VFTT Gathering 10.0

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did mean the second shot -- oops! I thought it looked like Morraine Lake. I think it's a beautiful shot! I asked about the filter because we just bought a new camera and with it we purchased a set of GND filters. We've never used them before, but think they will be great for the sunrise/sunset photos we like to take. Besides the filters you mentioned, are there other ones you use a lot? So much to learn! :D

In the shot of Vermillion Lake, is that Mt. Rundle in the background?

I use the tobacco filter very sparingly. I think it works ok in this photo:

emerald.jpg

But most of the time it looks fake - tobacco in the sky and none in the reflection. So I really don't use it much.

Pretty much the only filters I use are Circular Polarizers and Graduated Neutral Density. I use the CP filter to get the sky blue, punch up the colors, and reduce glare on water / wet rocks etc. The GND filter is used for sunset shots and reflections. It can also be used on any landscape shot with a lot of sky. It can knock down the inensity of the sky and give you details in clouds.

I use a Cokin P holder, but I use a Singh-Ray Galen Rowell GND filter. I tried the Cokin GND filter, but it is not a true neutral filter. They put a grey cast on the shot. The Singh-Ray filters are true neutral and do not put any color cast on the shot. You pay for it though. They are $100 each. I have a 2 stop hard step one. I'd like to get a soft step one but I haven't gotten it yet.

Some sample shots taken with the GND:

maroonbells.jpg

washingtonss-lg.jpg

franc-le-lg.jpg

Too many to post.

Other than those two, I am not a big user of filters. A warming filter (81) is useful for macro shots on blue sky days, but I haven't ever bought one. :eek:

Oh yah, and that it Mt Rundle in the background of Vermillion Lake.

- darren

Last edited:
Hey Darren

Did you just delete that line about a Nature Photography forum? I'm interested.

Papa Bear

Last edited by a moderator:
Shameless plug for Darren's photos...

I bought the Lake Louise picture from Darren and it's hanging on a wall at my house. It doesn't look quite 'natural' so to speak, but there's something really cool about it none-the-less. I like it. (I also have the picture of the purple crocuses in my house, that one is attractive too.)

On topic

Nice, the webmaster pirates your thread!! (ARRRRGH!!) Admittedly, owning a DA photo is nice, and it keeps him happy -- order yours today!!! :cool:

Back on G10.0 topic, let's acknowledge that a CR outing is in the future at the discretion of the idea maker. Darren, remember that we'll need plenty of time to book sites and travel plans.

Fro now, even though it is early... let's throw out ideas about G10.0 - Smokies and WVa have been heard from. My .02 cents that gatherings are nice to both hike regional peaks and get together. Many on this forum are aspiring 46,48,115r's and enjoy the ability to add peaks in any of the NE regions.

NY and ME have had a couple years, MA this past year and VT the prior year - is this a NH kind of year??? (Always a favorite of mine!!)

Is there something that would make a 10th annual affair special?? Ridgerunner, you have any special thoughts other than in far away counties and hanging on ice?? ;)

One more off topic post and then I'll be good. :) Darren, thanks for the info. We do have a circular polarizer (old and new camera) and it makes such a difference. Steve has mentioned a warming filter too, but if we were to purchase one, it's well off in the future. Okay, hijack over. ;)

Given the excellent turnout and incredible variety of the the "not so winter" winter gathering 9.5, its going to be tough to top it. Some general observations from attending gatherings over the years is that the following is neccessary

A large outdoor shelter big enough to hold 40 or 50 people with room for tables and a band

An electric source.

One big a-s fire pit, large enough for pallets and a wood supply to match.

Nearby Showers

Porta Potties

A large field or open woods for camping (preferably not ringed by poison ivy!).

Plenty of parking

Nearby hiking, canoeing, kayaking and biking

Easy access from all points of the compass

Distance from the general public so the party can go all night.

Nearby beer/liquor store

To further complicate things it has to be at a place that doesnt require anyone to commit to until the last minute ;)

Others will no doubt have other suggestions.

Working on the assumption that NH is the logical site for the 9.999 (10 is reserved for Darren or ridgerunner), I think we need to start seeing if everyone agrees to the criteria and seeing if there is such a place.

As much as the idea of heading to the Canadian Rockies or somewhere down south sounds appealing, I'd personally like to see the gathering held somewhere in the northeast. It's where most of us are from; it's where most of the peaks we like to hike are based; and it just seems to make things easier to coordinate.

