the moose who came to dinner (includes inline image)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waumbek said:
And speaking of cats, bobcats are apparently moving into the 'burbs. Bobcats are normally extremely secretive and nocturnal, but females may be feeding their kittens now, hence bolder and diurnal.

Well, well, well. This particular kitty was photographed less than a mile from our house. Looks like it won't be long 'fore Waumbek loses his semi-exclusive claim on Lynx rufus. And this might be why the dogs have been worked up recently in a new way.

We had a coyote in the yard behind us here in Somerville, MA.

Not quite the menagerie some of you get, but I was pretty excited.

Waumbek said:
OK, guys, I'm raising the bar here on who's got the wildest backyard in terms of mammals (we can do birds later): when is the last time you have seen moose (with triplets)
No triplets, but we have had both a young bull and an older cow (not at the same time) in the backyard.

All the time!

bears (with twin cubs),
Ya got me there, no bear yet.

ermine and stot,
Yup, but only once

Not clearly, but through the trees during winter time as he ran down the snowmobile trail that runs the powerline (more our "side" yard than back yard)

Ugh, don't get me going on coyote. Oh how many nights sleep interrupted by yodle dogs howling out back :rolleyes:

fisher, marten, variegated hares,
Well, that is a trio of "you got me there"

squirrels, chipmunks and the burrowing ones,
Well, these are really gimmes.....who DOESN'T have them!? :D

AND bobcats?
Seen? No. But i have identified the tracks of one in the snow near the snowmobile trail that, once again, runs along our "side" yard.

I have not seen a wolf or catamount yet but it's just a matter of time, I know, until I can check them off on my life list. More lists.

Ummm...yeah, I see a wolf or Couger......I am pooing my pants!!!!!! :eek:

Brian

bikehikeskifish said:
My favorite though is the whip-poor-will that has come back every year for the whole 9 years we've been here. It / they should be making an appearance shortly.

Sure enough, right on cue, the whip-poor-will is singing away out the family room window as I sit here... 10th year in a row. I wonder if it is the same one(s)? I've only managed to spot him/her/them twice, with the flashlight reflecting in their eyes. I've not spent that long looking because the bugs are bad...

Tim