Timber Rattlesnakes in Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rattlesnake Rattle

Just how distinct is the pre-launch warning rattle?

While in TX, a hiker down there told me that even the 1st time you hear it, "you know" that it's a clear and present danger.

But in Art Bernstein's book Weird Hikes, he describes hearing an out-of-the ordinary sound, apparently not threatening enough to get out of Dodge, then being bit.

Which of the 2 is closer to the truth?

lx93 said:
Just how distinct is the pre-launch warning rattle?
It probably varies. Maybe there are times when there is no rattle if the snake feels the threat is too close and there isn't time for a warning. The first time I heard one was at a reptile show and I was AMAZED at just how loud it was. It was just like a human had grabbed a handful of plastic baby rattles and shook them as hard and fast as he could. I really wasn't expecting it to be like that.

I watched a milk snake do its best to look like a rattler by shaking its tail but it made more of a whirring sound since it lacked the dry rattle. It certainly had my neighbors fooled.

Neat picture, Kevin!

Thanks, George. I'd estimate that guy had about a 3" diameter. I also think you're advice is accurate, based upon what I've read/been told. Usually a snake will give a warning, but ... not always. As a vet put it - for a snake to strike in defense of itself can be catastrophic for the snake, as the purpose of the venom is to gather food.

Also - a snake does not always release venom when it strikes. You should always assume that it has though, and seek medical care, as the snake's fangs have lots of noxious bacteria.

Some of the folks I hike with here in California's Eastern Sierra have a saying regarding snakes - "The first hiker wakes him up, the second hiker p....es him off, and the third hiker gets bitten".

Kevin

I have often been told of how my great grandmother almost sat on one while picking berries near Bath, Maine.
Got oodles of Diamondback rattlers down here. And... you can always find em in the berry patches waiting for little birdies. DOZENS of em in the palmetto scrub "forest" behind my neighbor's house. Interesting to watch the temp worker land clearing team in there readying a new kayak access micro-park. Don't think they knew what they were signing on for. Rattlers usually don't want anything to do w/ ya. BTW, my other neighbor killed three cotton mouth mocassins in my backyard pond last week. That's a venomous critter you don't wanna mess with! Deadly snakes just a part of everyday life down here... ;)

Kevin Rooney said:
Jim - I wonder if the rattlesnake looked at all like this one? This guy isn't a timber rattler, though. It's a western diamondback, and I took the photo April 22, 2006. Healthy looking specimen, isn't he? Needless to say, I gave him a WIDE berth.

2804857680044986489YYpBWA_ph.jpg

Looks like a scene from an old western Kevin, nice shot. We saw plenty of those when we lived in TX. I'll keep your hiker saying in mind if I ever get out that way to hike again.

funky freddy said:
I have a lot of ancestors from Maine on my mother's side of the family. I have often been told of how my great grandmother almost sat on one while picking berries near Bath, Maine.
I've seen snakes myself while picking berries up on the barrens in Maine. Berries like lots of open fields and sunshine, seems snakes do too. I've only seen the garter snakes and a blackish snake, nothing dangerous.

As mentioned, there were once a lot more rattlesnakes in northern New England but they are quite rare now. There is one known colony left in New Hampshire but the naturalists won't say where. Even in southern New England they are rare enough that a construction worker in CT who killed one was charged with a crime.

My sister was struck by a rattler in Mesa Verde a couple years ago, it was lying in a grassy part of the trail and gave no warning. Fortunately it did not penetrate her boot although the rangers were impressed with the fang marks.