What (if any) list are you working on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What list (if any) are you working on?

• NH 48 - all seasons

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • NE 67 - all seasons

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • ADK 46 - all seasons

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • NE 100 Highest - all seasons

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • NE 100 Highest - winter

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • NH 48 - winter

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • ADK 46 - winter

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • NE 67 - winter

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • ADK 100 Highest - (all seasons or winter)

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Northeast 3k (all seasons or winter)

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters
Adk 46 and 46W. It's so addicting and so much fun. It's a game, really, that only fellow players can understand. I mean, what an absurd concept: ''needing'' a peak. I even hear that some folks experience a mild case of the blues when their list is complete. What a zany bunch we all are! Very physically fit, but zany.

More winter?

Spencer,

There is a definate increase in winter hiking. You see it in several ways. fifteen years ago, when winter hiking in the adirondacks, I would have to break trail more often than not. In the past few years, I've rarely had to break trail. In fact the only time has been late fall, when there are less hikers, because it doesn't 'count' for winter.

Other areas it can be seen, is in availability of gear. Shops are LOADED with winter gear, while 15 years ago, it was much harder to get. That indicates a market.

Now, for my lists? Dunno. I was working on the NE115, but found that I've got over 80% of my NH peaks in winter, so I may be looking at getting them done in winter. I'm doing trailwork most of the time in the summer, so I don't have time to hike recreationally then.

Last edited:
List

I am working on helping my 11 year old son get his ADK 46 while I am redoing some for myself. Some of them were so long ago, when I rehike them they are like new.

Working on the NH 4k 4 seasons. Anyone else working on this? It doesn't seem to be that popular...

As far as I know, I'm the only one working on the NE 100 Highest Double Solstice H.O.O.F.

i am slowly working on the ADK-NYS Firetowers. I was leisurely working on my Winter Catskill 3500, but, due to the passing of my mother, two weeks ago, I have forgone all winter hiking.

Moose
[email protected]

ADK 46 - all seasons. Six remaining for spring and seven for fall; winter and summer are done. I will eventually finish but not sure when. I'm in no hurry to climb Allen and Blake in the spring.

I've done the NH 48 and NE 67, so now I'm chipping away at the NE 100 highest. At the same time I'm hitting some of the 52 with a views.

Personally, I like the lists because it gives me idea's where to hike next. If I finish a list, great. If I don't, oh well. I'm more interested in just being out in the wilderness than if I completed a list or not.

Hey, you left out..

US high Points! I am currently working those babies. ;).

Yeah - I agree that lists just help you to plan your next hike. It's all good.

Sorry to hear about you Mom, Moose. I climbed MacNaughton in the winter as a tribute to my Grandmother, on her birthday to celebrate this good womens life, not her death.

Last edited:
Jason,

It's one of many I'm keeping a tab on. 11 done in all 4 so far with a 12th planned in Feb & 21 (soon 22) in three seasons. (all have been done in two different seasons)

So far 4 (Adams, Ike, Pierce, Field, S. Twin, Garfield, 4 Franconia's, Osceola)
Three: those 11 + Moriah, Middle Carter, Madison, Washington, Tom, N. Twin, Galehead, Hale, both Hancocks

NH 48 Winter.
With Monroe yesterday, :) That makes 16. The best part about that is: there's still plenty to do!

Tom

US State Highpoints (in good style)
New England State Highpoints in winter
Swiss Bobbing all 4K's

I like the idea of Prominance rather than Elevation...

According to the definition Prominance is "Prominence is defined as the vertical distance a given summit rises above the lowest col connecting it to a higher summit. " My question (probably a stupid one) is what is COL ???

Capt. Jim

What's a col

A col is a saddle or a low area the connects two higher elevation points. For example, a mountain pass would be a col. When you look at a mountain range, the low spots between peaks would be the cols.

For a graphic example, follow -THIS LINK- , the X marks the Wolf Jaw col in the Adirondack Great Range. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks Much!

That helps a great deal. I recently did Mt Washington from the Pinkham Notch Visitor Station. I believe about 2000'... summit 6288' so vert is about 4200 and change, but according to the Prominance table on Peakbagger it's listed at 6100 and change... that's what was messing me up. They must be calculating from a lower point (col) than from where I started. Thanks again!

Capt. Jim

Potato Knob

Prominence is calculated as the height difference between the mountain's summit and it's lowest col between it and its nearest higher neighbor. For Washington, it's nearest higher neighbor is Potato Knob in North Carolina.

This link may help.

-Dr. Wu

SherpaKroto said:
Hmmm, I'm not completely sure what lists I'm working on:
  • NH winter 4K (38/48)
    NE winter 4k (why the heck not?) (40/48)
    ADK 46 (a relative newbie at 15/46)
    111er (84/115)
    Most avatar appearances ;)
    List completion hikes
How about Speed Record for NH48? :p :D

How is your knee by the way? Please oh please wait a few weeks to post a full trip report (with pictures) of 5 days in BSP. I'm still digesting all the presidential and franconia day trips this weekend (I was in the Catskills, very nice I might add) and I'm about ready to explode in a fury of pure, black-hearted envy. BSP may be too much for my already heavy heart to handle. Just kidding. :eek:

-Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Please oh please wait a few weeks to post a full trip report (with pictures) of 5 days in BSP.
If I wait too long, I'll be up there again. Nine days and counting until my next BSP trip (with Spencer/GO, et al). This time, a 6 day ski traverse. Woohoo!
The knee is so much better with the brace (when I remember to wear it, right GO?)