What (if any) list are you working on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What list (if any) are you working on?

• NH 48 - all seasons

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • NE 67 - all seasons

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • ADK 46 - all seasons

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • NE 100 Highest - all seasons

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • NE 100 Highest - winter

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • NH 48 - winter

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • ADK 46 - winter

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • NE 67 - winter

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • ADK 100 Highest - (all seasons or winter)

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Northeast 3k (all seasons or winter)

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters
SherpaKroto said:
If I wait too long, I'll be up there again. Nine days and counting until my next BSP trip (with Spencer/GO, et al). This time, a 6 day ski traverse. Woohoo!
The knee is so much better with the brace (when I remember to wear it, right GO?)
Did I mention that I have a degree in kidnapping and impersonating people? :cool: Oh, by the way -- do you want to get together for a few drinks a day or so before you leave for BSP? Now, where is that smiley face with the devil horns on it?

:D

-Wu

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked, I just couldn't find an answer.

I am working on my all season 48 and I have done a few in winter. Can I use those again for my winter 48 list?
Thanks,
Bill (pucknuts61)

afka_bob said:
As far as I know, I'm the only one working on the NE 100 Highest Double Solstice H.O.O.F.

I'm going to regret this but I can't sleep at night until I know:
1) What is the "NE 100 Highest Double Solstice H.O.O.F." list?
2) Have I been an unwitting party to this in any way?
3) Is it related to ungoing efforts to expand the reach of New Jersey soverignty?
4) Or, heaven forbid, is related to http://tinyurl.com/5t74x ?

Well, Dave, for the enlightenment of this community, I’m glad you asked.

Let me answer your questions in order:

1) The NE 100 Highest Double Solstice H.O.O.F. is the little-known New England 100 Highest peaks climbed on either the Summer or Winter Solstice while Hopping On One Foot. With these restrictions, you can see why there have not yet been any patches issued: no one has yet finished the list.

Competition, though, is fierce to be the first, so you can probably understand why I am not revealing just how many of the 100 I have completed in this fashion (don’t want the others to know how close I am just yet). A hint, though: at this pace, I should finish sometime in the Winter of 2057, should I actually live (and hop) so long.

2) Yes, but I am not at liberty to say how just yet.

3) I've been informed by legal sovereignty experts that though I have flown the flag of New Jersey from many of New Englands Highest, my claims for New Jersey territorial sovereignty would probably take many years of court battle to be recognized.

4a) No. Any confusion probably stems from the NE 100 Highest “Floater” list where participants levitate under their own power up and (since 1998) down from each of the summits.

4b) As for the song, when have four so gifted artists -- Ralph, Charles, Paul, and Larry -- ever said so much in only 11 minutes and 49 seconds? To truly understand the depth and breadth of these musical geniuses -- geniuses -- (and you know I'm not one for hyperbole), just go to the link dave.m provided, and click "See more THE FLOATERS lyrics" at the bottom of the page.

As for the NE 100 Highest DS/HOOF, beyond the modest embroidered patch, and the fierce bond of comrades who know what it is to attempt and sometimes even do the near impossible, we seek no outside recognition.

Another list I am working on (and doing much better at) is "VFTTer on most other VFTTers' Ignore Lists." I should finish that one sometime this Spring.

Last edited:
Lists

Sure, everybody has their lists.....I find it hard to get stuck on one list or another. Like others have said here, I love to hike what I want whenever the mood strikes. I admit, there is nothing quite like being on a mountain top! Unfortunately, I highly dislike the ADK high peaks during the summer- especially on weekends. The erosion and litter alone could make you sick. For those certain times of the year when I feel forced away from the High Peaks, I love finding that relatively remote pond....seeking out waterfalls........seeing fall foliage from some of the lesser peaks......scouring the space inside the blue line for geological oddities. 100's.....46's....Prominence....winter...summer....etc..etc....now how about....just...."because it was there"! I think that about covers it!

This poll should allow multiple entries... I am currently working on these lists:

ADK46 - 26
W46 - 7
NE115 - 26A+3V+4NH =33
HIGHPOINTERS - NH, NY, MA (failed attempt CT, MD, WV)

-percious

Jasonst said:
Working on the NH 4k 4 seasons. Anyone else working on this? It doesn't seem to be that popular...
There's a guy a couple replies back who said he was, and there are 2 women who are members of this board (and 2 guys who are not) who have completed this list at least twice as part of the 12x48

I know there are a lot of Winter 48 completers and aspirants here, but how many calendar Summer completers? There are some people who live elsewhere and do all their NH hiking on a summer vacation, but when I looked carefully at dates many of my "summer" hikes were late spring or early fall. And I'll bet there are even fewer Spring and Fall completers. Another poll?

Most of my "uncompleted" lists saw no additional checkoffs last year so I can't be too serious about them. When I heard about the 52 With Views I thought it might be interesting but discovered I had Packardized it (climbed all peaks before seeing the list). Same with the YAlpine list.

Is "bluelining" a list?

I've been working on "bluelining" all the trails in NH for a very long time. I guess you could say I started when I was 14 when I soloed Washington and spent two nights at a Hermit lake lean-to. So unless there is a time limit I have been working on this "list" for 51 years. But not with any seriousness, until I first laced up my "Limmers" in the spring of 1981. All my "bluelines" are done with my "boots with eyes". Problem is that I seem to do my favs over and over again. The boots are on their fourth set of soles thanks to the guys in Intervale.

Bluelining? I often heard it termed "Redlining" but I guess it depends on the pen. ;)

I am quite into this as well with a variety of maps.

My wife and I are working on our US National Parks list. About half way done. The only requirement is to spend 2 nights in the BC where applicable.

Peace.

I'm going for:
--ADK 46 4 season
--ADK 100 Highest, any season. I wasn't going to set the 100 as a goal, but I have only 18 left to do, and last summer I really, really enjoyed doing 4 new peaks, 2 of which were navigational challenges.
--Winter NE 115, sort of. It's a list to work off, but the driving time and expense seems prohibitive. But I want to do a "respectable #" of these in Winter. Two more will put me half way.

Lists:

I don't like the bean counter mentality that can come with doing a list, but choosing a list is really setting a goal, and that helps motivate me to get out there more often.

Cols and passes

mavs00 is right: a col is a pass. And I guess it's also a Notch. Depends on the local usage. In my mind, whether it's a col or a pass depends on where you want to go. From the bottom of the ridge to a peak, or from one peak to the other, it's a col. From the bottom of the ridge to the other side of the ridge, it's a pass.

Lists! Lists! Lists! They are fun to work from. I just completed my Catskill 3500, am working on the Catskill 3500 winter, ADK 46ers, and STATE HIGH POINTS. What a great time that is. Chasing that list has brought me from a feed silo in Iowa, to a bump of a rock (812ft from sea level) in Rhode Island, to 14,433 ft Mt. Elbert in Colorado. I've done 11 so far and am hoping to do either Rainier or Whitney as my "big one" this year. The greatest challenge of the Highpoints list is definitely the logistics!

Guess I've started to work on the 48 list all seasons. This winter I'll try and knock out as many as I can. Uh-oh running out of time...! I've done a lot of the peaks already over the years, but I've decided to reset the clock nothing for me will count going back father than spring of 2004. I've realized the list will help me from hiking the same mountains again and again. I really don't care to place emphasis on completing any of the lists anytime soon, its just awesome to get out there and enjoy it especially with everyone at VFTT.
Maybe when I've done some of the list I'll start repeating them... lets see... 10 48s 100 100s.... :)