Three Weeks on the Kilkenney Ridge Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
North, Middle and South Weeks from the Berlin Fish Hatchery, 12 miles, 3800', 6:30, and NEHH #86-87. 13-Nov-2011.

I can confirm that the Berlin hatchery does, in fact, lock the gate at night. It was locked at 7:20 when I pulled in. I woke up a bit early and so I headed north a bit early, just in case. I was prepared to wait 40 minutes, but my arrival got the resident dog's attention and a few minutes after it started barking, the guys came out and unlocked the gate for me. Driving down the dirt road, I spooked two does, the second two of the day (the first two crossed 93 in my headlights around exit 18.) When I got to the parking lot, there were a bunch of cars that had spent the night, including some people we all know here that were at Unknown Pond. There was a light frost on the cars, and on the ground and leaves, with a very slight trace of snow. The staff told me there was an inch or two up higher.

IMG_8722.JPG
IMG_8723.JPG

View of Terrace Mountain, and 1000s of brookies, Pleasant stretch of York Pond Trail

I paused at the start to check out Terrace, and to peek into the concrete raceway. It was still pretty dark, but the light tips of the pectoral fins and the lighter spots on darker bodies gave away the 1000s of 4-6" brook trout that were contained there. At the clearing where the Bunnell Notch Trail turns right, I am pretty sure I saw a lynx go running off into the woods. Too big to be a bobcat, and I didn't really see a tail, but I also didn't see a face. The size and coloring suggest lynx, and in the vicinity there were some large cat tracks in the faint traces of snow. When I got to the first brook crossing, the boards over the top of the old dam were missing, so I had to find a place to cross (not too difficult) up stream. Until the York Pond Trail begins climbing away from the streams, it was muddy, with that lovely 'breakable crust'. Above the wet areas, it follows some old logging roads through open woods, like the right photo above.

IMG_8738.JPG
IMG_8740.JPG

Spruce Grouse, North Weeks

I must have spooked a dozen grouse on this day. Every time I did, they spooked me back, with their I-want-to-be-a-helicopter impression. I did encounter one spruce grouse that was perfectly content to pose for me. The Kilkenney Ridge Trail, above York Pond Trail, was completely different then the usual dirt, rock, hard-pack trails further south. It was much more like an improved, blazed, herd path. Very soft under foot, and therefore easy to make progress without a lot of noise. In part because of this, and because I was (apparently) the only person up there, I encountered many other critters besides the grouse, including a fox, a hare and three moose. None of them hung around for a photo op, unfortunately.

After zig-zagging all over the mountain, the trail eventually tops out on North Weeks. There is currently nothing to indicate that you have reached the top, although there is a bracket in the biggest tree along the trail on which the sign apparently once hung. I ate a sandwich, took a photo, and continued on to Middle Weeks.

IMG_8739.JPG
IMG_8742.JPG

Middle Weeks, Open woods view of The Horn

Middle Weeks is even less remarkable than North (or South) without any evidence there ever was a sign. If I ever do the NHHH, then I've already got this one marked off. I only slowed down, but didn't stop, on my way to South Weeks. Right before the top, the Kilkenney Ridge trail turns left, and a spur trail continues for maybe 30-50' to fairly obvious summit, and again, the bracket on the tree.

I turned around and followed my tracks out. The sun had done some melting work and some areas were now completely devoid of snow. It was on the re-climb of North Weeks that I turned a corner and stumbled upon three moose - two young bulls and a third whose head I didn't quite see. They leaped nimbly up the hill and disappeared in near silence in a matter of seconds. Forest Gnome, I am not ;)

I paused at the junction with York Pond Trail and gave the idea of visiting Terrace a few minutes thought. It would make me late for dinner which might make it harder to get out next time, so I skipped it. I think Terrace, Cabot, The Bulge, The Horn and Unknown Pond will make a really nice loop some day.

A few more photos here

That does it for VT and NH. All 13 remaining peaks are in Maine (Elephant, the Six Pack and Baxter.)

Enjoy,
Tim

Horn->Bulge->Cabot-> Terrace is an awesome loop - the mileage may appear daunting to some but most of the hike is a pleasant walk. I suggest doing the loop in the direction I suggest, because IMHO, having done it several times in both directions, the climb of Terrace from the York Pond Trail is tedious, and I think more pleasant as a descent as it passes through open birch glades.

Congrats on experiencing some new to you Mountains as well as seeing so much wildlife!

There used to be a NE 100 cannister on North Weeks. I expect I was one of the last to sign it as it was removed after we blazed the Kilkenny ridge trail. I cant remember if there was one on the other summits.

There is a supposed to be a large accumulation or RR artifacts (50 year old junk) somewhere off the York Pond Trail.

A general comment is the run throuhg the birch glades is nice coming off of South Terrace, but its very difficult to follow in the snow as the blazes were on the birches and the trail bed is hard to follow with snow on it.

There used to be a NE 100 cannister on North Weeks. I expect I was one of the last to sign it as it was removed after we blazed the Kilkenny ridge trail. I cant remember if there was one on the other summits.

There is a supposed to be a large accumulation or RR artifacts (50 year old junk) somewhere off the York Pond Trail.

A general comment is the run throuhg the birch glades is nice coming off of South Terrace, but its very difficult to follow in the snow as the blazes were on the birches and the trail bed is hard to follow with snow on it.

That's true -- but if you shoot for the col you are on the right track!
The Weeks/Terrace are wicked fun to explore in winter, especially if you are seeking solitude!

last tuesday the gate was not locked there was a pin holding it closed but no lock. we opened it and then closed it behind us that was at about the same time you went by there. Awesome report Tim, I cant wait to get back to this area.

Hey Tim! Great report. I am cannot wait to do this hike! Thanks for the commentary and photos!!!!
Karen Maineri

The Kilkenney Ridge Trail, above York Pond Trail, was completely different then the usual dirt, rock, hard-pack trails further south. It was much more like an improved, blazed, herd path. Very soft under foot . . .
That is a very fitting description!

Another of your nicely done reports, Tim!

We did the Weeks ridge last September and there were no signs. We also ran into a moose in there so they must have a nice spot up there. We are stuck on 95/100 of the NEHH. We also need 5 in Maine. We were unable to do Boundary Peak from Canada so we scraped the rest of our trip. We can't get up there till next September. Are you going up there soon?

I don't have any specific plans for the final 13. My general plans are to do the 7 outside BSP over a 4-5 day weekend in 2012 (I have my passport ready for Boundary), and then the following year, the same arrangement for BSP, except I hope that my wife & kids are ready, willing and able to join me.

Tim

Tim, awesome! No pics of lynx tracks?! I wonder if his presence is connected to the hatchery, hunting either the trout or those who do. I once worked at a trout hatchery in R.I., and there were plenty of critters attracted to the facility. Each day, we let any dead fish float down the stream.

No, I didn't get any pictures of the tracks. The snow was all melted on the return trip so I couldn't find any then.

I wondered what they do to protect the fish. The raceway by the Bunnell/York Pond trail (first picture above) has a 10' high fence and the top has wires crossing (parallel) every 18", presumably to keep out fishing birds (saw a heron last time I was up there), but certainly any determined cat could easily get in.

Also, there is a tiered set of raceways a bit before the o-fish-al trail head (Unknown Pond), maybe 10-12 of them, and they are completely wide open. The fish all come boiling up to see you when you get close. Even without stealth, claws, or a honed instinct, I'm pretty sure I could have grabbed some fish with my bare hands.

Tim