Two Giggly Girls Summit Tecumseh (Sage's 1st 4K)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Cut and pasted from http://trishandalex.blogspot.com
and http://sagehikes.blogspot.com

Accompanying pictures and videos can be found there.

Mt. Tecumseh Trail, Sosman Trail.

5 miles roundtrip.

Sage has been saying she wanted to try a 4K for some time now. For a while, I had my doubts about taking her out. The main reason was that I didn't know WHY she wanted to try a 4K. Did she think I loved her less than I loved Alex, simply because Alex hikes with me all the time? Did she feel left out? Was she fed up with Alex getting so much attention from other hikers? Was it good old fashioned sibling rivalry?

Sage has always liked being outside, and she has always enjoyed hiking -- at her own pace, and on her own terms. So having her try a 4K is fine, in and of itself. The situation I've been trying to avoid, however, is having her try something that she's not ready for, and then having her feel bad about herself because she didn't make the summit. None of that pressure would come from me, or from Alex -- but I was the youngest child in our family, and I remember what it was like to be frustrated because I couldn't yet do what my older sister could. Our 4K experience had to be a positive one, no matter what, and I had to make certain she understood that it was a successful hike and a valiant effort even if we didn't make it all the way up.

Alex and I had a few private conferences during the past couple of weeks. We both agreed that we would take Sage with us on our Tecumseh hike. We also both agreed that we would go at Sage's pace, and rest anytime Sage requested. We'd put aside our usual go-go-go mindset and tailor the excursion completely to Sage's mood and abilities. And, of course, we'd turn back the moment Sage asked. Alex was extremely agreeable to all of this, and looked forward to getting her sister out there with us, no matter how far we did or did not go.

The three of us agreed we'd hike on Valentine's Day weekend, a weekend where their father would be away on a business trip (so no father-daughter time would be sacrificed).

The girls came up with the idea of passing out Valentine's Day candy to other hikers on the trail. Therefore, their backpacks were heavier than they needed to be, being stuffed with individually wrapped chocolate hearts. Neither seemed to mind the prospect of carrying excess weight.

The day arrived, and we hit the trail at 7am.

Our pace was relaxed, and Sage stopped every twenty feet or so to examine tracks, rocks, trees, boulders, and snow. Alex and I took Sage's lead and therefore ended up appreciating much more than we normally would have. It was an enlightening experience. Sage enabled us to really SEE what we were hiking through.

We came to the "view" sign at 9am, two hours after having left the car. The sun shone brightly, and we sat in the warm light and had a long and luxurious food break.

The time came to tackle the hard part -- that dreadful, never-ending steep latter mile. I prepped Sage by telling her that it would be a horrible experience, but that we'd stop often, be very silly, and turn back anytime she chose. Sage was determined, cheerful, and full of hot chocolate, so she gave us the green light.

It was an Extremely Silly Ascent. To make things easier (for them), I began by hiking on my knees. Laughing at their mother seemed to add a little extra fuel to both girls' fires.

When my knees simply could not take it any more, I stood and walked in a normal fashion. It was then Sage's turn to be goofy -- she picked up a stick and "hunted" Alex and me up the trail.

Many, many breaks were taken. Here, Alex makes a few glove prints in the snow.

Many original songs were sung. Our favorite, sung to the tune of Cinderella's Mouse Song (while the mice are making Cinderella's dress) and sung in high, squeaky mouse voices:

We can do it, we can do it,
We can hike the big ole' mountain,
With balaclavas pretty,
There's nothing to it really.

At one point, Alex and Sage devised a game where Alex would run ahead, sit down, and wait for Sage to approach. Once Sage got close to Alex, she was to talk/sing while waving her stick around.

More breaks, more food.

We finally reached the sign leading us up the last couple tenths of a mile to the summit.

The path to our left was packed out, while the path to our right had one lonely set of animal tracks on it (both ways lead to the top).

We decided we'd go the way greatly traveled. But first, another break!

