"Uh-oh" Moments

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frodo said:
Paul realized that he forgot his winter boots! He was wearing sneakers. :eek: We ended up chalking this trip up as being a 6 RT hour "scenic drive'.. :D
When I was 17, I ended up climbing up Bondcliff in November, 2 ft of snow, in Converse all stars after falling into the brook. In hindsight, I should have turned around. But at 17, I was invincible.

Quietman said:
When I was 17, I ended up climbing up Bondcliff in November, 2 ft of snow, in Converse all stars after falling into the brook. In hindsight, I should have turned around. But at 17, I was invincible.

Did the same thing this November, for a traverse of the Weeks range with MEB, Little Sister, Steve, Poison Ivy and a few other VFTT'rs. I too stepped in a brook after about a half mile and mine were an old pair of Adidas, not Converse. Less snow too - maybe a foot at the higher elevations.

I didn't have the excuse of being 17 (I was that once) and am highly vincible. I was wearing a good pair of socks, however, and the hike was fine - not uneven uncomfortable. Better lucky than smart.

Frodo said:
Paul realized that he forgot his winter boots! He was wearing sneakers.
That happened to a friend of my mothers, they went to a discount store and bought a pair of rubber boots which were OK to snowshoe the easy 4K peak they were planning. If your goal was tougher you might have to rightsize it.

My biggest "uh oh" would be a gradually increasing problem that I've had over time that finally was driven home to me two years ago on a winter hike up Seymour. Ever since I began winter hiking, I've struggled to eat and drink enough, and this has lately translated to summer hiking as well, especially on long hikes. Two trips in particular, one in summer (Fir, Big Indian, Eagle, Balsam and all the way back) and then the trip up Seymour in winter showed me just how dangerous this can be. On the Catskill summer trip, it was raining and I had started sometime around noon, and it was 22 miles. The last two miles I just wanted to lay down, and I couldn't eat. Actually, coming all the way back I had to force one handful of peanuts down my throat every hour or so, and that was all I could do. I just forced myself to keep walking, and collapsed in the car. Next day's 17 miler over Table, Peekamoose, Lone, Rocky, Balsam Cap, Friday and Slide, I forced myself to eat on every peak, and it made a huge difference.

The Seymour trip was worse. I hadn't eaten or drunk nearly enough, and on the long stretch of road from the trailhead to where it was plowed, again I had to force peanuts and a powerbar into my stomach. I was ever so sleepy, and nauseated too, for the last three miles, after dark, in the cold. And so thankful to finally get out. The one handful of peanuts kicked in after 15 minutes and gave me enough energy to want to eat the powerbar. I'm not sure at what point hypothermia would have been a serious issue, but I think I was close.

I still struggle with this problem, but now I have a sort of alarm system. Once I start feeling my stomach growl, I know that I have about an hour's window to eat before I will become disgusted at the thought of eating, after which it is a lost cause, so I force myself to eat within that hour. Usually not very much, because it still isn't very appealing. I've switched to Macadamia nuts as my primary trail food in winter, because a quarter cup has 200 fat calories, and since I can only "stomach" about a handful at a time, it packs a lot of energy and I'm ok.

I wish I had this problem at home. I have no trouble scarfing down everything in the fridge, most days.

Coming down Lions Head in winter..on a very icy and slick trail day, I grabbed onto a birch tree coming down in the middle of the trail and it broke! I flew down on my back about 70 feet down the mountain and grabbed onto a tree and swung around just before I went off the edge of one of the cliff like edges..I layed back after about to pass out and went over what had happend...there are others as well..-Mattl

Hiked into Sargent Ponds area one snowy November in the Adirondacks with someone who brought the tent, saying "it's in great condition, only used a couple of times" so I took his word for it. Upon setting it up, we both said "Uh-oh!" as the "tent" (vinyl?) virtually disintigrated before our very eyes, rendering it useless. Fortunately we were with a group and each of us was able to grab space in someone else's tent. Not that far back to the car in any case. In other circumstances it could have been a serious issue.

Lost a pair of expensive sunglasses on a bushwack.

