Tuckerman SAR :(

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
Some of you may have heard that last night another person died on Tuckerman Ravine. There are things in life in which transpire in which we must answer to, in this case the loss of life.

Last night, the Pinkham Notch front desk summoned my presence to assist in the recovery of the remains of a duodegenarian that expired due to injury on the Tuckerman headwall.

Leaving in dusk I climbed to Hermit Lake with other colleagues to the recovery. The climb was brisk and fast as I climbed through the talus trail. Coming to Hermit Lake, was personal relief. But I continued on to the brink of nightfall.

When arriving all I did was wait with other folks from the AMC that were drafted for the litter carry. In a long, dignified process, the remains of the deceased hiker were roped across from the outcropping to the trail. We employed hand-over-hand until the officers of Fish and Game used rope carries.

The AMC staff and the officers transported the white clad litter down the trail. The whole descent was like a mountainside funeral in deep Quaker-like silence.

Arriving at Hermit Lake, our thanks was bid by the officers and senior staff of AMC in which myself and others descended down the "Sherbie" to Pinkham. The operation lasted the concourse of the evening [5-midnight].

I would have never expected to have been part of such an experience. We all hear about it, but when we ourselves are involved, our feelings change.

Article:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Man+dies+in+Tuckerman's+Ravine&articleId=73f8f750-c154-4acb-b8ad-624794f821c7

This was a very sobering report and yet important for us to see on many levels. The loss of a life is not just a short story in the news. The impact is far reaching. It would no doubt help friends and family in their healing if they are able to know of the dignity and solomness and professionalism of those who had a hand in their loved one's return from the mountain. Thank you for your loving service last night.