Just my two cents!

peakbagger said:
Some general observations from attending gatherings over the years is that the following is neccessary
peakbagger - a veteran gatherer has much knowledge!! Who knows where this place is???

Along the thought of making the 10th Gathering of NE hikers special -- the only thing I have come up with is having many of us make an assult of the top of the NE - Mt. Washington!! There are so many trail options that group sizes could be managed. Those who have torn muscles, broken legs or bounced off trees could drive up if they had to. Maybe tie it in with everyone on the trek pay $10 as a donation to Brain Tumor Society.

bubba said:
peakbagger - a veteran gatherer has much knowledge!! Who knows where this place is???

Along the thought of making the 10th Gathering of NE hikers special -- the only thing I have come up with is having many of us make an assult of the top of the NE - Mt. Washington!!...Those who have torn muscles, broken legs or bounced off trees could drive up...
I'll drive :rolleyes: . We could also offer rides to any who would prefer to return by auto transport. I wonder if we could work on a way to get a few sites on CMR reserved for a large group... Anyone know who we should start talking to if we wanted to hold it at Cherry Mountain Road? Not a perfect location, but very central.

Anyone own a field in NH near many 4K (and other) peaks, a huge covered deck, and ample electricity? Shizzy's truck is getting too small to handle all of us :D

I'm wondering if we can hook up with any ski club lodge?? Or a conservation club that has a building and land around it. I've got some connections, anyone else??

Maybe we could rent out Wildcat for the weekend???

Another thought is to find a place like the Ark Motel in the ADK - where we rent the entire place!! If cool, a place would let us camp on the grounds and fire up the band...

Count me among those, perhaps a small minority, who would prefer these events be more like hikers' gatherings than frat parties. :(

Anyone wants to sit down and discuss this over tequila shooters, I'm game. :)

Brent - G9.99 would typically be the second or third weekend of September. The "where" is what is now being discussed. The last recommendation for a place was NH area (see above)... particilarly if we were to do something "special" as recently suggested -- a massive convergence on the top of Washington from different routes.

The idea of setting out for CDN Rockies would have placed an outing in a different timeframe, but typically a fall outing is planned (around Darren's birthday... possibly purposefully).

I am somewhat of a veteran of gatherings, although I have attended fewer than others and not as long as some, so I don't know what all that means other than I have an opinion.

I COMPLETELY agree that we should hold Gathering 10.000001 :p in the Canadian Rockies in Darren's honor. The man more than deserves it for all that he has done for the NE hiking community. I know I've always wanted to go, and I would make the trek hands down. (Not that that is really any big draw as I rarely post. :eek: )

As for Gathering 9.99999--Mt. Washington has a certain appeal for sure and it would be easy to organize (Sherpa's CMR idea would be perfect). Personally I love the idea of Katahdin, but it would be a logistical nightmare and impossible to plan.

Stan and I talked briefly about trying ot organize a Maine one near either Moosehead or Baxter. I'm fully committed to making it happen.

Logistics could be challenging for sure, but between my scotch and Stan's tequila, I'm sure we can git 'er done.

Spencer

Reactions: arm
I'm with Spencer for Baxter Park. It's a long haul but there's nothing comparable to the Knife Edge in the Northeast, there are six peaks on the 100 Highest list, there are remote ponds with canoes available and prospects of moose, loons and other wildlife sightings are pretty high.

Note that weather can get mean even in September. There is no electricity so the musicians would perform unplugged. The park is remote, heavily regulated and travel within the park is very slow. The coordination is especially important.

I'd agree with the base camps that Spencer suggests but there are also cabins at Kidney and Daicey Ponds as well as, at least at Kidney Pond, a "library" suitable for gatherings our size. During the summer they have frequent "campfire" talks at this library ... I had the good fortune to meet the late photographer Bill Silliker there who described his experiences with moose ... perhaps on one night we could arrange such a speaker.

Reservations in September should be possible and under the rolling system, can be made no sooner than May (4 months in advance of the first night reserved). I expect, perhaps, that with Spencer's connections, we could arrange something quite suitable.

As much as I love Baxter, I think it's fairer to find a more middlin' ground for 9.99999 for the sake of our western NY friends. According to my road atlas, Bubba's drive would be around 750 miles! :eek:

Of course, there's no law that says we can't have a Gathering wherever and whenever we feel like it...

You wouldn't have to stay in Baxter...there are certainly campgrounds outside the park that might work. Who knows...maybe it would be timed just right for my finish...that would be cool. Of course, NH would be a little easier for more people to get to.

52 and counting....