'Whack, Slide, 'Whack, 'Whack - Owl's Head, 12/17/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
December 17, 2011: Owl’s Head

Trails: Wilderness Trail, Black Pond Trail, Black Pond Bushwhack, Lincoln Brook Trail, Brutus Bushwhack, Owl’s Head Herd Path

Summits: Owl’s Head

Hikers: MadRiver (aka Rick), Hikerhmh (aka Heather) & Kali, JacobH, Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

With Isolation and Owl’s Head still on the list, we had a couple good choices for Saturday entertainment. Owl’s Head became the target and we posted the hike for others to join; Rick (aka MadRiver), Heather & Kali and Jacob were our hiking partners for the day. Rick had other commitments later in the day and wasn’t able to stay with us for the full hike. As always, it was fun to hike with Rick while he was there.

We met at Lincoln Woods for a not-too-early start, went through the usual introductions, pre-hike prep, and took off. There was a light dusting of fresh snow on the Wilderness Trail. We walked the early stretch to Black Pond Trail at a relatively brisk pace getting warmed up for the day. There are places where ice patches were hiding underneath the fresh snow and they were very slick. It wasn’t enough for traction but care was needed. As usual, we reached the junction with Black Pond Trail in very good time, stopped for a quick break, and headed for Black Pond.

The snow on Black Pond Trail was untouched by human feet; in fact I don’t recall any tracks at all. The mud pits along Black Pond Trail were all easy to get past. Soon we were at the end of Black Pond getting the usual picture of Owl’s Head over the pond. A few yards ahead the trail ended and the first bushwhack for the day started.

Sue and I had talked about the bushwhack route and both of us were interested in avoiding the final section to Lincoln Brook Trail that is also pretty wet and muddy. The snow cover would make the real bad areas tough to see and our return hike might be a little unpleasant. On this hike, our approach was a compass bearing of 345 degrees.

As usual, we started by climbing the slope to the west of Black Pond in order to get above the muddy area near the pond. Once we were out of the muddy area we set off with a bearing of 345 degrees (magnetic). Soon, we were out of the conifers that surround the pond and hiking through beautiful hardwoods. On our target bearing we gradually gained elevation. Roughly a third of the way through the bushwhack, Sue pulled around and took the lead. For the remaining hike to Lincoln Brook Trail Sue was out front and I was in the back with Rick. A couple times I pulled out my compass to check the bearing but no corrections were needed; Sue did an outstanding job getting us to Lincoln Brook Trail.

We hit Lincoln Brook Trail to find more untouched snow cover. We were the first ones to head out this way since the snow. This was Rick’s turn-around point; he needed to take care of other things. We all said goodbye, Rick headed back on the bushwhack route to Black Pond and the rest of us continued to Owl’s Head.

The hike to the base of Owl’s Head Slide was the usual; mild terrain, wet, muddy, and stream crossings. We managed to get through all of it without any problems. The larger stream crossings were even relatively easy; watch the exposed rocks for a glazing of ice. At the base of the slide we had a quick stop for refreshment before starting the climb. Also, this was the point where our MicroSpikes came out. It seemed they would be easier to take care of while on the trail than at some point in climbing the slide.

The early part leading to the slide was relatively ice-free. Eventually, we started into the areas where there is always water flowing and the ice started to become significant. A short time later the left shoulder strap on my pack broke. Fortunately, Sue had some P-Cord and duct tape in her bag of tricks and I was able to tie things back together and continue. I’m sure hiking with a one-shoulder-strap-pack would have been very annoying; thanks Sue.

The remaining climb of the slide was interesting. There is enough water on the slide to create an icing condition that had us pushing MicroSpikes close to their limit – perhaps beyond in a couple cases. We all did a little slipping along the way but reached the top of the slide with no real problems along the way, and perhaps a couple nice memories. Above the slide was more of the same – with handholds. The trail all of the way to the usual exit for the Brutus Bushwhack is wet and we needed to work through some pretty icy conditions along the way. Our MicroSpikes did the job. Kali had no trouble at all with the climb – four-wheel drive really helps.

