Very enjoyable small hikes in NH-dec 26th-28th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmus

Reaction score
It was great to be back in New Hampshire for my first hikes since feet surgery.

Wednesday was beautiful, and I felt really REALLY good. So I decided to test my feet on Mt Willard. Very smooth ascent, broken trails all the way, and amazing views from the ledges. 3 miles, no pain at all. After that I went to check for Mats at the other parking lot and left a note in his car (nice meeting you Al :) ).

After a good night sleep in Maine (thanks Barry), we headed toward Twin Mountains and went up Cherry Mtn. JS wanted to go for Owl's Head, I thought I'd see once up there if I was ready for more.

The Cherry Mtn trail was broken all the up BY A SNOWMOBILE :eek: Very bad footing, of course. Once on the summit we looked for Martha's mile, it was not easy to find because the sign was well hidden. I was still feeling good, so we went on and reached Owl's head in no time. The descent was more painful since my toes were crushed in the plastics. Sadly, there was no views.

The last 0.5mi was frustrating (see the map to know why). Also, very bad footing in that area, very wet. I managed to hike 5 miles that day, minor pain during the evening, and major sore body the day after !!

Friday the weather was still warm and cloudy, so I decided to go for Bald Pk and Artist's bluff before hitting the highway. Good choice, it was fast and very interesting. The upper sections are fun to scramble up, there was no ice. I used my snowshoes all the way. Previous post-holes were very tough on my feet, because it made the footing unleveled.

It went so fast I can't believe I'm home already ! I'll be hiking again soon, maybe 8 miles next time :D :)

Way to go!

Glad to see you're back out there! I've done all those hikes and they are fun. I was coming back from knee surgery and they were good alternatives to the 4k's.

KDT

Awesome - congrats! Glad to hear you're out and about again. :)

Hey Timmus, good for you!

See you on the trails soon.