Tripped over a rock and broke my digital camera last summer.

Last summer I experimented with bringing fresh peppers on a multi-day trip. I made the mistake of cutting them up right away, and they promptly went bad. Fortunately the trip included a break at the car, where I was able to dispose of the rotten peppers, but the smell lingered on all of my gear. I washed everything with Dr. B's, but for the rest of the trip (6 days) all I could smell was rancid peppers. Nasty :eek:

this winter, b/c outside of mt. rose in reno, whiteout conditions in an unfamiliar area. I'd seen the area once before, but made an overcorrection on the return trip after being unable to find the turns. Went out for an hour, then three hours later finally found the road. I kept telling myself just to turn back and find my tracks, but once you get in the groove.... anyways, I finally started taking that damn compass with me everywhere, even saved my ass once since then

cheers!

Recently on a hike with a group of about 10. One person decides to go another way down and agrees to meet us. Of course, that person gets lost. Spend about 2 hours trying to locate her, some of the main group weren't too happy. Anyways, person found. All is well that ends well I guess. But I am still PO'd. :mad: :mad: :confused: :mad:

Oh, my ... how could I have forgotten my real, biggest uh-oh moment ???

Arriving at the Winter Gathering at Barnes Field to find that I'd left the bag with all my socks, long underwear, and non-hiking clothes back home.

My big uh-oh's usually involve car spots and car keys. Nothing like parking at Skookumchuck and popping out at Lincoln woods and discovering you don't have your keys...

Did that on Eisenhower a while back while doing a southern traverse. Planned to pop out on Webster cliff tr only to find out that the keys were back in the truck at the Base station. Makes for a long day...

In the mid 1960s, between class registration and the actual start of fall semester classes at college, I spent a couple of September weekdays camped at Lake Colden. Awoke one morning to a fresh deposit of snow on the ground -- an inch or two. Teamed up that day with a couple of other guys, planning to climb Mt. Colden. We missed the trail up from Lake Colden, and wound up ascending the trap dike from Avalanche Lake.

Not smart.

Somewhere well up the scramble -- above where descending was not a good option at all -- we found the rock surfaces nicely glazed with a quarter inch or so of ice. That was the (big) uh-oh! moment for us. We definitely were not equipped (gear, skill or otherwise) for those conditions.

That I’m here to write this now tells the world that all went OK in the end, but it was a decidedly hairy trip (extended uh-oh moment) to the summit.

Another instance like this, but a whole lot less scary, came a few years ago, in the Worcester Range, in Vermont.

Mrs. G. and I had climbed up to broad, open ledges below the summit of White Rock Mountain, where she plunked her tush down and said, adamantly, “I like the view from here. I’m not going any farther.” So, securing her promise to sit tight and bending one of our “rules” to the breaking point, I forged on ahead (with Mrs. G’s permission) to the summit about a quarter mile beyond.

All went pretty well to a blue-blazed final, near-vertical scramble leading several yards up a narrow crack to the top. It was intimidating, but I tackled it anyhow. About 10 ft up, or so, I realized the foot- and handholds just weren’t falling very well into place for me. That was the uh-oh (moderate) moment, since retreats from such spots often are far tackier than ascents. I managed to ease myself down physically intact but with somewhat tattered dignity.

Later that summer, Hiking Indian Pass from Adirondack Loj to Upper Works, I found myself off the trail and following a clear path up into the Pass below the beginnings of the famous Wallface cliffs. After a bit of belly-crawling up over some particularly steep spots it was becoming pretty obvious I wasn’t on the trail. Then the path petered out altogether. Mild uh-oh!

Fortunately, about that time I heard voices below and glimpsed some movement. Other hikers. The trail! The way looked doable, so I bushwhacked diagonally down a steep slope through open woods, and was back on the right track within 75 yards or so and a few minutes. My rehearsed cover story had to do with answering Nature’s call, just in case somebody on the trail asked. But it never had to be used.

Rest of the hike went without incident.

G.