After more munching and hydrating, we made the final push toward the summit. All three of us were in fine spirits, having been completely ridiculous all the way up the steep parts of the trail.

And then -- four hours after leaving the "view," and six hours after leaving the car -- Sage bags her first 4K (and Alex bags her 15th winter 4K)!

There were several people enjoying themselves on the summit. One of the kind men offered to take our picture.

Views from the top:

Summit chocolate!

We lounged about for almost half an hour, the girls often engaging in some bizarre game that I don't understand...

Then came -- the descent!

Much fun was had sledding down the mountain. To keep things safe, I'd hike ahead to a certain point, then give the girls the go-ahead. In this manner, I was able to prevent them from going too fast or too far (though I did get run over once or twice).

We returned to the final, flat portion of the trail, and Sage walked ahead of us, extremely proud of herself.

Both girls tagged the trailhead sign, and then it was official. Sage's first 4K, and Alex's 15th winter 4K.

Ascent time: 6 hours. Descent time: 1 hour, 35 minutes. Total hike time: 7 hours, 35 minutes.

Random notes:

The girls gave away over a bag and a half of candy to many surprised and friendly hikers.

My kids are LOUD!

Slow and silly beats fast and focused.

Hands down, the most fun any of us have ever had on a hike.

Last edited:
Awesome, awesome, awesome!! This is a great example of a journey hike, and the bagging the summit is just a minor plus. I'm glad I was able to share this experience thru your trail report!

Keep em coming, and congratulations to Sage getting her first. :)

grouseking

Lots of amusing elements to this story!

Congratulations first to Sage for 4K #1, at an amazingly young age. And to you other two, for having the flexibility to totally adopt Sage's pace for this one.

The whole day sounds like great entertainment. Got to love the image of the girls handing out their candies -- they've also learned trail magic early!

Last edited:
Awesome, awesome, awesome!! This is a great example of a journey hike, and the bagging the summit is just a minor plus.

Grouseking -- yes, that's exactly the attitude we had. We were going to spend the day outside, walking along, and there would be some hills to climb along the way, but we'd just take our time and enjoy our surroundings. If/when we got to the summit, then good for us, but that would be a bonus to the enjoyable experience of just being out there. This approach worked wonders. We had a great time, Sage went forward of her own accord, and Alex and I learned to SLOW DOWN and look around. Had we rushed things, the hike would have been too much for Sage and she would have wanted to turn back.

Lots of amusing elements to this story!

Congratulations first to Sage for 4K #1, at an amazingly young age. And to you other two, for having the flexibility to totally adopt Sage's pace for this one.

The whole day sounds like great entertainment. Got to love the image of the girls handing out their candies -- they've also learned trail magic early!

Thanks, DynamiteSr. Yes, tailoring the hike around Sage's style was essential. Had we tried to make her hurry, or had we denied her the many breaks she requested, this day would have gone much differently. Instead, we followed her lead and matched our pace to hers, and the result was a fun-filled stroll up Tecumseh. Honestly, I never thought I could enjoy Tecumseh so much. :)

Also, the candy idea -- they loved that, they so looked forward to meeting other hikers and giving them candy that I think that idea helped spur Sage onward whenever she felt tired. They would shout "Happy Almost Valentine's Day" to all who approached and hold out little foil-wrapped chocolate hearts. It was a funny sight, I am sure no hiker expected to see two grinning little girls standing in the middle of the trail with a bunch of Valentine's Day offerings in their outstretched hands. :D

Slow and silly beats fast and focused. Esp. when chocolate is envolved.

What a fun day for you and your girls. The inventive Cinderella song and the knee hiking says it all! I could use a girly day like that!

