Training with barefoot running

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
Who has tried barefoot running inthe training/fitness program? There seems to be alot of attention on the topic recently.

Wu... Wu... Beuller... Beuller...

I'd start on a clean beach there near you or a yard you're familiar avec.
Not barefoot. minimalist. I've done a few runs barefoot but nothing substantial. I do road (and trail) running using a mix of Nike Free (3.0 and 5.0) as well as Vibram Five Finger KSO and Inov-8 Roclite 295 for hiking / trail running. This is in addition to a stronger workout regime including more weights and running on a daily basis. I feel like the "near barefoot" running has helped my feet, calves, posture, running style/technique etc. It seems pretty normal though considering humans evolved this way...

-Dr. WU

I did good amount of barefoot running on a treadmill this past winter. I started after a running injury (IT at the origin, hip) that I blame on my sneakers. Never brave enough to go out on the roads barefoot though. At first I got blisters on my big toes, but eventually I didn't. Sometimes I would run in socks or my old Teva fisherman sandals.

Correct me if I am wrong but barefoot running means no foot support but protection with a shoe like a vibram five fingers is still considered 'barefoot'

Dr Wu your post has the type of info I am fishing for.

I don't run cus I'm a big tub of lard and it kills my shins. I do walk stairs barefoot for an hour on weekends I don't hike. I can feel the stress in my foot bones, ankle, calfs: also some in my knees & hips. I do this to strengthen my lower body more than for the aerobic benefit.

I have to be carefull or I overdo it real easy and sometimes wear running shoes if my feet feel weak or cramped. It's made a difference on my uphill climbing. I'm not that much faster but I don't stop as much and my feet don't get beat up as bad from a day of hiking.

I also am barefoot when I lift weights, do barefoot calf rises and walk around bare foot a lot, home and at work.

I've had to go slow building this up (still have a long way to go) and I think most should be very slow with this. If you hurt your feet your pretty much done for and that is depressing if you can't exercise.

bee.gif
CAREFULL!:D

My Great Uncle ran for years barefoot, If you google Dr. Charles Robbins, you should find some info, here is a link from Runners World after he died at age 85 & ran up until the last few years.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-292--10291-0,00.html

Some info found on Amby Burfoot's blog also. His daughter, my 2nd cousin, still does it. We did run the barefoot tribute & actually it felt pretty good, that Thanksgiving was a cool wet 40 or so morning.

one year it was so cold, he did wear socks, yes, just socks.

Run barefoot only on the beach, very infrequently. Only other place I'd consider it would be a golf course. Might be a different story if I'd walked barefoot all my life, but my Western tootsies are rather wimpy so protection is necessary. Anyway, even the Tarahumara wear rope-and-tire sandals.

those were the days....my friend!

as a kid I went barefoot from the day school got out to the day it went back in session - lots of running and my feet were tough as nails (my mother would make us soak in gasoline to get the tar off for sunday shoes...) we would joke about walking over coals -- but I'd wait until they weren't smoldering! lol :D

but that was then and this is now - I wear Montrail Vitesse w/ orthodics and still run lots - just not barefoot. My arches are too high and arthritis has seized up at least one joint..........:cool:

Run barefoot only on the beach, very infrequently. Only other place I'd consider it would be a golf course. Might be a different story if I'd walked barefoot all my life, but my Western tootsies are rather wimpy so protection is necessary. Anyway, even the Tarahumara wear rope-and-tire sandals.

As a teen we used to play golf barefoot, once we got away from the clubhouse. Loved playing barefoot but I don't think I'd run on them though, too much beer drinking on the course to think there is no broken glass. As a kid, I once stepped on glass, I'd much rather break my nose again. (I'm no John McClain:D)

Ihave gone in Vibram Five Fingers a handfull of times. I took it slow and ran one mile or so. I had heard that people who start will notice weakness in the calf, which is the case for me. I don't have any knee or ankle tendon/ligamaent pain. I just feel like I over exerted muscle and feel sore the day after. While running everythign feels great. Of course my form has changed but everything fell into place with little to no effort.

Bare foot training is no different than doing strength work for your grip or wrists but we don't wear heavy gloves all the time to protect our hands.

After spending most of our lives in shoes going bare can be quite a shock if you do too much too soon. It will be easied for a trim well trained person than a heaver out of shape person.

You do sit ups and push ups? Then do a little bare foot exercising.

I'm waiting for the cost of five fingers to come down as they become popular. At the very least they would make great post hike foot wear and make it easier to walk around the yard.

I wanna try 'em!!
Me too! I've long thought the idea of having croc type bottoms (interior) to a trail runner would be awesome. They seem to have covered a lot of ideas with them, like wider with height is key. The one, possible, bad thing about them I could see is the durability of the treads, regardless of whether or not there is 30+% more surface area.
In contrast to barefoot/minimalist running, Hoka running shoes have recently made their debut in the USA:

http://www.hokaoneone.com/en/catalog.html

Ran a 100 miler in Utah last weekend and was surprised to see quite a few pair out there.

:)
There site is still not giving a US distributer but I remember looking deeper a few months back and thought I came across a place in Utah with a name that had Wasatch in the title actually carrying them. Obviously can see why that area and the Wasatch and Bear would draw a lot of people trying them.

They are wicked expensive, if I remember like $170-80 so I decided to hold off until I heard more. IF you hear of a good distributer or any feedback you trust let me know!

I have not checked out the other posted links, so I hope mine is not repetitive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE
I participated in a New Balance study that gave me a full gait analysis and video taped my running using high speed film. I ran in sneakers, socks, and barefoot. Barefoot and in socks I changed from a heel striker to a forefoot striker. I don't know if technically you have to be barefoot (not in socks or Vibrams, etc.) but for me socks had an effect on my form. I could feel a great difference in socks vs. barefoot though.

Like Wu I do some running in VFF, I found that I built up endurance quickly, the first couple times I was sore after, but quickly built up strength. I also do almost all of my summer hiking in them, I'm just transitioning back into regular hikers for warmth now. I simply can't say enough good things about the Five Fingers, I won't use anything else from now on unless it's simply too cold.

Ihave gone in Vibram Five Fingers a handfull of times. I took it slow and ran one mile or so. I had heard that people who start will notice weakness in the calf, which is the case for me. I don't have any knee or ankle tendon/ligamaent pain. I just feel like I over exerted muscle and feel sore the day after. While running everythign feels great. Of course my form has changed but everything fell into place with little to no effort.

In contrast to barefoot/minimalist running, Hoka running shoes have recently made their debut in the USA:

http://www.hokaoneone.com/en/catalog.html

Ran a 100 miler in Utah last weekend and was surprised to see quite a few pair out there. I wanna try 'em!!

:)

You ran The Bear 100? Looks like a beautiful race, congrats.
I want to ease my way into VFF's and see how running and hiking in them will work for me. I like the idea of turning to a more natural way of moving, if 37 years of wearing shoes has not ruined my chances :rolleyes: