Vasque Hiking Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
Does anyone hike in a pair of Vasque Sundowner Classic GTX? If so how do you like them? I just purchased a pair from www.rwss.com for $133.99 and that was the cheapest I could find. They are like 60 bucks cheaper than EMS and REI. Also they are offering a free pair of hiking socks and water proofing with your purchase! Also free shipping!!!!! GREAT DEAL!!!!!

I just retired an old pair of Vasque boots (Icannot remember the style) and I was very happy with them. So I thought I would upgrade to an all leather boot. :) I still have not recieved them yet as I just placed the order on Monday. I cannot wait to get them and break them in before my hiking starts in the Adirondacks :D

Adam

I hiked in Vasque Sundowners ( all leather) for two seasons and they were great! I'm sure you'll love them, and I can tell your ready to try 'em :)

i rock the very boots you speak of. i've had them for a couple of years, and they've held up admirably. the only thing that has happened is the rubber sole came slightly unglued from the leather upper part of the boot, this was easily fixed with some super glue though. i've read in many places that these boots supposedly come almost broken in, this isn't true though, they took a couple of weeks to mold just right. even though they took a short break in time, i haven't gotten a single blister from these boots. they've been getting nice and soft lately, which is something i love. you'll need to stay after them with the nikwax if you want to water to bead away, but i've found that even if they get soaked my feet stay dry. this is not the stiffest boot, but it's a well built day hiker or a lightweight backpacking boot. i've heard that more sundowners make it end to end on the AT than any other boot, so they're tough too.

luke

My love affair with Vasque Sundowners

Love them, love them, love them. They were my first pair of serious hiking boots back in 1997 before i knew anything about hiking. Since then I've tried the more lightweight hiking options and have always been disappointed. I am convinced that hiking footwear is all about personal preference and that no one is right or wrong about what is good. I love that I can bomb through mud, puddles, shallow streams with no worries about getting my feets wet. Plus they make a women's size 11. (yes, they really are that big!) I replaced my 1997 boots with a new pair of Sundowners last summer before heading out on the LT. I keep my old pair at work (i have access to hiking trail behind where I work) or in the car during the winter commute.

They do take some breaking in, of course, so I wouldn't recommend serious distance hiking right away unless you're into pain. And the regular application of nixwax is a good rec as well. Hope they give you lots of happy miles.

Don't know about that model in particular. My main mucking around boots are Vasque something or other and I've had them for 11 years.

vtlukekultv said:
i rock the very boots you speak of. i've had them for a couple of years, and they've held up admirably. the only thing that has happened is the rubber sole came slightly unglued from the leather upper part of the boot, this was easily fixed with some super glue though. i've read in many places that these boots supposedly come almost broken in, this isn't true though, they took a couple of weeks to mold just right. even though they took a short break in time, i haven't gotten a single blister from these boots. they've been getting nice and soft lately, which is something i love. you'll need to stay after them with the nikwax if you want to water to bead away, but i've found that even if they get soaked my feet stay dry. this is not the stiffest boot, but it's a well built day hiker or a lightweight backpacking boot. i've heard that more sundowners make it end to end on the AT than any other boot, so they're tough too.

luke

The reason I am retiring my Vasque that I have now is for that same reason. The rubber sole came unglued from the upper. I guess Vasque is known for this. I tried fixing the sole with Shoo Goo and after about 5 miles of rough hiking they came ulglued again. So I figured I would upgrade and see what happens. Next time maybe I should try super glue :D

1ADAM12 said:
The reason I am retiring my Vasque that I have now is for that same reason. The rubber sole came unglued from the upper. I guess Vasque is known for this. I tried fixing the sole with Shoo Goo and after about 5 miles of rough hiking they came ulglued again. So I figured I would upgrade and see what happens. Next time maybe I should try super glue :D

i tried shoo goo myself actually. that's no good for snowshoeing with. i knew that super glue wouldn't hold anything down, so i just ran it on the edge like it's a bead of caulk. it took multiple layers, but it's hard as a rock now.

luke

ahhh, an excellent choice in boots my friend. i bought my sundowners 6 or 7 years ago and they are my favorite boots. much better than the boots i had previous and better than two other pairs i had in the meantime. i had my sundowners resoled last summer and they feelin' better than ever.

its tough not wearing them every day, wish i could have a pair for hiking and a pair for around town....well maybe not the theater:)

I bought a bargain pair of Vasque Sundowners that were on sale at REI, a return, that at the time were about 60% of the retail price. Put many miles on them (including about 80 of the 100 highest, the other 20 were done in sneakers before I knew better!) and when they began losing traction I had them resoled with no consequence to their being waterproof.

Now, this pair has been retired only to be worn during painting and yardwork ... and replaced by a new pair which I think is the current version of the Sundowner. The only reason the old ones are semi-retired is that I believe the steel shank was starting to break down and I wanted protection for my feet that a good shank gives on long hikes with heavy loads.

I got a pair of Scarpa fabric and leathers but I don't the model. They were Campmor closeouts. They are OK, but as they age they are getting uncomfortable. I have some serious heel spurs and it's not uncommon for a boot to age into uncomfortability for me.

The heavier boots are just great. I think they are the Scarpa Manta M4 somethings. All leather, rigid sole, accepts a step in crampon. I've used them in winter and summer and they've done well. I've used them on breakneck ridge and found that the rigid sole edges really well so I tend to use these when I'm bushwhacking or scrambling.

i have the sundowner mx2's and really like them though i have incurred a problem

the gore tex layer now hangs loose like a sock inside the boot, most likely due to the putting in and taking out of my orthotics( which hasnt happend with my lowa klondike light hikers).

i called vasque to no avail and tent & trails wasnt helpfull either.since then i have had soggy foot problems in wet & snowy conditions despite repeated treatments with nikwax.

anyone else have this problem or are anomylous gear malfunctions my specialty? :D

charlos said:
the gore tex layer...

i called vasque to no avail and tent & trails wasnt helpfull either.since then i have had soggy foot problems in wet & snowy conditions despite repeated treatments with nikwax.

anyone else have this problem or are anomylous gear malfunctions my specialty?

A Gortex layer in boots will make your feet wetter. At best it reduces moisture transport, at worst (ie after the gortex gets dirty and clogs) it blocks moisture transport making your feet swim in their own sweat.

I, personally, avoid Gortex boots.

Doug

ever since are the key words here!
my lowas are goretex and my feet stay dry, maybe a little perspiration moisture but nothing like the vasques.

I'm in my 4th or 5th pair of Sundowners since my AT hike in '95. $133? I may just buy a couple more pairs for future years- that's how much I love them.

Vasque

Vasque Sundowners are great, first real hiking boot, last forever, put thousands of miles on them, great boots

Lindsey

Well, I recieved the boots on Monday from UPS. I tried the boots on and they feel great. I went on a short 4 mile hike with them Monday night up a small mountain (hill) near my house. They totally killed my feet. If I wear them everyday how long until I break them in?

Also it seems like you all recommend nikwax for treating the leather. Is there anything else to put on the leather to help break them in?

Thanks,
Adam

Good news on the boots, getting them to fit via mail order can be difficult.

I have used Nikwax, but my all time favorite is plain old Mink Oil. It is not as heavy as Nikwax and will soak into the leather a lot easier. It is also more available, look in the shoe polish section of most any store. I don't know if this helps them break in quicker. The only thing that works for me is hiking in them, since I also need to toughen my feet to the boots.

Tony