Trail Work Tools

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutsosa

Reaction score
Anybody know where to get tools for trail work? I've found stuff online, but I would rather buy locally if it's possible. I live near Hanover NH, so I'm looking for something nearby, or at least within a reasonable radius.

You can get everything you need at Dan & Whits in Norwich. Axes, saws, Woodsmans Pal, loppers, machetes, weed whips, pole saws, they have everything. You need to go into the back room to find it all, but it's all there.

I use a local hardware store for some of the basic stuff (bars, mattocks, shovels, etc), otherwise you'll need to use a specialty mail-order firm like Forestry Suppliers. Also try Trail Services (run by Lester Kenway in Bangor, ME) that has pretty much everything from axes and hand saws to hoists and rock drills! Send him an email and ask for a printed catalog and price list. It's good reading.

BTW: I have no financial connection to these sources, but I've used them for many years and have been very pleased with their products and service, both for personal use, and as a source for WODC tools.

David Metsky said:
You can get everything you need at Dan & Whits in Norwich. Axes, saws, Woodsmans Pal, loppers, machetes, weed whips, pole saws, they have everything. You need to go into the back room to find it all, but it's all there.

Thanks!

They have a great beer selection too. Some good beer and a hazel hoe . . . I'll be content :)

I also second Forestry Suppliers for anything you can't get at Dan & Whit's. They sell flame throwers. :eek:

If you are in the market for a pair of loppers, then I got these at the local Lowe's hardwear store:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=77996-63731-AL3341D&lpage=none

This things are AMAZING! They cut up to 2" diameter and they are pretty light even though they are a bit big. I used these for some serious brushing on our trail which had been orphaned for at least 2 years. They cut through everything from hobble bush to 2" diameter evergreens with no problems.

Looked at Forestry SUpply for Hazel Hoes. Saw the price.....and decided it was not worth it for a dozen waterbars. Besides.....Camp Dodge is just a 5 minute ride down the road from the trailhead :D .

Brian

psmart said:
I use a local hardware store for some of the basic stuff (bars, mattocks, shovels, etc), otherwise you'll need to use a specialty mail-order firm like Forestry Suppliers. Also try Trail Services (run by Lester Kenway in Bangor, ME) that has pretty much everything from axes and hand saws to hoists and rock drills! Send him an email and ask for a printed catalog and price list. It's good reading.

To take nothing away from former AMC trail bosses Bob Proudman, Carl Demerow, and others, Lester Kenway is simply the most amazing trail builder/maintainer that I have ever encountered. Years ago he constructed aerial tramways on the Tableland to transport boulders and protect fragile alpine vegetation in rebuilding the upper Cathedral Ridge Trail on Katahdin. Fantastic alpine trail engineering, probably not seen since the CCC days of the 1930s.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Lester Kenway is simply the most amazing trail builder/maintainer that I have ever encountered. Years ago he constructed aerial tramways on the Tableland to transport boulders and protect fragile alpine vegetation in rebuilding the upper Cathedral Ridge Trail on Katahdin. Fantastic alpine trail engineering, probably not seen since the CCC days of the 1930s.

Lester got us (WODC) started with hoists and skylines nearly 15 years ago, which have helped us do more work in less time. These techniques also reduce the impact on the adjacent landscape that was caused by rolling and dragging every rock into place. And with the extra mechanical advantage, anyone with enough motivation can join a trail crew - Brute strength is no longer a primary requirement.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Checked out Dan and Whit's, but alas, no hazel hoes . . . lots of other tools though (and a good excuse to stop by the Norwich Inn for a pint of Whistling Pig . . . I highly recommend it :D ). Dan and Whit's will do special orders, so I might try that, or one of the sources mentioned in the thread.

Thanks again!

what's the difference between a hazel hoe and an adz? simply one's for wood, one's for earth?

dan and whit's does have a good beer selection, although it's absurdly expensive. ~$11 for a 6 pack is ridiculous.
stinson's in hanover and Norwich wines and spirits have both selection and good prices.

Pamola said:
what's the difference between a hazel hoe and an adz? simply one's for wood, one's for earth?

dan and whit's does have a good beer selection, although it's absurdly expensive. ~$11 for a 6 pack is ridiculous.
stinson's in hanover and Norwich wines and spirits have both selection and good prices.

Well, I'm a newbie at trail work, but yes, I always thought an adze was for woodworking. I'm often wrong (my wife will back me up on this), and I may be wrong here as well.

As for the the beer selection at Dan and Whit's, this thread isn't about where to get good beer. Their store was suggested as a place to find tools, and I mentioned that they have a good beer selection. I never said it was cheap :)