The differences of the Whites verses ADKS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmac

Reaction score
As of this past summer I have started my quest of the ADK46...my question I pose to all of you ..
What do you find are the differences and or similarities of the White Mountain peaks verses the ADK peaks? Difficulty? Accessibly? Trail conditions? Trail markings? etc........
kmac

Speaking of the NH48 vs the ADK46 -
I find that the trails in NH get going quickly, climb more quickly than the ADKs. With some exceptions.

IMHO the NH peaks have much shorter approaches than the ADKs. Exceptions of course. Really nothing comparable in NH to the shortest approaches to Allen Mt, Couchie Redfield, Cliff, Skylight, Hough or Emmons.

Up until the late 90s, some 20 of the ADK46 were trailless with herd paths and canisters. With no trail markers, even those herd paths required some skill to follow and more so in the winter. Now those peaks have maintained but unmarked trails.

The ADK mud is in a class by itself. Black, sticky and when the trails are wet, horrendous in spots. Even during wet periods, the NH soil seems more 'sandy' and not the kind you'd use to paint your face with before a battle.

During the Spring and humid weather, the ADK bug season seems to last longer, and the combo of blackflies during the morning and afternoon, deer flies until dark, and then mosquitos in the evening are worse over in the ADKs. Not to say that NH's bugs are mild but having experienced them both, a humid, damp ADK Summer is like Nicaragua at times.

Many of the trailheads are remote. Loooong drive to the Sewards trailhead. Getting to the Upper Works is a journey in itself and there is a real sense of wilderness on the Tahawus Rd. Access at the Garden is not hard, but the parking is limited and fills up early on busy weekends. Ditto the ADK Loj.

Parts of the ADK High Peaks allows dogs only on a leash. Sometimes ignored.
No open fires in many areas unless in leanto firepit or approved area.
Bear canisters are really necessary in many popular High Peaks areas. The bears are big, educated, plentiful and know how to attack the food rope to get the hang bag. And are bold in some cases about coming into site after site. A recent development is that some ADK bears have learned how to open a certain brand of bear canister, a real problem that the rangers are studying. The manufacturer has offered refunds in cases. In some areas of the High Peaks it is a formal regulation to have food in a bear canister.

You may not hike in large groups in areas of the High Peaks and this is enforced. Snowshoes are required in the HPs on trails when there is a certain amount of snow on the trails and people get fined for violations.

Backcountry skiiers have been cutting bandit ski trails to slides for decades. While it is illegal, it appears to be ignored by authorities though I suspect the skiiers could be identified if an effort was made.
And unfortunately, there is more illegal view cutting every year.
Just some stuff off the top.

I feel like Charlie Brown, comparing clouds with Linus.

I was just going to mention the longer approach hikes.

I guess I could also say that there are more roads through and between the mountains in New Hampshire, and more places to find motels and restaurants and the like.

You can probably afford to sleep later in New Hampshire, too. No 5 a.m. alarms to hit the trailhead by seven, unless you want to.

The Adirondacks also have a certain je ne sais quoi.

They’re where I caught the peakbagging bug, and I finished the ADK 46 before I finished the White Mountain 48, despite living in eastern Massachusetts.

Last edited:
A few more thoughts to add....

I feel the Daks are much more rugged mountains -- the trails in the Whites are nicely graded -- the Daks (and the Catskills for that matter) tend to take you right up ledges and cliff faces instead of around them. (which I like :) )

The herdpaths in the Daks make for a great wilderness feel. :)

In general, to me, the Daks feel more "wild", views are not obstructed by roads/ski areas (in general). The Daks are more compact -- the Whites are more spread out.

Maybe its because I'm a native NYer, I feel at home and very connected to the Daks and Cats...I haven't developed that sense about the Whites yet.

I'll second blacklab020 on culture.

Oh, and you can do alot more mileage/peaks without car spots!

Just a few thoughts....:)

Last edited:
Trails in the Adirondacks are more rugged. They were laid out by sadomasochists and tend to follow the fall line, looking to cross every ledge and loose rock possible. There's a lot more mud - black, deep, boot-sucking mud. God, I love the Adirondacks!:D
You also don't find extended stretches above treeline. Makes you savor the views when you get them. There are lots of peaks where you can see for miles and not see any signs of human habitation.

As mentioned already by some posters the Daks trails are more rugged; but IMO that is a matter of perspective. The extensive above treeline exposure that the Whites have that the Daks don't adds a level of ruggedness and commitment not found in the latter.

I'll add another chorus that peaks in the Daks are more difficult than in the Whites. This is even more true in winter - the Daks get more snow, and since there are fewer hikers it means you'll be breaking trail more often and for longer periods than in the Whites. In the Whites once a trail is broken out it usually stays that way for a week or two, but in the Daks that time is much shorter.

The Daks have lots more rules/requirements than the Whites as well - lots of paperwork. Permits, logs to sign in/sign out, etc.

The Daks have more free parking spots.. The catskills tops them both though.. it's all free.

Jay

About culture: Its not bad. Its different. Those are one word summaries; because I get a different feeling from the Daks than the whites.

You have to experience it for yourself...

The daks is a large region, containing lakes and many towns. The whites is a region too, but its narrower and stretched out with towns on the north and south of the mountains... The lay of the land affects alot of things. Now if you are just referring to the high peaks, than this question/answer is different.

Last edited:
I'll add another chorus that peaks in the Daks are more difficult than in the Whites. This is even more true in winter - the Daks get more snow, and since there are fewer hikers it means you'll be breaking trail more often and for longer periods than in the Whites. In the Whites once a trail is broken out it usually stays that way for a week or two, but in the Daks that time is much shorter.

The Daks have lots more rules/requirements than the Whites as well - lots of paperwork. Permits, logs to sign in/sign out, etc.
The thought of spending several hours above tree line is at once very exciting and very terrifying! :eek:

I've done all the W46, it certainly was tough. Having done 0 Winter Whites, I guess I should just wait and see! :D

As for rules and regs, there are no permits to hike, and signing the logs is optional. They are used for usage stats, and they use them when someone is reported lost. They get an idea of where you may be, and they contact the other people in the log to see if they saw you as well.

As for paperwork to join the 46ers, don't we already write trip reports anyway! :D

The Daks have more free parking spots.. The catskills tops them both though.. it's all free.
You have to pay to park at the lot where the Devil's Path crosses Rt. 214. But only certain months. You have to pay to park in North Lake State Park, but that can be easily avoided depending on what your goal is.