Above the big rock the trail gets a lot drier with better footing. There were only a few hundred feet in elevation left to climb, no icing condition to worry about, and just a few blowdowns to get past. Soon we were hiking along the ridge headed to the “old” summit. We hit that “high point” and continued to the “new” summit. The upper elevations had two – three inches of fresh dry powder. Hiking the herd path on Owl’s Head is a lot easier when there are no other tracks from side excursions to cause confusion. Soon we were on the second summit getting pictures; Kali had some food and water, and the cold conditions started to attack. We made the u-turn and started out.

I think one decision we all probably made on the climb was to avoid the slide on our exit. This means the Brutus Bushwhack was our way down. We reached the big rock and headed off trail for a while. Initially, our heading was generally south simply contouring below the large blowdown field that is on the upper slope of Owl’s Head. Eventually, the terrain pitches down. At this time of year the view from this area on Owl’s Head to Mount Flume is usually clear and I simply use it as a target. On this hike Franconia Ridge was clouded in and I needed to check my compass. I pulled out my compass and realized we could take a more downhill course but could see the more gradual descent was loaded with open corridors through the conifers. I decided to take the milder exit and gave up elevation a little slower than usual. Eventually, we made a stop to re-group and I noticed the birch population had significantly increased in the conifers; we had not yet reached the birch glade but I was sure it was close. In probably less than a hundred yards we were standing at the top of the old skidder road in the birch glade. We were much higher than usual but it was a very nice way out.

We made the turn and followed the course of the old skidder road as it contoured back around the slope toward Lincoln Brook Trail. I continued a little further on the skidder road than necessary before heading down to Lincoln Brook Trail. We left the skidder road and headed straight down. Soon we were standing on Lincoln Brook Trail roughly a hundred yards north of the upper stream crossing (~175 paces – I’ve got short legs).

Back at the base of Owl’s Head we were treated to warmer conditions. There was another quick stop at the upper crossing before we took off down Lincoln Brook Trail to the Black Pond Bushwhack. The tracks on the trail seemed to indicate we were the only ones that hiked Owl’s Head on Saturday; the tracks appeared to be three human and one canine. In roughly two miles we were standing at the end of our earlier route from Black Pond. The Lincoln Brook Trail beyond was as we found it earlier in the day; track-free. We were the only ones that came through.

We made the turn and started the short climb away from Lincoln Brook Trail. As we hiked south to Black Pond each of us took a turn up front. It was pretty easy for most of it since all we needed to do was follow the tracks we left earlier in the day. The final ~.2 was a little less obvious with less snow cover and some areas that were completely clear of snow. We needed to look closely for the disturbed ground cover. The alternate would be to pull out the compass. On a couple occasions we lost track of our track but were able to relocate it, usually resulting in a lead change. The final time had us looking around on mostly clear ground. We were a short distance away from Black pond at that point and simply headed to the end of Black Pond Trail.

Back on trail, the final cruise to the Wilderness Trail and on to Lincoln Woods was little more than a four-and-a-half-mile cool-down period. Roughly half-way from Black Pond to Wilderness Trail we pulled out the headlights.

At Lincoln Woods none of us wasted any time in packing. Thanks to Heather & Kali, and Jacob for joining the hike to Owl’s Head. Hopefully we’re sharing another hike soon. With a little luck, next time we’re able to share a hike with Rick we’ll enjoy the full day together. Thanks for joining the fun for as long as you could Rick – it’s always good to see you.

Thanks Sue. I’ve heard some people try to avoid hiking Owl’s Head and only go there because it’s on a list, and others claim once-per-year is enough. This was our fourth time this year, and I’d say our last. It was a nice way to finish a year of Owl’s Head.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:D

Last edited:
Thanks for having me along for a great trip! I'm still feeling it a little today :D I thought the conditions were nice. Flurries for almost the entire walk in left us with a fresh coating of fluff on everything. It was very beautiful. Being able to enjoy the day with great company was icing on the cake.

