The Horn, Bulge?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave p.

Reaction score
I would like to do the Horn and the Bulge this weekend. I prefer to go in Unknown Pond Trail off Mill Brook Rd. in Stark. Does anyone have directions to this road and would it be open?

The directions are in the WMG, but if you do a search on this site I think it was mentioned in one of the trip reports. It's fairly easy to find IIRC.

All roads will be open until at least mid-Nov, unless there is a major snowstorm (such as if the Sox with the Series and hell freezes over :p ) before then.

-dave-

I hiked this trail on Aug. 7. Once you get on Rt. 110, Mill Brook Rd. is easy to find, as Dave said. If you're going through Berlin, that's the only place I had any problem. I got lost both coming and going. That may just be me, however; my wife says that I have the world's worst sense of direction. :rolleyes:

The Horn is a beautiful location.

Steve

I was also there on August 7th.

I went up 93 to exit 35, then followed 3 to 110. It's pretty easy, there aren't many roads up there. You do have to pay attention on 110 though. The sign for Mill Brook Road isn't very big.

The day I was there the gate was open, but I was too chicken, and parked right before it. Several others parked at the trailhead. It only adds about 3/4 of a mile each way if the gate is closed or you're too chicken, like me.

SP1936. No it is not you. In 1994, I was going north on NH 16 and missed the turn on to NH 110 to the left. When I went to do that same drive for Cabot in 2002, I specifically knew what to look for my left turn and as soon as I made the turn there was a reassuring NH 110 West sign. But for ten years and counting, there is no NH 110 to the left sign in Berlin, so if you go right past it, it is no fault of your own! You just have to be a local to know what your doing.

Easy to find

Did the Bulge, the Horn and Cabot on Unknown Pond Trail Saturday. We left from my friends house in Tamworth, up 16 thru Berlin. There is a sign for 110 west in Berlin, but it's hard to find. Mill Brook Rd. was easy to find off 110. The WMG was easy to follow and distances were perfect. Great view from the Horn.

I posted a trip report on this route. A simple search for Cabot and my username should bring it up. It's a very easy drive to just go up 93 to 3 to 110. Note that you will be on Rte 3 for a long time. Just keep going; it does take forever, and drive slow when you pass through town. The turn to 110 is shortly past a gas station/convenience store on the right. Once on 110, finding Mill Brook Road is easy. The gate is supposed to be open all the time now (according to MtnMagic), so just head on up to the trailhead. It's on the left just before a bridge, and you can park up beyond a short way after the bridge.

Just to clarify there are two gates on Mill Brook Road. The gate .8 mile from the trailhead just before the bridge remains open. The one at the beginning of the trail remains locked during the winter or if it rains for 5 solid days. This summer the parking areas on both side of the road past the bridge were cleared of brush and widened. Be careful not to park too far off the road and sink/get stuck in the mud.

The York Pond Road is open all year, being plowed in the snow. That gate is now locked at 4:30 once again. You must go to the Fish Hatchery and tell them to leave it open for you or it's going to be a long night. Bunnell Notch trail has been relocated, widened and now rocks. Enjoy the Kilkenny!