Where's all the Trail Condition Reviews?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
Although I haven't posted much lately I check here often to read what's going on. I am really missing the updates on trail conditions. Although I do see some posted the frequency has really dropped. Maybe it's just coincidence but it seems to have dropped since changing the location of the trail revies. Maybe not. But by now PinPin would have postings galore. I really rely on the reviews to know what footgear to bring and what trails to use or avoid. I suppose you could say I am as guilty as anyone but there were "regulars" who always used to post and they were certainly appreciated by myself and I'm sure many others. This time of year, early winter the reviews are esp helpful as you don't know what to expect and can end up packing for one set of conditions only to find something completely different. Yes, before anyone says it: bring it all and be prepared. that said, i still love the trail reviews! I'd like to encourage everyone hiking this time of year (myself included) to take the time to post their trail reviews.
By the way does anyone know what happened to PinPin?

reviews

yup those are the ones. i did see these but in past years there used to be a lot more postings, esp this time of the year. there were def regulars, some wrote really great ones too almost like a short story. i suppose folks are busy and just forget or have more pressing issues.

Last edited:
By the way does anyone know what happened to PinPin?
He posted this week.:) There isn't enough snow to post that a trail is broken out yet. Last year he started about Dec 21st so all the aspiring W46ers had a track to follow.:) I always say that probably a third of that list made there summits due to his work at some point. And I believe that is on the low side.:D

pin pin

i know like who is this guy? one time we were on a summit, i don't even recall now which one and i don't know maybe it was him - but this guy runs up to the top and has a bunny or something hanging out his pants (no jokes please)= looked around and then ran back down. left us standing there with our jaws hanging wondering ok, don't you want to hang out for a bit, take in the view, breathe? he is quite the adirondack enigma and i did enjoy his postings during the winter

I think that Trail Conditions are usually slow in November & April due to fewer hikers then, in fact the whole board has fewer posts since people are thinking of other things

Things will pick up in official winter due to more hikers and (as mentioned) snow conditions to post, and explode again next summer

Roy is right on the money. Once the Summer and foliage seasons are over, the transition time slows the trip reports down every year. They'll pick up with people having some time off around Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays and really take off again for the 3 months of winter and beyond.

Now is the time we really need condition reports. In summer the conditions are best guessed from weather.com reports!
A bunch of people hiked dix over the last few days. No reports. Went in yesterday expecting easy going and found deep snow. Ended up not making the summit. We only took one pair of snowshoes for 3 hikers - just in case. Wish I had known!
Oh well, see my report for a detailed look at the full winter conditions that have set in.

i know like who is this guy? one time we were on a summit, i don't even recall now which one and i don't know maybe it was him - but this guy runs up to the top and has a bunny or something hanging out his pants (no jokes please)= looked around and then ran back down. left us standing there with our jaws hanging wondering ok, don't you want to hang out for a bit, take in the view, breathe? he is quite the adirondack enigma and i did enjoy his postings during the winter

You had a genuine "PinPin" sighting - congratulations! :D

Last edited:
"This time of year, early winter the reviews are esp helpful as you don't know what to expect and can end up packing for one set of conditions only to find something completely different."

This is what it was like doing the winter mountains in the pre-hiking board days. You showed up and went with what the weather presented. Show up expecting to break trail, a gift to find it broken. ;)

pin pin

who is this guy? one time we were on a summit ... this guy runs up to the top and has a bunny
years ago, someone told tales of a guy who hiked the High Peaks, carrying a stuffed animal

had visions of a sketchy character hanging out in the woods with a large stuffed bunny :eek:

met Alain & Pin Pin hiking a few times since then ... they're pretty cool :cool:

years ago, someone told tales of a guy who hiked the High Peaks, carrying a stuffed animal

had visions of a sketchy character hanging out in the woods with a large stuffed bunny :eek:

met Alain & Pin Pin hiking a few times since then ... they're pretty cool :cool:
You should tell it the way you told me. "I heard about this guy hiking with a stuffed rabbit", "I envisioned this guy with a huge fair type stuff rabbit on his back hiking all around and thought, that is one of the scariest things I've ever heard!":D

Reactions: arm
You should tell it the way you told me. "I heard about this guy hiking with a stuffed rabbit", "I envisioned this guy with a huge fair type stuff rabbit on his back hiking all around and thought, that is one of the scariest things I've ever heard!":D

My recollection, from the one time I met him (RPR) was it was merely a c. 5" stuffed animal attached to his hip belt.

Actually, the little bunnies sit in a climbing chalk bag strapped around Alain's waist. See Pinpin Junior from January 2006 (photo by Andrew Lavigne):

Last edited:
The BIG picture...
2931263510071072332S600x600Q85.jpg
PHOTO BY.... ALGonquin Bob! :D