Somewhere in Jacques Cartier Park (just outside of Quebec City) saw a waterfall route to the top of an untrailed mountain that the park guide said you couldn't climb. In one spot I got stuck hanging on the rocks and the melting runoff was starting to freeze my hand. At that point I realized nobody knew where I was so I'd better make it out.

-Shayne

Not me, but after hiking through the Pemi from Zealand to Lincoln Woods, over the Twins and Bonds, my mom left her lights on the spotted car. Dead battery. Before cells phones. So, we had to hitch into Lincoln to call a wrecker to get the car jumped. Wasn't too thrilled with her that day....

That's why I love driving a car with a standard tranny. I can't count the number of times I've had to push start my cars. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Uh-oh moments that are a lot funnier in retrospect....

* Standing in the middle of a (mostly) frozen lake, hearing a crack, and noticing a large fissure forming beneath my feet.

* Setting up camp in the Great Gulf after a harrowing descent of Six Husbands, turning to my friend Aaron, and saying, "Me bringing the tent? I thought you were bringing the tent."

* It's 5am on a remote gravel road at 10,000 feet. It's windy, snowing, and cold. I managed to get my Jeep into a large winddrift of snow. Hmm... it appears my shovel is about 5000 vertical feet away....

* Skiing in a whiteout and realizing, while airborne, that the "little lip" is actually a "15-foot cliff band." Oh well.

Not my uh-oh, but a good one...

Long time gone, fall hike on Washington with a planned stay at Hermit Lakes... had just set up housekeeping in one of the shelters and were enjoying the cool afternoon. Another hiker set up in the same shelter with us, and he pulled out his old Svea 123 stove. A couple other hikers including a couple of very salty AT thru-hikers assembled and we were all swapping stories, comparing gear, etc.

Well... Mr. Svea 123 pumps up his stove to start dinner, loudly proclaiming how he knows he's supposed to only use white gas, but he always runs plain old unleaded, never a problem... No sooner has he ignited the stove then something inside lets go with a loud pop and the whole thing goes up in a mushroom cloud, inside the shelter. My then-girlfriend and I back away in horror, contemplating the necessity of evacuating with our bags and such, but fortunately one of the salty thru-hiker types hops up onto the platform and casually soccer-kicks the stove out onto the ground, where we successfully managed to smother the flames before causing a major forest fire. Oh-oh indeed.

Another Uh-oh moment that's been weighing on my mind occurred during Columbus Day Weekend last autumn. On that Sunday, for my final hike of the day I wanted to take in the Royces. As you'll recall, that was a dark, rainy weekend, and even when there wasn't precipitation falling it was still quite damp and overcast out. I arrived at the parking lot for the East Royce Trail a little before four thirty (you will recall, it gets dark around 6:30 at that time of year, and even more so that day because it was so overcast). Having mis-read the guide, I thought I'd have enough time to bag both peaks and get back to the car before night fell. Due to all the dampness, I brought along on the hike an umbrella, but didn't think a flashlight would be needed, and I don't own a headlamp.

I reached East Royce okay, and even took the time to visit the true summit and the ledges beyond. Then it was on to West Royce. Due to all the rain of late, the Royce Trail west of the Connector was just about all puddles, and it took time to go around them. Right before I reached the Burnt Mill Trail I happened to check my watch, and I saw that it was six o'clock. That wasn't good. Even though it made more sense to turn back, since I was that close to West Royce I kept going, but this time with a quickened pace. In climbing that peak, I kept hoping to pop out of the woods at the summit so I could then turn around, but ultimately it didn't come soon enough for my liking. After taking a moment to locate what in the fading light appeared to be the highest point, I then started heading down. It was about 6:15-6:20 at this point, and it was already a little dark in the thicker stretches of woods.

To maximize the little light I had left, I ran/jogged along any trail sections that were flat enough and where the footing was visible. Rather than worry about the constant large puddles along the flat section of the Royce Trail, I stormed right through them, splashing my way through each of them.

On the Connector Trail, I could see okay on the open ledges, but that also made the subsequent woods seem that much darker. In descending to the East Royce Trail, it was dark enough that I lost the trail at one point, but by back tracking a little I found it again in a moment. When I did reach the East Royce Trail (at around 7 p.m.), by that point it was just becoming completely dark.

So there I was, with a downhill mile still left to the car, with no daylight left, in the woods on the eastern side of a mountain under skies that had been overcast all day. Even though I had no source of light, I had plans for the next morning, so I had little choice but to keep going.

Without being able to see where I was going, I had to feel along with my feet to determine where to take the next step. Thankfully the trail was worn enough that usually I was readily able to find where the path was going. It also helped that I was in the woods, so I wasn't able to stray too far off course without walking into branches. Due to the lack of visibility, I didn't bother trying to step on rocks at any of the brook crossings.

In this way, I managed to slowly baby-step most of the way down. At first the prospect of descending the East Royce Trail had seemed daunting, having to navigate the rest of the way back to the parking lot in the dark. However, rather than focus on how uncomfortable I was with the situation (and how dearly I wanted to be sitting in my warm car), I instead focused on the task at hand, cautiously trying to place one foot in front of the other and trying not to hurry anything. I was able to gain quite a bit of ground with this mentality and focus. However, toward the end I lost the trail. First, I backtracked until I found where I was definitely on the trail, but in following the path forward I lost it again. I went towards where I thought it went, but it didn't seem right. Backtracking again, I refound the trail, and proceeding from there, when I reached the unclear section I got down on my hands and knees and tried to feel with my hands where the treadway was going. This proved unproductive. I even tried using the light on my watch for some illumination, but unfortunately it wasn't bright enough to even faintly see the ground.

At that point, I didn't know how far up the mountain I was, or how to get back to the car from there. Unsure of which direction to head in, I considered staying there until dawn. However, since this was supposed to be a quick hike, I really wasn't dressed for a cold, damp night on the mountain. Besides, I had appointments in the morning to keep.

As I stood there trying to figure out what to do, I heard a car approaching, then saw it drive by on the road, about 10-20 yards in front of me. I was just about to crash through the remaining woods in that direction when I noticed the faintest hint of trail on my right. Proceeding in that direction, I found that I was indeed on the path. In a few moments I was happily splashing through the last swollen brook (which I had so painstakingly rock hopped across on the way up the mountain). As I did so, ahead of me I could just make out the open area of the parking lot, with the edge of the informational kiosk on the right. Back at last!

I think it goes without saying how happy I was to see my car at that moment, and to be able to sit in its dry interior. Even though I wasn't too happy during the last mile of this outing, I'm still glad I was able to bag the Royces that day (then again, it's easy for me to say that, since no one was injured as a result of my mistakes). Obviously, subsequent to this hike I've been more careful about getting out of the woods before dark, and one plus of experiences like this is that they make day jobs in safe, warm, well-lit but boring office buildings seem not so bad. After all, there are certainly worse things than sitting in a comfortable chair for eight hours a day.

Last edited:
Hmmm . . .

Solo, untrained rock scrambling, a whole ocean between me and anyone who would care about me being overdue, lose grip on rock, lean back involuntarily and nearly come off, lean head forward to regain balance, come back into contact with the now much-loved rock, stop foolish upward movement and commence careful downward retreat, past the granitic nubbin that would have split my back like a cleaver on a ripe peach.

Solo, heavy backpack, on steep, unplanned bushwhack (winter rains had scoured the trail off the hillside, right down to bedrock). Too steep to continue sidehilling "safely" with the pack on, take pack off and fling it down the hill, watch it travel WAY faster and farther than planned, and now must duplicate pack's downclimb.

Solo, simple little walk in the eventide, no need for the Stabilicers 'cuz the ice is "almost" gone, right? Foot finds a teensy, tiny invisible patch of the "almost" gone ice, this followed immediately by an all-too-brief levitation, and then a very hard, layback landing. Bounce head off ground; when faculties resume, I express gratitude to the lumbar pack that took some of the blow. (This is the one that finally convinced me to start wearing the helmet more often on icy solo backcountry jaunts, instead of just carrying it "in case" it's needed.)