time for a new sleeping bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newjeep123

Reaction score
After 12 years of great service, I'm retiring my good ol sleeping bag. I want to go with something lighter but not give up the wonderful warmth of my used to be 0 degree, 5 lb bag. For 3 season camping, it was perfect except for the poundage.
Anybody have experience with the 20 degree bags - do they really keep you warm when it gets below freezing?

baggggggggs

my experience has been that 20 degree bags don't quite go down that cold, unless you bundle up in long johns, fleece, etc. i've never tried one, but mont bell bags look really nice. dunno where to get one though.

luke

Jeep, I bought this bag on Ebay for about $90.00.

http://www.fogdog.com/sm-downright-voyager-lb-degree-down-fill-mummy--pi-235131.html

It's rated for 0 and weighs 4lbs. The down quality is low (600 I think), so it's cheap. I have been comfortable in this bag in a 4 season tent, on 2 decent pads inside a light bivvy cover at 18 degrees, but I wouldn't want to go any colder with this bag. I would add 20 degrees to the rating of any bag for a more realistic number. If you want lighter or warmer, you'll need to spend more for better quality down. I also have a Valandre Nuptse 1300 that is rated to minus 49 degrees that cost quite a bit more, but my son is the only one who has slept in that one so far. :mad:

I have a TNF Cat's Meow (+20, about 2lb 13oz) that I use for a spring and fall bag. It's actually too warm for me in the summer but, some people sleep warmer than others. I don't think I've actually used it much below 30 but I've never been cold in it.
For summer I use a Western Mountaineering Caribou. Weight wise, about half of the TNF but only rated to 35.
Just like everything, people have their favorites and when I get a new winter bag or any new bag, it'll be Western Mounaineering.

EMS sale

EMS is having a sale on some of their cold-weather bags - 30% off. I just bought one today and it is pretty nice. Seems well made and warm, but I'll let you know after I sleep in it.

I got a Polarguard Delta, 0 deg F, 4 lb, 10X18 stuffed bag for $111.

Disclaimer - I have no affiliations with the company.

Temperature Rating

There is no industry standard in the way manufacturers rate the temperatures of their bags, so it is entirely up to them. You might want to consider narrowing down your choices to a few bags, and ask about them individually. Best of luck.

I hightly recommend Western Mountaineering bags. They are not cheap, but I have had excellent experience with mine. I own a Lightweight bag, which is 20º but a narrow cut to save on weight, which is under 2 lbs. I have slept in it when the temps have been about 20º and I have been comfortable. Not warm, but comfortable and able to sleep most of the night. They also offer other bags with a lower rating.

A Little Shopping Help Also....

How appropriate a topic to pop as I'm looking for a new bag this season too... So let me ask for a few recommendations/suggestions from you all too...

My requirements/preferences:
- Down (preferred)
- Wide in the shoulders (I have broad shoulders and chest)
- Long length, I am 6'3"
- I prefer to sleep on my side
- Lightweight
- Mummy shape
- For use in the down to the 20-30 degree range
- Primary use is for backpacking here in the NE and on the AT

I have been looking at various sites, and have started to actually climb into bags at shops to decide on one, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kevin

I use a Marmot Pinnacle for three-seasons. It is rated to 15 F, but I have only used it down to the mid-20s and it kept me comfortable while wearing long underwear and a wool hat. I've also used it up to about 70 F and it wasn't too warm. It weighs about 2 1/2 lbs. and compresses to about the size of a bowling ball. When compared to a Western Mountaineering bag, the biggest difference is the hip width. I usually sleep on my side and find that a bag that's wider in the hips is warmer and more comfortable because I can turn inside the bag as opposed to turning with the bag.

Last edited:
Western Mountaineering here too. I've actually got 3 sleeping bags (+20 WM, +20 North Face down, and an REI +20 synthetic). Of all these, the WM is far and away my preferred bag. I opted for the Gore DryLoft coating, and couldn't be happier. The water repellency makes it more comfortable (in terms of worrying too much about it getting damp) and it seems like it'll last 2 or 3 times as long as the NF, which feels cheesy by comparison (very, very thin material, and the WM is still lighter AND warmer). I've taken the WM on 2 week backcountry trips....hang it over a branch in the morning, inside out, and the black interior dries it out within 30 mins or so.....slept in temps in the mid-20's, and never shivered (I'm a normal to cold sleeper, if it helps).

You end up paying a good bit more for Western Mountaineering, but I honestly feel they're well worth their premium.

I use this:

http://www.outdooroutlet.com/shopping.php?pg=product-detail&id=241

I find it to be an excellent bag, at a great price. 750 fill down is great, and the bag has a half-zip, and a footsie zip. The best thing about this bag is the width. I can fit my Marmot 15 degree sawtooth inside for winter camping, and stay warm down to at least -15.

-percious