "easy". I agree with Stinkyfeet and Frodo that it doesn't take their super-human level of fitness to do the Pemi loop in a day. As Frodo pointed out, at two miles an hours, it would take roughly 15 hours. Keep in mind too, that the several miles on the Wilderness Trail are very easy. With that said, I have not yet attempted a Pemi Loop but plan to next month.

I think it is more doable in comparison to some of the other traditional long hikes because, should you get to Garfield Ridge Trail and find that your time or physical condition are such that you don't wish to continue, there are multiple marked, maintained trails to easily ditch out to Lincoln Woods.

As for fitness and experience, I would certainly discourage anyone who hasn't hiked at least +20's recently to do some training. It's important to know what your body requires and how it reacts to longer miles. I'm finding that as I get older, my hiking style for big hikes (>mid 20's) has to change... not always easy to admit I can't just move along at top speed all day anymore...

Apparently Tom Parent e-mailed Sherpa John sometime last night with the NEW RECORD time being 7:14.

Hey that's me...

I tried to stay with Alex but he was too fast. He ran up the whole Bondcliff trail...literally. Now the Bondcliff trail is mostly buff and relatively easy to run but with all those miles in front of you? Sherpette, it was 7:30 not 7:14.

I was happy to make it to Galehead in 3:30...pretty respectable if I do say so myself. I quickly bonked after Garfield and had to nap on top of Lafayette for 20 minutes. Steve and Deb caught up with me on Osseo with a couple miles left in the loop...a little disheartening as they are even older than Stinkyfeet! :eek:

BTW, wasn't the weather just perfect on Saturday afternoon?

TOM

In defense of Stinkyfeet, she said "REALLY fit hikers." I believe capital letters triple the emphatic value.

REALLY impressive, all of you!

Oops - it was pointed out the REALLY was an addendum to Stinkyfeet's post... silly me. Must remember to read the fine print...!