What IS the correct pronounciation?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grumpy said:

Have heard Boreas (mountain, pond and river) pronounced "Boris" but that's not how I'd say it. Does that mark me as a flatlander?
----- // Warning - severe BS & sarcasm alert //-----

I'll preface by stating that, as ADKatie points out, the nuances and intricacies of the English Language, both written and spoken, elude me. (yes, it is my first Language) However...................

I pronounce Boreas............... like this - bore-ee-ASS (sort of like Aurora Bore-ee-alice)

I'll add that I do, not so much because it's correct or follows some phonetic rule of law, but because it lends a more poetic and romantic flare that I find appropriate to the wild nature of the (mountain, pond and river). I'd be crushed to learn that I'm supposed to say BORIS (which evokes.....well, I'll defer this one so as not to hurt the feelings of anyone reading named Boris).

But for Christ-sake, how :cool: cool :cool: can you be when you say. I just bushwhacked up BORE-is (as in BORING) Mountain. Not very, See my point?

After All, in the end, it matters not HOW you say it, so long as;
1 - You say it with confidence and conviction
2 - You say it with style ;)

----- // End Warning //-----

Last edited:
I always pronounce it MA COM
but what do I know? I was brought up on the other side of the pond and pronounce at least 50% of my words the opposite of most North Americans anyway. :) Good for a laugh though!

Couchsachraga is correctly pronounced, which Grace Hudowalski taught me, is "Kook-a-crag-a"

Which she said to always remember the man's name "Craig" to pronounce it correctly. But pronounced like a "crag" in a rock cliff.

Macomb is pronounced Ma-Comb.
As in (Ma) "muh- Comb" (hair)

Tahawus is "Ta-awe-z"

Last edited: