Trail Adopters Needed - Pemi District

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giff

Reaction score
I am putting out my annual appeal for trail adopters for the Pemi District. Listed below are trails that need adopting:

Needing Adopter

Trail Name Length
3 Ponds 4.6
Eastside 5.1
Guinea Pond 2.2
Lincoln Woods 3.0
Lincoln Woods Int 0.3
Livermore Rd 4.0
Mt. Kineo 3.2
Zealand 2.5
Basin Cascade 1.0
Mt. Osceola 5.7
Nancy Pond 3.0
Tripyramid 5.0

Additionally, adopters on the following trails have graciously agreed to share their trails with a co-adopter

North Twin, Smarts Brook, Drakes Brook, Tri-Town, Yellow Jacket, Mt. Carr, East Pond, Reel Brook Mt. Stinson, Sandwich Mt and Gordon Pond.

If you are interested, please contact me at [email protected]

As a relatively new Trail Adopter (going into year 4), I'll add some encouragement.

I wanted to give back to the trails in some way and talked about it for awhile before deciding it was the right time. I had no real experience, but just decided to give it a go. For those considering it, just take a shot - really, it's a good gig: work outside solo, show up whenever you want, take whatever days off you want, nobody bossing you around. Pay could be better I guess.

I'm glad I decided to do it. I went to a training to learn the basic level one maintenance with a bunch of other like-minded people. Basic (level 1) trail work is not complicated. It's hard work, but not complicated. I felt very confident after the training and was able to clear waterbars, brush, and remove or improve basic blowdowns.

The work is rewarding; it always feels good to clear a bunch of waterbars through a wet stretch on the ascent and see the trail literally drying out on the return to the trailhead. People are always appreciative and interested, and I even enjoy the "social aspect" of being in one place on the trail as everyone passes by. I really enjoy having Ammo Ravine as my adopted trail too just for the option to hike Monroe and/or Washington so close by....not that I usually have the energy for that after brushing, but sometimes, I set the tools aside and hike the rest of the day.

If anyone has any questions from an adopter's POV, I'd be happy to answer them but I know a bunch of more experienced trail maintainers on here would as well. There are a lot of adopters, experienced trail builders and maintainers, supervisors, etc. on the board. And Giff's a pretty good guy too, no matter what anyone says. ;)

I agree with Raven. I've maintained my section (Baldface Circle trail section) for 13 years now, and enjoy it a lot. Grab one of these if you aren't already, and give it a go.

I've proposed to Giff for our club to swap Smarts Brook/Drakes Brook trails for the 5.7 miles of the Mt. Osceola Trail. We are leaving Smarts Brook/Drakes Brook in great shape and it appears the Osceola's need work such as blazing, blowdowns and brushing.

Up in the North Country trail adopters are needed for the Success Trail and the Mahoosuc Trail from Carlo Col jct to Mt. Success summit....this is in the northern Mahoosuc Region...in the southern Mahoosuc region the Mahoosuc needs a lot of help from Gorham up to Austin Brook/Peabody Brook area, and the Centennial Trail also is open for help...check out the adopt a trail program on AMC's website....

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that I also love my adopted trail, and I find it more rewarding than actually just hiking it.

I cannot recommend adopting a trail enough. I think you will find it fun, rewarding, and great exercise.