Too cold to hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been out when the high for the day was ~-15F. Sure, I prefer 20F, but it is no biggie if you have your act together. You just have to be a bit more careful--however, with wind it can become serious.

Doug
I agree, throw in wind and it's a completely different animal... gets real real fast.
I've been in some cold temps and I think the kind of program you have planned is a big part of it. Sure there's a limit for everyone, but I think cold weather can be managed if you have a good system down. With cold is just different, you have to be very proactive about your systems and stay ahead of problems that might arise.

I like it and plus, I run hot.

First time my synthetic layers didn't stink from sweat for 2 days! it was in the -20s, -30s. My body wasn't cold, but I laxed on my hands and had frostnip on the tips of two fingers - that was a good lesson and today during -15F weather I went ice climbing and kept on top of my hands so that wouldn't happen again... and with some tweaks in the system I was fine.

And yeah, sure I'd rather have temps in the 20s, even 10s... but sometimes you just have to learn to deal with nature if you wanna get out. Even in the brutal cold you can almost always find something to do - doesn't have to be that long exposed hike, could be something shorter and more sheltered.

Last edited:
Winds under 35 and temps above -10; those are my basic limits, I guess.
Windblock fleece, goggles, balaclava, insulated boots, hand and foot warmers -- and a hot thermos of cocoa.

Gonna expand:
if hiking with Terra my dog, those limits narrow considerably. I don't feel comfortable hiking with her in windy, cold conditions. There are lots of variables, but in general I wouldn't want to do an extended hike in temps below zero; or with windchills much below zero, especially if there was no sun.

A little below zero is fine

see..any number of trip reports from last saturday:):)

but it is the wind factor and blowing snow that becomes an issue..

that being said I'll be out and about all weekend in the Waterville valley area

for the SOLO course they are offering..

A little below zero is fine

Yeah, for sure...at the trailhead..before the sun warms things up a few degrees!!!

:):p;)

Hard to put this in a standard form-- there are so many variables! Wind is prolly my biggest deterring factor.

Sorry to hear about your hand, Gig! That sucks!! I suffered a spiral fracture in my hand a bunch of years back, the most intense pain I've ever endured! Get well soon.

-20F is my limit for hiking and camping (I always try to camp!!). I was going to join a trip at the last minute today, then decided to bail. I'm not comfortable cramming my gear together at the last minute when the temps are going to be around -20F. I have a habit of forgetting little things if I don't check over my gear the few days before the hike, and at -20F, missing a trivial piece of gear can turn into a major problem...

With proper gear and planning though, hiking/camping in -20F weather is a great experience! I remember spilling water in a cabin at that temps and I could SEE ice crystals shooting through the water in lines as it instantly froze. Snow gets incredibly squeaky to walk in due to the cold. Mmmmm, fun stuff...

McRat put it best when we were deciding what to do this weekend when he said "I need to remind myself I don't NEED to be out there." (or something to that effect). We decided to just stay home. Could we take the cold temps? Sure. But honestly, like has been mentioned, motivating yourself for that is an obstical to surrmount, and it is one we caved into. I am all for testing my limits. I know I could handle these kind of temps, so not testing needed.

I am young. I have hopefully many years of climbing ahead of me. I ain't missing anything skipping one weekend......

Brian

I am planning to watch some folks skate with sticks on horizontal ice from a warm seat at the Verizon Center in Manchvegas this evening, but perhaps I will hike some steeper ice somewhere in the Whites tomorrow. :)

Last edited: