What I Liked About My Hike to North & South Kinsman (05-Mar-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Most readers on this Forum have been to North & South Kinsman and we've all experienced the same views and taken the same trails to these peaks. However, each person comes away with unique perspectives and personal favorites about this hike. This trip report merely describes those things that I enjoyed on this particular hike to these two peaks.

First of all, it was a real treat to hike with two of my buddies, Steve and Marty (aka Zman). There they are on the ledge just below the summit of North Kinsman as they prepare to have lunch and soak in some sun & views.

P1040176.JPG

One of the many aspects of this hike that I found particularly eye-pleasing is something that's unique to winter hiking. There was a really masterful work of art that "Mother Nature" had created by sculpting the snow into a twisty pattern seen in the photo below. It sort of resembled similar works she has created with beach sand!

P1040206.JPG

And during the winter months, the hike itself is a real "hoot" for me. What's not to like about walking through a snow-covered forest?

P1040157.JPG

Another one of my favorite things about this hike is gazing straight down at Kinsman Pond from the edge of the sheer drop-off on the east side of North Kinsman. I've seen this view of the pond in different seasons of the year, and each time it's still a thrill. But, as you know, you really need to be there in person to gain the perspective that's needed to appreciate the view in the photo below.

P1040173.JPG

Although I like peering straight down at Kinsman Pond from the cliffs of North Kinsman, I really, really like the view of this pond that you get when hiking between the two Kinsmans. I have better photos of this view that I've taken on other occasions, but here is what I saw on this trip.

P1040183.JPG

And then, there are the sweeping vistas that you get on this hike which I think are just awesome! I love those viewpoints along the way where at one fell swoop you can see Cannon, plus all the high peaks on the Franconia Range from Lafayette to Flume.

P1040170.JPG

I also love the unique view from South Kinsman where the top of Bondcliff is seen over the ridge leading up to Liberty, and where Mts. Liberty, Flume and Carrigain appear to be tightly bunched together from this particular viewing angle!

P1040193.JPG

Besides the sweeping vistas, it's also enjoyable to see things that are closer at hand, like Harrington Pond and Bog Pond. I've never been to either of these places, and so it's great to at least get a bird's eye view of both of these ponds from the summit area of South Kinsman.

P1040201.JPG

Upon approaching Lonesome Lake near the end of the day, the performance of the "Alpenglow Light Show" was just coming to an end. I managed to witness just a few seconds of the "show" before it closed for the evening. The snapshot below isn't one of the better examples of the alpenglow phenomenon, but sometimes you take what you can get!

P1040211.JPG

So, those were a few of my favorite things on my hike to North & South Kinsman. I'm certain that others who've have hiked this same hike, have their own unique set of personal favorites.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
I love your fav things too:Woolland magic, sweeping vistas, alpenglow and mother natures everchanging landscape. Thanks for the great report.

Besides the sweeping vistas, it's also enjoyable to see things that are closer at hand, like Harrington Pond and Bog Pond. I've never been to either of these places, and so it's great to at least get a bird's eye view of both of these ponds from the summit area of South Kinsman.
Nothing much to see at Bog Pond, but Harrington Pond is another story. The section of the AT from Eliza Brook Shelter to Harrington Pond (and on to South Kinsman), following Eliza Brook much of the way, is a wonderful hike. Best way to do it is a car spot; in by Reel Brook, on to Eliza Brook Shelter, up to Harrington Pond and over the Kinsmans, exiting by Mt. Kinsman trail.

Great pics, as always!

Tim: Yeah, sometimes I become a "wild & crazy guy". Next thing you know, I'll be walking around with a fake arrow through my head!:D

Karen: There's probably quite a few of us out there who enjoy many of these same things. And for those who don't, it's unclear to me what motivates them to be out there in the woods with the rest of us?!:confused:

Mohamed: Hmmm! For whatever reason, it hadn't occurred to me to do Harrington Pond by using a car-spot. I just ran some numbers for the south-to-north route that you suggested. I was surprised that the book-time is just under 9 hours. For some reason I thought it might be a longer time-frame considering that there is a 3,657 elevation gain and a 4,034 elevation loss (mega PUDs!).
Thanks for suggesting this! It's going on my list!

Last edited:
What, no plug for the Fishin' Jimmy Trail? It's one of my favorites for the enchanted forest you pass through, and contrary to the opinions of others on this board. :D

Wonderful pics.

What, no plug for the Fishin' Jimmy Trail? It's one of my favorites for the enchanted forest you pass through, and contrary to the opinions of others on this board. :D

Wonderful pics.
Ah! You are so right Audrey! It should have been mentioned in my report, but I'll take this opportunity to mention it now, i.e. the 3rd photo in my report was in fact taken from the Fishin' Jimmy Trail while passing through the "enchanted forest" that you mentioned.:)

That panorama from the edge of Lonesome lake of the Franconias is always such a wonderful and heartwarming one, even more so with that alpine glow.....mmmmmm gotta love it!
Brian
Hey Brian . . . when I reviewed my photos, that shot of the alpenglow effect was a pleasant surprise to me! I thought I'd missed the small window of opportunity.

On the return leg of the trip, I was "feeling my oats" and arrived at Lonesome Lake about 5 minutes before Steve & Marty. I could see the alpenglow quickly fading away. By the time I fumbled around getting to my camera, it was nearly gone. So, I did a quick series of "point & shoot" snapshots, and by the time I put the camera down, the alpenglow had all but vanished.

That alpenglow phenomenon is so brief. The time-stamp data for the two photos below shows a measly 2 minute difference. And what a difference there is between those 2 brief minutes!

P1040211.JPG
P1040214.JPG

I remember at the last Fool Scout Ball I just could not sleep at all. So I got out of my bunk around 3am, put on my down jacket and booties, grabbed my ipod and sat out on the side deck of Lonesome Lake hut. Just before sunrise, when the sun still had not poked above the Franconias, I was treated to some of the most stunning early morning pinks, purples and blues I had ever seen playing above he ridge (and mind you, I have seen A LOT of sunrises/sunsets as a hunter/fisherman/hiker.) The colorful light show lasted nothing more than a couple minutes, and no one else but me saw them that morning. A simply wonderful spot!

Brian

Last edited:
John,
Absolutely beautiful photos. There is nothing better than having the opportunity to experience these wonderful mountains in person.

Hmmm...so that's what Bog Pond looks like!:D

Donna:)

NewHampshire: Brian, thanks for the additional info confirming Lonesome Lake's ideal location for some very colorful (albeit brief!) sunrise & sunset photo ops!

Mohamed: Thanks for digging into the archives and providing a link to your Trip Report of a few years ago where you did North & South Kinsman via a somewhat unconventional route (IN: Reel Brook Trail/OUT: Mt Kinsman Trail). As you mentioned, this would be an ideal situation for a car-spot! And I suppose that during the summer months, one could also consider doing a bike-spot since NH 116 is fairly "bike-friendly".

Jimmy Legs and Little D: Hey Donna, it's probably not all that important, but I just want to make sure you're not misled. The photo I posted shows only a small piece of Bog Pond (whereas all of Harrington Pond is shown on the far right of the photo).

The photo on the LEFT is the one included in my original posting, and the one on the RIGHT shows Bog Pond in its entirety.

P1040201.JPG
P1040198.JPG

Very nice!

I had to go to N. Kinsman three times before I realized you could step off that lookout ledge and go down to a lower ledge to get a better view of Kinsman Pond.

Love the alpenglow photo.