What happens next?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabe46r

Reaction score
:confused:

I sent in my reports for completing the 46 peaks about a couple of months ago. I haven't heard anything from my sponsor yet. What's supposed to happen now? Do they send in some forms and stuff that I need to return?

Thanks.

Every once in a while the 46ers select an applicant and put him or her through the ringer. Looks like your ''it''. Before getting your patch you will have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you indeed climbed all the peaks. Beware, they can be quite harsh and humourless. I recommend you spend hours studying maps, memorizing facts and various historical info.

Oh, and one last point:
I'm just kidding. :)

Wannabe, I posted your query over at the 46 listserv. I recall there was a short lag when I got my notice, but I kept in touch with my correspondent (I sent in my reports one off rather than at the end).
I will let you when I get a response.

Correspondence work on a volunteer basis. We do not get paid for our services. But many of these people have steady jobs, other obligations to perform and some have many letters to answer. Possibly it got lost somewhere in the shuffles. My suggestion would be to rewrite your letter and resend it in.

In my case I am currently unemployed and answer my Correspondence Letters within a couple of days of receiving it. It all depends I'm sure on who you have.

Also we would need your real name besides wannabe in order to look it up to see if your letter was even received.

Last edited:
I just went through the process Wannabe. We (there were 4 of us) had to push to make get our stuff in under what our impression was a "losely defined" annual deadline for the year. We sent our final letters (and final survey) on about Oct 1 or so. If I recall, we got Prelim congrats letters within about 3 weeks and our final "Congrats, You will assigned your number early next year" letter from Tony Solomon in early November I guess.

You might want to contact him (or your corrospondant), perhaps you did not make this years deadline (if there is one)? This is pure speculation on my part, but if that is the case, I'm sure the priority right now goes to completing this year's "inductee" files, and next years "group" can wait a bit. Depends on when you got your stuff in. I know we struggled to get everything in (including the final written survey) by Oct 1. If you ever look at the yearly "inductees" there are always a few stragglers from the year before, that for whatever reason, did not complete the process before the annual deadline.

I've NO idea, if this is your issue or not, but just putting it out there. I initially thought to be included in the following years "class", the deadline for completion was Dec 31. And somewhere along the line got the impression it was different. :D

Last edited:
We got ours in in time, and received the same letters that Mavs00 did. I seem to recall someone saying that numbers would be issued in February(?). In any case, we haven't heard from our correspondent since we finished either, but I know they're pretty busy.

deadline?

Procrastinator that I am, I just sent in my own 46-R report (June 10th). I wasn't informed of a cut-off date, nor did I read of it anywhere on the 46-R website. If I missed some 2004 deadline and can't get a number for 2004, I'll be quite disappointed and upset. In the absence of any published date in which to file by, I figured that it worked on a calendar year basis to allow all climbers who finished this year to be included. I hope that it does indeed work that way.

NOTE: I checked the 46-R website and found listings for new members who finished as late as Dec. 23, 2003. I think a classic "NEVER MIND..." is in order here. I'll be patient. I'm sure that the correspondents will reply as soon as they can.

Ravi: I hope to hike again with you sometime. Are you ready to do some WINTER climbing?!

Last edited:
Deadline is 1-31-05

Bob,

Thanks to Rick, I found out that the actual deadline is Jan 31, 05. So, you are still not late, you should be able to make it.

Thanks for the offer to do some winter hiking, I do that every day here in Rochester. :) No thanks, I will wait for spring.

~ Ravi.

I stand corrected.

You're right ALG, there are late year finishers, However, if you look closer at the -46er roster- , there are a few telling things;

For the class of 2002 (from #4935-#5155) - 5.4% finished in either Nov-Dec of 2002, while 12.7% of the finishers finished PRIOR to January 1, 2002.

Same thing for 2003 (from #5156-#5327) - 2.3% finished in either Nov-Dec of 2003, while 14.6% of the finishers finished PRIOR to January 1, 2003.

Seems each class is "front heavy" meaning there's alot more early/past year finishers than late year finishers. I'd say that the later you finish in the year (like Nov-Dec), or the later your paperwork get's filed, the more likely you are gonna get "rolled" into the next years class, unless you promptly get your stuff in and don't "wait" to long. I wouldn't wait much longer :)

See you at next year's dinner ;)

As for the deadline, I would think that would have to refer to FILING for membership, NOT completion of the 46. I see no Jan, 03 finishers in the "02 class" nor are there Jan 04 finishers in the "03" class

Last edited:
New name?

"wannabe": Maybe you should update your VFTT name to reflect your accomplishment! You'll lose your 21+ posts, but you can make that up easily...
How about 46Dude, DidThat46, or I'mA46-R?

wannabe46r said:
What's supposed to happen now?
you start a new list: ADK firetower challenge, winter 46, catskill 35, hew hampshire 48, new england 67, northeast 115 (you already have 46 of the 115) - - - - - try sending the stuff in again if it has been a few months - maybe it got lost in the mail (it won't be the first time) - the 46er applicants are usually answered in about 2-4 weeks.

Wannabe,
It's me that you're waiting on. But just to let you know, the stamp on the letter reads NOV 20, not 2 months ago. That is the day the office processed it and sent it on to me. I dunno if it was delayed in the mail beforehand.

My mistake

Yes, Nov 20 sounds about right. It does feel longer than that and of course, I did not check my records before I posted. My mistake, sorry.

I will be chaging my user name to adk46r (can't believe that was available). :) The NE 115 sounds like a good next target.

Regards,
Ravi.

Last edited:
New id

Changed username from wannabe to adk46r. Is there any way I can delete my old account myself? Or maybe I should just let it be......

wannabe46r said:
I will be chaging my user name to adk46r (can't believe that was available). :) The NE 115 sounds like a good next target.
how about wannabe115er?