Where I come from we don't have volcanoes like that

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
The hiking in Washington is so choice. I highly recommend it if you have the means.

It was a beautiful day and I didn't have the schedule flexibility for a big hike. I thought about going to the beach, but with the summit of Rainier being clear and the alpine flora in bloom, I set out to get some great views of the huge volcano that sneaks up on me everywhere I go. No matter how many times I catch a glimpse of it (usually from the highway) it never fails to impress. I went for a short hike atop Chinook Pass (5430') on the eastern side of Mt Rainier National Park.

I hope I'm going the right way.
rainier1.jpg

It appears that way.
rainier2.jpg

Setting out on the trail. Dude, where's the trail? Where's the trail, dude?
rainier3.jpg

Neither the trail nor Rainier, but it's purrty.
rainier4.jpg

Also purrty.
rainier5.jpg

Ahh, yes. The alpine flora. Here's one thing I came to see. (Unfortunately the screen on my camera is broken, so I couldn't adjust the settings to get any good shots. http://www.vftt.org/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif)

rainier6.jpg

rainier7.jpg

rainier8.jpg

rainier9.jpg

rainier10.jpg

Last edited:
rainier11.jpg

rainier12.jpg

Oooooh, there it is! Oh, wait. That's not Rainier. That's Adams. Nice consolation prize.

rainier13.jpg

Around the corner
rainier14.jpg

Something comes into view
rainier15.jpg

Could it be?
rainier16.jpg

Yes. I think so.
rainier17.jpg

Definitely.
rainier18.jpg

Most definitely.
rainier19.jpg

The winding road back. It's all downhill from here.
rainier20.jpg

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Must have been frustrating to only have one day there :( ...

I don't know whether to thank you or slap you.

For months after I left the NW, I'd see white clouds on the horizon and semi-consciously convert them into volcanoes.

I stood on Rainier's eastern flank once and counted five in sight -- Baker, Glacier Peak, Rainier, Adams, and Saint Helens.

OK, I guess I'm going to thank you. :D

:envy: :p

do you have any larger pics? the only stuff I recognize is the Xerophyllum (X. tenax? I've seen the eastern species in the NJ pine barrens) aka beargrass
rainier10.jpg

and some kind of Phyllodoce? (mountain heath) on the right here, I don't know what the red stuff on the left is.
rainier11.jpg

Yup, the red flower on the left is Indian Paintbrush, saw them throughout the NW on my whirlwind trip, Lots of them on the PCT through Mt Hood and on Whitney's loop through Cottonwood Pass.

They are also frequently found up in Alaska and it is reported that the native American's used the flower as a dye for their paintings, though I can't confirm that (more because it was simply told to me and I never tried to research it).

Jay

SLI74- Yes that red stuff is Indian paint brush and the tall Q-tip white one is Beargrass

Gator It looks like you were on the Naches loop one of my favorites. That pic you have labled "Also purrty" is a view of Dewey Lake several hundred feet below on the PCT. just to the right of Dewey off pic is Seymour Peak. Looks to be a great hike for another day. That rock spire the trail circles is Naches Peak we whacked up that one day from the high of land on the west side near the unnamed lake that has the view of Rainier. Nice pics and a great choice for a hike if you only had a day. The trouble one is not enough.

wow, great pics

Glad to see you've already taken advantage of the West Coast hiking. jealous that you're seeing that kind of alpine flora as well as July snow! Hope the new job is also going well.