Wacky Peakbagging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
I am not at all a peakbagger. I suppose a "trailbagger" might be a bit more accurate. I have a DeLorme map on my wall with all of the trails that I have walked traced with a fine point sharpie, and just so that I can come home and darken another, I spend time (usually at Redbones or something) seeking out trails and peaks that I have not hiked.

This past weekend (sorry I missed the paaaatay), I was hiking the Cedar Brook Trail with a friend and we were talking about the peakbagging thing, and I suggested that maybe the both of us should plan to do all of the 4000 footers in the summer with snowshoes on. We went on and on with ideas...laughing our asses off. I mean, can you see some guy hiking the last section of the Caps Ridge Trail, in July, with snowshoes? That's some good shi&*$%t. Better yet, have it be Six Husbands.

So I am wondering if anyone here has some good stuff to share related to the "goal-seeking hiking and mountaineering" topic? Does anyone really accomplish the wacky when it comes to peakbagging?

Come on, top the "4000 Summer Snowshoe Challenge."

Last edited:
Reactions: dug
How about the ADK 46 or Catskill 3500 mountain bike challenge (if you live to tell about it).

Somebody was climbing the Adirondack High Peaks barefoot a few years ago. I never heard how it ultimately worked out.

Alain Chevrette climbed the 46 over 46 consecutive full moons.

I suppose you remember the guy who hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2000 carrying a tuba the entire way.

There are eight million stories in the naked woods.

I've got a friend who is expecting a baby in March. I'm trying to talk her into being the first pregnant woman to hike all the winter 48's in one season, but so far she's not going for it.

Baby?

So, would the baby then be the first child to hike, or at least be part of the hike up the 48 without actually being born yet? Now that is cool! Not all of the ideas have to be super funny, like the snowshoe is the summer, but thinking up something special makes it more worth the while (to me anyway). Bummer it is too late for me. I am about through with the list, winter/summer, whatever, I never kept track of when I did the mountain, although I have photos of most of the peaks archived.

I wonder, has anyone ever hiked all of the trails in The White Mountain National Forest that are recognized by the AMC?

Hmm... one could always plan with their hiking significant other to complete the "48 Climaxes of NH" list :D

...although not to be attempted during the winter - shrinkage!!

miehoff said:
I wonder, has anyone ever hiked all of the trails in The White Mountain National Forest that are recognized by the AMC?

That is called "Redlining" and it has been done. What color is your sharpie? If it is not red you will have to start all over again... :p

- darren

miehoff said:

That has been done by a few...maybe Steve Smith, Gene Danielle - not sure, but I know it has been done...I am just trying to do a section at a time...so many trails - so little time...

I am blue lining....the trails are red on the map, so redlining does not work so well! :D

Never seen anyone wearing snowshoes in the summer, but I did meet a guy w/ an ice axe on Iroquois last month. It was an old homemade, wooden shafted job and it had "Karma on Kili" carved into the shaft. He said he summited Killimanjaro w/ it and now considers it his good luck mojo. Said he takes it everywhere in all seasons. The axe also had a bottle opener on it!

Matt

If you walk them all going backwards can you take yourself off the list (like rolling back the odometer?)

My goal is to climb every named peak in the Adirondacks. Never did count how many there are, 600+ different peaks to date. I do them one quad at a time. 11 done, numerous to go. Many close to being done. Kind of crazy, No??

All I can say, there will be one hell of a party when I get there. EVERYONE IS INVITED.

For some random reason that I cannot explain why, my "trailbagging" colors are as follows:

-Black (myself)
-Red (my now deceased Black Lab)
-Green (my current Redbone Coonhound)

Yes, it would have made more sense to use black for the black lab, red for the redbone, but I started this way and I don't feel like changing it.

What IS depressing is the amount of hikes that I completed where I didn't hit that .2 between two trails, and are 4-5 miles from the road. Now, I have to do it all over again if I expect to finish. Which is why I know I won't, but it does provide many trip ideas that I try to work in when possible....

dug said:
What IS depressing is the amount of hikes that I completed where I didn't hit that .2 between two trails, and are 4-5 miles from the road.

Ah, the dilemma of redlining. Our maps look the same way. We didn't initial start out with a plan to redline (if you can call it a plan), so there are all these little tidbits here and there. Then again, it's another excuse to get out. :D

What about a Peak & Pint list? Hike a peak and eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's (I highly recommend their "Black & Tan"...so, delicious!). The trick is that you need to get to the summit before the pint turns to mush in your pack. SO, the hike can't be too long, but long enough to fire up a big hunger. A harder but easier list in winter.

Raymond said:
The fellow who made the AMC maps finished redlining last year, I believe. Isn't his name Larry Garland (my maps are at home, so I can't check)?

I'm pinklining, myself, and this thread reminds me I have some catching up to do.

Larry Garland finished a few years ago. He is also the Catographer for the White Mountain Guide.

I read once of an individual who claimed to have urinated on the summit of each of the 48, and another individual who kissed a girl (it may have been a different girl for each) at each of the summits. I seem to remember getting these stories form one of the Waterman books.

skiguy said:
Larry Garland finished a few years ago. He is also the Catographer for the White Mountain Guide.
As I read it, Larry Garland claimed to have hiked all the trails shown on AMC maps. I'm still not sure how he hiked those (at least 2) that didn't actually exist on the ground. And there are plenty of trails in the book which are off the edge of the maps. I understand next year's WMG will have all-new maps so here's a chance for somebody :)

One of the previous WMG editors hiked all or nearly all of the trails in the book with a measuring wheel.

I once asked the FS for a list of all the official trails in the WMNF figuring they must have such for the Forest Plan but what I got was pure BS. Hence I'm not sure how you could know you had hiked all the official trails.

RoySwkr said:
As I read it, Larry Garland claimed to have hiked all the trails shown on AMC maps. I'm still not sure how he hiked those (at least 2) that didn't actually exist on the ground. And there are plenty of trails in the book which are off the edge of the maps. I understand next year's WMG will have all-new maps so here's a chance for somebody :)

One of the previous WMG editors hiked all or nearly all of the trails in the book with a measuring wheel.

I once asked the FS for a list of all the official trails in the WMNF figuring they must have such for the Forest Plan but what I got was pure BS. Hence I'm not sure how you could know you had hiked all the official trails.

Personally, I decided to find a map that encompassed the entire region and stuck with it. The best I could find was DeLorme's. Not an especially accurate or good map, but it served my purpose for this. Since there is no patch, award dinner, etc. I say decide on a map and do it.

For example, Lost Pass shows as a trail on Delorne's but is no longer active. Eventually, I plan to try to ski that route some winter. I'm sure there are lots of other examples, but that one always sticks out to me.

professor said:
I read once of an individual who claimed to have urinated on the summit of each of the 48, and another individual who kissed a girl (it may have been a different girl for each) at each of the summits. I seem to remember getting these stories form one of the Waterman books.

48 different girls/women - that would be quite an accomplishment! :D

cbcbd said:
Hmm... one could always plan with their hiking significant other to complete the "48 Climaxes of NH" list :D

...although not to be attempted during the winter - shrinkage!!

yikes!!

it wouldn't shock me if this has been done