Trish, each time I begin to think that you couldn't possibly out do yourself with a Trip Report, what do you do?! You out do yourself!
Anyway, it was a tough choice to make, but here are two (of many) quotes from your report that I think are significant.
Hands down, the most fun any of us have ever had on a hike.
That speaks volumes!
The girls came up with the idea of passing out Valentine's Day candy to other hikers on the trail. Therefore, their backpacks were heavier than they needed to be, being stuffed with individually wrapped chocolate hearts. Neither seemed to mind the prospect of carrying excess weight.
That also speaks volumes! Not only do your girls have an amazing aptitude for hiking, but they are very thoughtful as well (could this be a result of good parenting?!).;):)

What a fun day for you and your girls.

Cymbidium, thank you. Indeed, it was a fun day -- it felt more like we were goofing around outside than trying to bag a peak.

Cute report Trish, and congrats to Sage!:)

Thanks, Petch! :)

Your children sound like amazing kids! :)

DR, I might be biased, but yes, my kids are amazing! :p Have to tell you, I love reading your reports. Hopefully, one day my girls will be able to do the kinds of things that you do. They'll have to learn that stuff from someone besides me, though. I don't have those kinds of serious skills! Maybe one day...

Trish, each time I begin to think that you couldn't possibly out do yourself with a Trip Report, what do you do?! You out do yourself!

Kind words indeed. Here on the hiking forums, I just post the text that accompanies the pictures and videos that I have on my blogs. I'm glad folks enjoy reading about the girls' adventures. You in particular are always so supportive -- thank you.

Oh, to have been one of the chickadees who watched all the fun!

Thanks, erugs!

BTW did you see any Jays?

Hal, no -- I've never seen any Jays on Tecumseh. Maybe when Sage does Jackson or Tom we can get one to land on her. :)

Too funny, and congrats to Sage. I think that Farmer should carry a few pounds of candy to hand out to folks on his next winter Pemi loop.

fair enough, but i was just regreting me and Rebecca's decision to hike the moose on sunday. i love chocolate and speed climbing the Mighty Tecumseh.:)

I missed out on free chocolate!?!? DAMN!

Can you and the girls plan to hike the Valley Way Trail to Madison a week from Friday? We'll be starting our Presi Traverse that morning and I'm sure we could use a candy break. (Leftover V-Day candy is fine, you don't have to go out and get us Godiva or anything...)

:D:D:D

Butt seriously, looks like it was a fun hike and props to Sage for her first 4K!!

What a great experience for all. A true team effort, where everyone learned and grew. Wonderful report!

Thanks, folks!

J.Dub, we won't be on Madison Friday, sorry. :)

That being said...the girls liked the candy idea so much that we may implement it permanently. In the future, anyone who passes the three of us on a 4K trail will probably get some free chocolate. :D

Nice hike girls! Really love the ingenuity and positive attitude you have instilled in the girls! We used to do alot of hikes when we were very young with my mom. Most times Stinson was a full day never mind a 4K. You did great to get down in the time you did, after all there is so much out there worth seeing and from Sage's perspective her universe is still expanding exponentially! The pictures and videos are terrific, sorry I even laughed when Alex wiped you out. Thanks for sharing something wonderful to make us all feel young again! Congrats to Sage for 4K #1 in Winter! Woo Hoo! Also congrats to Alex for Winter 4K #15 and bonus points for taking out the photographer on her luge run back down!;) Trish congrats to you and Hugh for raising giving and caring sweethearts that were more concerned with what they did for others on Valentine's Day than what they might receive! You folks do so well at chalking up a lifetime of wonderful memories and thanks again for sharing!;)

Smitty, we would love to meet you and your three year old daughter. Maybe the two of you can join us on a stroll up Bald Mountain sometime! We'd bring the chocolate.

You did great to get down in the time you did, after all there is so much out there worth seeing and from Sage's perspective her universe is still expanding exponentially! The pictures and videos are terrific, sorry I even laughed when Alex wiped you out.

Hi Dave, we got down quickly because of the relative ease of winter descents. So much easier to slide than to walk! I have a feeling this peak might still be out of Sage's reach in summer conditions...at least for a dayhike.

Glad you liked the pictures and videos. Alex wiping me out was a classic. Sage wiped out Alex a couple of times, too..a good time was had by all. :D