TSA Regulations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some tips on flying with gear:

~ EMS sells a gigantic black bag that is bigger than any piece of luggage I've ever seen. I bought a few and use 1 or 2 for every big trip I take out west. It holds all my gear (except fuel). This appears to be latest version of it: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11792866&cp=3677352.11373430.3696603
~ you can carry on OR check-in food (except for maybe freeze-dried stuff)
~ REI, EMS, etc. sell trekking pole tips to put on your trekking poles. That'll prevent them from ruining anything
~ You can bring an empty nalgene bottle through security and then fill up with tap water (as opposed to paying $3 or $4 for bottled water)
~ some TSA employees don't want you to even ship your empty stove; they claim a "spark" could still occur; others don't care and will let it pass (you do run the risk of having them toss it if you do check it in)
~ bring your most valuable hiking clothing and boots as a carry-on in case luggage is lost
~ know the location of the nearest gear shop before you leave
~ your risk of losing luggage is significantly decreased if you do nonstop flights. Worth an extra $50-$100 in my opinion.

So I have to thank you all for the info. Feeling more optimistic about the whole experience of flying with our gear for the first time.

So we have somethings that we typically like to have with us. I realize we could just go to a grocery and or REI or any of the outfitters for certain things but we have to keep in mind it a holiday. My next question is about flying with certain liquids and the quantities. I have a thousand of these ind packets of peanut butter and jelly, hand sanitizer, powdered toothpaste and have just gotten comfortable with these items. Could we essentially, carry 2 days worth of food in our checked bag?

So I have to thank you all for the info. Feeling more optimistic about the whole experience of flying with our gear for the first time.

So we have somethings that we typically like to have with us. I realize we could just go to a grocery and or REI or any of the outfitters for certain things but we have to keep in mind it a holiday. My next question is about flying with certain liquids and the quantities. I have a thousand of these ind packets of peanut butter and jelly, hand sanitizer, powdered toothpaste and have just gotten comfortable with these items. Could we essentially, carry 2 days worth of food in our checked bag?

There isn't much for food that you can't put in your checked bagged. The only risk is if anything were to leak if crushed or explodes due to depressurization. If you can spare the space and the weight, then it's not a bad idea to pre-pack.

I carry quart and a few gallon ziplock bags, along with sandwich containers and sandwich bags, in my checked luggage. Anything liquid, cosmetic or food, is in a bag. They rarely open, but when they do, it helps cleanup - and also organization.

For several years when I lived in the west I'd bring back Russian dressing (Ken's) as it isn't sold in the west, and until I could find a good brand of cheddar cheese (Tillamook) I'd also pack Cabot's cheddar cheese whenever I was on the east coast. Mostly flew either SouthWest or United and never had a problem with TSA. I always put those items in checked luggage.

Last edited:
Sweet this all makes me feel much better. Seriously, thanks for the great info everyone. Im not much a flier anyway, throw the backpacking gear into the question and I am clueless.

Just landed in Denver, (flew Southwest from Manchester) and carried my hiking poles as a carry-on.
Stuffed them in my backpack, tips up and wrapped in bubble wrap. The TSA guy pulled
me aside to check "the book" and said I was fine, hiking poles are no problem, ski poles
Are not allowed as carry on.
Have a great trip! It's not as smoky as I thought it would be....here in Denver anyway! :)

You guys have a great trip too!! looks like that summit pic you re on is Hale instead of Mt. Jackson NH???!!!

Just landed in Denver, (flew Southwest from Manchester) and carried my hiking poles as a carry-on.
Stuffed them in my backpack, tips up and wrapped in bubble wrap. The TSA guy pulled
me aside to check "the book" and said I was fine, hiking poles are no problem, ski poles
Are not allowed as carry on.
Have a great trip! It's not as smoky as I thought it would be....here in Denver anyway! :)
Thanks for posting this.