Thoughts on a (largely) snowless winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
By Mike Dickerman, today's Littleton NH Courier. (Me, I'm making lemonade--getting all those outdoor winter chroes done that I didn't get around to earlier and enjoying walking on the deserted skimobile trails now. Tomorrow's snow should start to change the picture here.)

"Lack of snow putting a damper on winter sports activity
By Mike Dickerman
One quick glance out my living room window reveals to me and the rest of the world what everyone living here in the White Mountains assuredly knows already. The start of the winter outdoor sports season has been anything but spectacular.
With more rain, sleet and freezing rain falling of late than snow from the heavens above, it’s been difficult, if not impossible to get excited about the season. Though I know significant amounts of snow have fallen in the mountains and higher terrain of the area, I also know the snow cover is thinner than it should be this time of year. With no new snow to speak of in the last couple of weeks–only freezing rain and several days of above freezing temperatures–I have to believe that most hiking trails worthy of a winter climb are, by now, either woefully thin with snow cover or so hard-packed and ice-laden that a walk on them will be more troublesome than pleasurable.
To me, winter hiking is all about slapping on the snowshoes and trekking slowly, methodically up a mountain path barely discernible owing to the six or eight inches of new snow that have fallen overnight. It’s about ambling one slow step at a time through a foot of new fallen powder, or lazily tromping through a high elevation forest of evergreens completely coated in a thick layers of snow and rime ice.
The start of this winter reminds me of the winter of 1988-89, when I was hot to trot on climbing the White Mountain 4000-Footers in winter and cared not a hoot whether there was snow or not on the trails. Two hikes in particular still stand out in my mind from that relatively snowless winter. One was a traverse of the Carter Range by way of the Nineteen-Mile Brook, Carter Dome, Carter-Moriah, and Imp Trails. For the first couple of miles on this hike, it wasn’t snow we were walking on, but an eight-inch thick river of ice that had formed along the trail following a warmer-than-usual late January thaw. Without the aid of in-step crampons, we never would have made it even a half mile up the trail due to the extremely slippery and dangerous conditions along Nineteen-Mile Brook. It wasn’t until we reached the junction of the Carter-Moriah Trail at Zeta Pass that conditions were even close to pleasant. And that’s only because the trail over South and Middle Carter had yet to be broken out.
The other memorable trek of that winter season was one that Steve Smith and I had taken up to Mount Adams and Madison in the Northern Presidentials. Due to the lack of snow we had barebooted our way up the Valley Way Trail, but just before we reached Madison Spring Hut in the col between the two peaks, the trail suddenly turned into one large riverbed of solid ice. It required all our wherewithal (not to mention crampons) to make this last tenth-of-a-mile walk to the hut as the ice had to have been close to three feet thick. Somewhere in my archives I have a photograph of a trail sign along this stretch of the trail. I kid you not when I say the ice covered the signpost right up to the base of the signboard itself.
For every snowsports lover’s sake, let’s hope Mother Nature gets all this freezing rain and what not out of her system before too much more of the winter has elapsed. Seeing bare ground in my backyard on New Year’s Day just isn’t right and isn’t what White Mountain winters are all about. Give me snow–lots of snow–and everyone’s winter will be just that much brighter as we start the New Year.
Lack of snow curtailing snowmobiling, too
Besides putting a major crimp in snowshoers’ winter activities, the lack of snow has more or less sidelined snowmobile activity throughout much of the White Mountains region, including the Bretton Woods-Crawford Notch area, where an ongoing trail controversy has been making lots of headlines of late.
Shortly before Christmas, a Merrimack County Superior Court judge ruled against the Appalachian Mountain Club, which was seeking to stop the state of New Hampshire from opening up a new snowmobile route within just a few hundred feet of AMC’s new Highland Center at Crawford Notch. Under Judge Edward Fitzgerald’s ruling, the N.H. Trails Bureau will be allowed to open up a new trail along a 4.2-mile stretch of the former Maine Central Railroad grade between Fabyan’s Station (Bretton Woods) and the top of Crawford Notch. From the railroad grade, snowmobilers will then be allowed to cross Route 302 near the Gateway to the Notch and proceed a short distance west alongside the highway to the Mount Clinton Road. This road will serve as a connecting route with the Jefferson Notch Road and the Cog Railway Base Road.
As I recounted in this space last month, the state says it needs to open up the new route because a recently constructed snowmobile trail running along the Base Road from Fabyan’s to Jefferson Notch Road is not expected to be able to handle the huge amount of snowmobile traffic that typically uses the Base Road in winter. Up until this year the road itself served as the snowmobile trail, but because the Cog Railway is now running weekend ski trains on Mount Washington, the road is being kept open to motor vehicle traffic on a year-round basis.
In making his ruling, Judge Fitzgerald did put some restrictions on snowmobilers. They will only be allowed to use the railroad grade during daylight hours, with use restricted from a half after sunset to a half hour before sunrise.
In light of the current snow situation, of course, there’s been little in the way of added controversy of late. At present there’s not enough snow for the snowmobiles, so it’s been impossible for anyone to say that allowing the sleds on the railroad grade is having an impact–positive or adverse–or AMC’s Highland Center operation. Stay tuned, however. This story hasn’t gone away just yet."

Thanks for the article.

Hopefully today's storm hovers and dumps. One thing I've noticed about this winter is the "more-common-than-usual" temperature swings. The weather patterns seem to be like waves rolling through... low temps for 2-4 days then unseasonably warm temps for 2-4 days.

This scenario is prohibitive in getting winter really under way because the warm weather resets any ground cover that the cold weather storms had brought. Am I crazy for preferring a frigid January like last year? I haven't been snowboarding yet this year and it's driving me nuts!

Panama Jack said:
Rainy & in the 50's, thaw-freeze-repeat.

I know it's a week off, but the Weather Channel is predicting 53 and raining in Lincoln, NH next Thursday, and 61 here in Leominster :eek:

Definitly going to make the Gathering and entirely different affair.....

It's all good!!! There is always something fun to do out there in the forest, no matter what the conditions. Whatever nature throws us, I like it. I'm looking forward to some nice off-trailing, maybe track some animals in this fresh snow.

nice article

I got a couple of snowshoe hikes in so far and read of some shoeing along the ridge to Garfield...but it sure is slim pickings this year.
Last year I had good luck up around Mt Waumbek and Cabot.
This is the year of crampons so far.
Did Chocorua the other day the hard pack and ice made for some fast easy hiking so that was ok.
Any snow in Vermont? New York?
(talked with friends up in the Gaspe Que none to happy there with rain also.)

Other than that.... in a way it seems appro that the HC has snowmobile worries.
Sking the Cog seems like the lamest idea in ages.
Mt Washington Hotel, Bretton Woods and the Cog are all owned by the same people...They sure do have a lot of clout...I expect they will keep expanding much like the AMC so it's a bit of head butting between the big money up there, so it seems.

How about

ice climbing ? Is is a mountain sport, right ? There is more to winter than hiking and snowmobiling ! The season is good so far, esp. in Smugglers Notch and at lake Willoughby. The black Dike has been climbed continuously since early november. Crawford Notch has suffered most from the thaws but there are still many options there.

forestnome said:
There is always something fun to do out there in the forest, no matter what the conditions. Whatever nature throws us, I like it. I'm looking forward to some nice off-trailing, maybe track some animals in this fresh snow.

That's a great attitude to have Forestnome. I just came back from my first snowshoe. My housemate and I just went out for an hour or so on the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail, which goes right by our place here in New Paltz. Beautiful night to be out. We're supposed to get some more snow/ice/rain/whatever late tonight and tomorrow. I'm going to just try to enjoy the winter, whatever happens.

Matt

Things have a way of evening out around here. It is only January 8. There have been several winters will negligible snow through January and then we get a series of Noreasters in Fenruary & March (even April). This doies not do the ski area much good but we will get our snow, if not this year then next. Last year was the opposite, a ton of snow in December and then zilch the rest of the winter. But yes I am really sick of 35 degrees and raining.

SherpaKroto said:
I will not be a happy camper if we get rain next weekend!!! I can live without snow, but rain for a winter Gathering and I'll never be able to show my face around here again :eek:
We can rent a snowmaker from Loon or Bretton Woods if you want snow for next weekend. We'll actually have enough people that an armed robbery wouldn't be out of the question either. We're here for you, SherpaK. I don't think the rain will be an issue if we're plopping down 6 inches of snow an hour.
-Wu

Last edited:
Snow

today (saturday) i sit here working at my computer watching the most beautiful huge snowflakes coming down and wishing i could just walk outside and be in keene near a trailhead. but hey, there's always tomorrow - so it better not go up to 40 or rain....

Sleet, snow, rain both freezing and regular today, but there was enough snow in the hills that I braved the roads (although at one alarming point I was moving sideways, at right angles to the traffic). Did a trailed hike up Mt. Tremper, a good climb of 2000 feet or so. It was a blast! Out again tomorrow, I hope, for a bushwhack. I haven't got to x-c ski this winter yet, though.

Ted.

Snow in Vermont

Went 'shoe camping near Manchester Center, Vt from Jan 7-9. We got about 3-4" of snow on Sat to give us a total of 6-8".

It was enjoyable and we had a good trip but it wasn't like a trip in 2003 near Stratton Mt when the AT blazes were below my knee.