Thoughs between Garmin GPS units

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personal anecdote: I just got back from a 10-day vacation; on the first day my Lowrance's LCD screen cracked, and in a panic (how the hell am I going to mark where I find plants?!?!?!?!) I borrowed an old eTrex Vista from a friend & ordered a Garmin 76csx based on friends' recommendations, which I received last Tuesday.

The 76csx is far better than any of the other GPS receivers I've used. It acquires lock much more quickly than the older eTrex & my Lowrance, to the point where I can keep mine off most of the time & just turn it on when I need to use it. Even if I keep it on, the battery life seems very good.

darren said:
One thing about 60/76 comparisons. I have been reading reviews and one negative on the 76 is that the buttons are above the screen and you have to reach over the screen (blocking your view) to hit the buttons. Not quite user friendly.
I actually came to the opposite conclusion after using it. It's very ergonomic; if you are holding the 76 in the palm of your hand, it's easy and natural to press buttons with your thumb w/o blocking the screen.

This is an excellent thread. As a longtime eTrex Vista user (excellent unit), I'm very interested in the essential differences between the 60CSx and the Vista HCx. Thanks for everyone's contributions.

Vista Cx

iM MORE THAN HAPPY WITH MY VISTA FOR ALL USES.. CAR,HIKING,HUNTING,ETC...NOW THE NEW ONES ARE EVEN BETTER RECEPTION..SMALL LIGHT, PORTABLE..WHO CAN WORRY ABOUT 25HOURS OR 30 HRS OF BATTERY LIFE...NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE...GARMIN IS VERY USER FRIENDLY TOO..

DougPaul said:
I'd get the eTrex Vista HCx rather than the Cx. The high sensitivity GPS chipset can make a big difference under trees etc.

Doug
My hunch is the Cx is still being sold because there's a stock of them as the prices between the two are comparable.

I spent a long time examining the differences between the 60CSx and the 76CSx.
To my way of thinking the 70 is a better unit if you're going to do a lot of paddling as it floats.
IMO the 60 is a better hiker's unit as its physically smaller. I have 3 friends who each have the 76. Both like it. But when I see theirs next to mine in the woods, it looks awkwardly larger than the 60 CSx. And my preference is how the buttons operate on the 60. This is one of those things about how you pronounce tomato.

Whichever, the chipset in both the 60CSx and 76CSx is amazing. I use mine extensively and I'll be generous in saying that MAYBE I've lost signal once in almost 2 years of every weekend useage. Under canopy, under wet and snowy canopy, in steep passages between cliffs, and areas with large trees and blowdown blocking signal.
The 60CSx is so good that I've sometimes thought about picking up a 2nd one as a 'just in case' backup if something should happen to the first. Its that good.

Alan: How are the buttons different in the 60___ and the 76___? It's hard to see in the photos on garmin and they don't really describe the functionality...

for curiosity, I checked Garmin's compare feature, seems the 60 and the 76 are the exact price but the 76 is .2ozs heavier, slightly larger in overall size, .1" wide in display, and accepts a bigger SD card...

FWIW: An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

So, even though you can float your Garmin, I wouldn't leave it in drink for too long... When kayaking, I usually use the lanyard to lash my old Exex to the deck line and then put it under some decking where I can see it.

Jay

Jay H said:
Alan: How are the buttons different in the 60___ and the 76___? It's hard to see in the photos on garmin and they don't really describe the functionality...
The antennas and internal electronics appear to be identical in the CSx versions of both, the only difference appears to be the case. The two different button arrangements are an endless source of discussion on sci.geo.satellite-nav. People can operate either one perfectly well with one hand. The 76 package may sit on a table a bit better, the 60 package is a bit smaller and fits in a pocket a bit better. In the end, there are satisfied users of both and it is simply a matter of preference.

for curiosity, I checked Garmin's compare feature, seems the 60 and the 76 are the exact price but the 76 is .2ozs heavier, slightly larger in overall size, .1" wide in display, and accepts a bigger SD card...
The displays are identical (that is a misprint) and they accept the same SD cards (2GB maximum). They also run the same software.

So, even though you can float your Garmin, I wouldn't leave it in drink for too long... When kayaking, I usually use the lanyard to lash my old Exex to the deck line and then put it under some decking where I can see it.
The 76 package with alkaline batteries floats, the 60 does not. However, the 60 is reported to float with lithium batteries or a neopreme case. I don't know what happens if you put NiMH batteries (heavier) in the 76. If you are in turbulent water, you may have difficulty recovering either one.

Salt water also likes to eat electrical contacts--be sure you wash the GPS off with fresh water as soon as possible after using it on salt or brackish water. And check the battery compartment to make sure there is no salt water inside.

Doug

Last edited:
They are both excellent GPSrs. I see a lot more (multiples) 60's in the hands of hikers than 76's. The 60 also fits more compactly on any kind of harness or pouch as its smaller.
But if I did a lot of paddling, I'd think about the 76. Real time mapping is a lot of fun and either can hold the electrical equivalent of 2,000+ full USGS quads. I have all of the NY and New England topos loaded, plus the moutainous areas of the entire eastern seaboard and many of the national parks and mountains of the West and Southwest. This on a 512k memory card. Just ordered a larger card to upload the maps not on the card now.

Either Garmin's firmware or software has a ceiling of some 2,200 topo maps as a limit. There is speculation that with a small change, Garmin could allow you to load a greater hunk of the US topos.

Peakbagr said:
This on a 512k memory card. Just ordered a larger card to upload the maps not on the card now.
Get a standard speed SanDisk microSD card (2GB max has been shown to work). The GPS can destroy a high speed card.

Either Garmin's firmware or software has a ceiling of some 2,200 topo maps as a limit. There is speculation that with a small change, Garmin could allow you to load a greater hunk of the US topos.
It is a GPS software limitation--Garmin raised the limit to 2025 a while ago. I have seen no speculation that Garmin will raise it again.

I have road and topo maps for everything east of Chicago loaded in my GPS. Uses about 1.3GB and close to 2025 map segments.

Doug

Peakbagr said:
"I have seen no speculation that Garmin will raise it again."

From 3 different Garmin reps.
OK.
If such an update comes, it will be in the form of an update for the GPS software. Historically, Garmin has not issued (or has issued very few) updates of its older products, so if they do issue one it may only cover the newer or current units. (It would only be useful on the units which take an external datacard anyhow, most of which are fairly recent.)

I have seen speculation that Garmin will issue updates which will allow the use of larger than 2GB datacards. (A quick check shows 4GB microSD to be available.) It might make sense to bundle both updates together.

Doug

Last edited:
I lost the Sat signal for the first time on my 60GSx last weekend. Of course I was in the concrete tunnel under RT16 at the Glen xSki trails. I heard a beep from the unit and wondered what it was. You really can't go wrong with the 60GSx for hiking. I never lost the signal once hiking all NH48 last year.