Now that I've been there, I agree that the trek to Owls Head is definitely a worthy one. I might be a little biased here because I love slides, and enjoyed this one a lot. The long-distance views are a bit lacking, but the more close-up ones and the surrounding atmosphere and forest more than pleasant enough to make up for it.

Sorry for slowing everyone down coming back up the BP bushwhack after I bashed my knee on a log. Once the endorphins kicked in I felt OK and was able to pick up the pace again for the last 4 or so miles. Thanks again Earl, Sue, Heather, Kali and Rick!

I was able to follow the whack back to the pond without too much trouble, though I did lose the trail once or twice when the snow cover disappeared.

Thanks for having me along for a great trip! I'm still feeling it a little today :D I thought the conditions were nice. Flurries for almost the entire walk in left us with a fresh coating of fluff on everything. It was very beautiful. Being able to enjoy the day with great company was icing on the cake.

Now that I've been there, I agree that the trek to Owls Head is definitely a worthy one. I might be a little biased here because I love slides, and enjoyed this one a lot. The long-distance views are a bit lacking, but the more close-up ones and the surrounding atmosphere and forest more than pleasant enough to make up for it.

Sorry for slowing everyone down coming back up the BP bushwhack after I bashed my knee on a log. Once the endorphins kicked in I felt OK and was able to pick up the pace again for the last 4 or so miles. Thanks again Earl, Sue, Heather, Kali and Rick!
Hey Jacob,

Owl's Head is one of my favorites. Really glad you joined the fun. Hopefully we'll hike together again soon.

I didn't know you were holding us up. The pace seemed pretty good all day. At the end I had my hands full staying close but that's normal.

:rolleyes:

I was able to follow the whack back to the pond without too much trouble, though I did lose the trail once or twice when the snow cover disappeared.

Glad you made it out okay, Rick. I was keeping an eye out for you on the reverse Black Pond Bushwhack in case you decided to spend the day wandering the area.

;)

Rick

Same thing happened to us on the way back. Once the snow got less and it was all leaves it was real hard to follow the "trail" we made on the way in. That and it was starting toward sun down so, it got real nuts.

Great to meet you!
Heather & Kali

Rick

Same thing happened to us on the way back. Once the snow got less and it was all leaves it was real hard to follow the "trail" we made on the way in. That and it was starting toward sun down so, it got real nuts.

Great to meet you!
Heather & Kali
We hadn't reached "nuts" yet, not even close. In fact, the last couple hundred yards before we ran into bare ground we could see the pond through the trees. In other words, our target was visible. I was interested in staying high and out of the mud - and our route going in was really nice and dry and clean. If we simply headed straight to the pond we would have most likely found a big muddy mess.

;)

awesome! jacobh, that's a great checkmark for you and in december, too :)
Thanks, una_dogger.

That wasn't only December, but one of the shortest days in December (I know, they're all short). We actually finished about an hour sooner than I expected.

Congratulations from me as well to JacobH for taking this one off your list.

:)

awesome! jacobh, that's a great checkmark for you and in december, too :)

Congratulations from me as well to JacobH for taking this one off your list.

:)

Thanks guys! At this rate, though, I'll probably be finishing multiple rounds at the same time. ;)

Congrats to you all too. You're much farther into some much larger lists. :D

Thanks guys! At this rate, though, I'll probably be finishing multiple rounds at the same time. ;)

Congrats to you all too. You're much farther into some much larger lists. :D

Its not the size of your list or how far along you are JacobH, Its about the company and the journey and sounds like you had good dose of both!

Earl sorry I couldnt make it looks like a lot of fun and I am looking forward to getting out with you and sue again soon.