What's this

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like some type of monitoring device.

I worked for IES (www.ecostudies.org) as a research associate for about six years. Several of the scientists there (including my boss) conducted research at Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, where Kineo is (but you probably knew that :) )

Here's a link to the site:
http://www.hubbardbrook.org/

We did a cool project looking at the effects of freezing on nitrogen cycles in forest soils. There's lots of pretty neat research happening there.

Looks like you stumbled upon a study plot. I wonder if anyone will be able to identify the device?

Pretty cool antler, too.

:p

hmmm...nice moose antler! I've found quite a few scientific devices while bushwacking over the years, and that's my guess. I've thought it would be cool to place a camera trained on a shed to watch what happens after the drop, but that doesn't look like a camera.

Happy Trails :)

Did you follow the wiring? Its hard to tell from the photo but it looks like it goes under the piece of bark or stops at the base of the tree? Again, its hard to tell from the photo. I can't tell if the device is the sensor or if there is a sensor wired to it from a distance away.

Keith

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
Looks like some type of monitoring device...
SAR-EMT40 said:
Did you follow the wiring? Its hard to tell from the photo but it looks like it goes under the piece of bark or stops at the base of the tree? Again, its hard to tell from the photo. I can't tell if the device is the sensor or if there is a sensor wired to it from a distance away.

Keith
It's a monitoring device of some sort. I was curious as to what was being monitored at 2900' on Mt. Kineo. The wires go into the ground.

grog said:
Klaatu barado nikto-please, please, puhleasse take me back with you!!!
I swear I said the words exactly as you told me to....well, almost! :D

It could be monitoring anything and storing data on just about anything. It all depends on what the sensor(s), up to four, are designed to do. Just as long as the sensor outputs the data in the proper range it will record it. Unless I or someone else does an autopsy on what the sensors are there is really no way to know what exactly it is monitoring. Given that the sensor(s) are buried (and providing they don’t pop up above ground somewhere else) we could speculate on things like soil moisture content and acidity are possiblities but, it could literally be anything. They list some sensor they apparently sell but any output if done correctly can be recorded.

Keith

Last edited:
It's an ultrasonic snow depth sensor.

In the picture, you can see that it has been placed along a moose trail (if the antler doesn't give it away). I'm pretty sure it's being used in a study on Mt Kineo to gauge the impact of moose on nutrient cycling in the forest. It's important to know the snow depth because affects how moose browse for food.

You can read more about the study here: The Influence of Moose and Soil Freezing on Forest Nutrient Cycling and Tree Species Success

Here's another picture of an ultrasonic snow sensor.

I work for Onset Computer on Cape Cod. That picture is a solar radiation shield with a 4 channel datalogger on the inside. It probably has soil moisture and/or temperature sensors attached.

Having hiked a number of peaks in the Hubbard Brook Forest (and attended a forestry class there) I knew there were various data recorders all over and might have called them if I was curious, but the ability of this group to quickly provide a specific answer (with footnotes no less) is truly amazing

OMG I worked with Lynn Christensen when we were both RAs at IES, before she started her PhD. We were great running buddies and she eventually became a grad student of the scientist I worked for, and tied in to many of our projects. You have NO idea how much we teased her about leaving large ziplock bags of moose poop in our lab fridge. Its great to see her work is ongoing. Thanks for posting that link.
:)

Last edited:
evilhanz said:
I'm pretty sure it's being used in a study on Mt Kineo to gauge the impact of moose on nutrient cycling in the forest. It's important to know the snow depth because affects how moose browse for food.

You can read more about the study here: The Influence of Moose and Soil Freezing on Forest Nutrient Cycling and Tree Species Success

QUOTE]

Very cool! I've often wondered about the role of moose in the forest, specifically concerning their droppings as fertilizer and their browzing as pruning of the hobblebush, striped maple, etc. Yesterday, I followed a young bull as he stripped the leaves off anything in front of him. No species seems to be undesireable. It's clear to me that the moose stregnthen the hobblebush by pruneing it, as if they propigate their own food.

I'll read that study one of these nights. Thanks!

Happy Trails :)

p.s. Unadogger, sorry, but I'm the ditz who removed all those plastic laundry baskets from the forest, west of Sawyer River Road. :eek: The next time I saw baskets, they were labeled as research so I left them alone.