want to hike near conway NH apr 13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjolady

Reaction score
i will be in conway NH fri apr 13 and sat apr 14 and would love to meet up with someone to hike or xc ski or snowshoe depending on conditions. i am slow, strong and steady. suggestions on where to go at this time of year are welcome! i like views but might be unrealistic to expect to do a 4000footer in this weather. also crampons vs stabilicers??
thanks
susan
[email protected]

Susan,

You might try Kearsarge North. Very close to town, really wide open view, nice summit warming fire tower, and pretty easy trail.

Stabilicers should be adequate.

Another choice is North and Middle Moat, from Dianna's Baths.

cb

thanks so much! i hear there is lots of snow there now and more to come. i called a couple of xc places and it seems they are closed. i don't care about groomed trails but just some nice snowy woods or fields to ski on would be fine if i don't get to climb a mountain. i'll be in conway so hopefully will find something fun to do outdoors whatever the weather. i'll be with a bunch of fairly sedentary musicians so none of them (incl my husband) will go mountain hiking with me--they might drive up mt washington in a car :confused:
so i would love some company-i hike alone here all the time but have been advised NOT to do so in the white mts in winter conditions....

Susan-

My friend Sue & I are leaving Plymouth, MA Fri morn for Bartlett. In our 2 fall trips we did Black Cap, Hedgehog, Glen Ellis Falls, and Willard.

I'm new to April in the Whites - may like to join you Saturday. I have Greeley Ponds & Black Mtn on my to-do list as well. We both have Stabilicers and snowshoes.

Peter

una_dogger said:
If you just want to ski you could check out the Wilderness Trail over at Lincoln Woods. You won't be alone!

Good recommendation though the tracks are apt to be messed up by foot traffic etc. A side trip from this trail is Black Pond and in years past, xc ski tracks were the only ones going in there. Nice sunny boulder on the north end of the pond for lunch. I'd suggest skirting the edge of the pond ... no telling the condition of the ice below.

Another possibility for xc is Mountain Pond, part forest road and part trail. Likely both broken by snowmobile traffic. I wouldn't follow the skimobile tracks across the pond here, it is interesting scenery to skirt the edge of the pond.

As Chris says, Kearsage North is a good choice with terrific views but bring snowshoes. It is about 6 miles r.t.

The Moats? Well, I have a long wish to do an end to end here and that requires a car spot and preferably better conditions and weather than is forecast for later this week so, to me, North and Middle Moat would leave a certain feeling of unfulfillment.

One hike we once enjoyed in snow, low visibility and generably unfavorable conditions was Crawford. Every once in a while there was a break in the precipitation, enough to see that you're in the middle of nowhere which was our objective that day, hike to the middle of nowhere. As a therapist and musician, I suspect you can appreciate both the therapeutic as well as the inspirational value of such a destination.

Potash and Hedgehog are two fairly easy classic snowshoe hikes convenient to Conway.

A realistic 4K opportunity might be Wildcat D, up the Polecat ski trail. You might even be able to talk someone in your party into taking the lift up.

Not quite 'purist hiking', but management is pretty gracious in allowing hikers to stay to the left side up the beginner rated trails. The extra people make it a very safe solo trip, and the trails have excellent views towards the Presidential Range.

From the summit building, it's a quick little hill to the summit and platform. The walk from there is around 2/10ths of a mile and less than 75-100 feet up - but far enough from the ski area to have a chance of savoring the views alone.

If you decide to try this, bring snowshoes, sunscreen, and a smile for all the skiers who tell you, "You're going the wrong way."

I would guess that the driving time from Conway would be about 30-40 minutes.

Last edited:
When doing North Moat only if it is combined with the Red Eagle Ridge Trail, it makes for a worthy hike. Red Eagle Ridge is an exposed ridge which affords nice views.

just returned from 4 days in the white mts. we were up in the albany/conway area. did XC skiing and snowshoeing--no peak bagging this trip. we had one gorgeous day. had to divide my time between music and outdoor stuff. met some nice VFTT folks too--Peter and Sue and Moose from SE Mass.
on thurs i did a snowshoe on boulder loop trail--was the only one out during the very intense snowfall. it was gorgeous.
fri went xc skiing at bear notch and then did short snowshoeing to diana's baths with Peter and the crew. skiing was fun, snow a bit mushy but i loved the groomed trails--my first such experience.
Sat dragged husband mike out to bear notch again for xc skiing. he got tired and i brought him back around 2pm, then went out for another boulder loop journey as that was the closest place to our lodgings. climbed almost to the top on snowshoes but had to run back-saw a real nice view.
had a wonderful time, kept expectations low as the conditions were very adverse to anything really exciting.
thanks to all for your helpful suggestions! susan