which mountain most often?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say high Point in NJ. I live less than 4 miles away so I get there very often. There is not much of challenge since there is a road that goes to the top but I always take the trail up and even then it is only 200ft climb.

The next one would be Mt Minsi in the Delaware Water Gap. There is more of a challenge in climbing that one but I use to train on that one when I was in Colledge.

Bemis Mountain in Maine's Rangeley Lakes area is the one I have done most often. It's a great mountain literally in the back yard of my lakeside camp. While I have only hit one or more of the summits about a dozen times or so, I have explored the lower regions countless times. This includes exploring trails my neighbors have blazed, bushwhacking around, exploring the numerous log roads along the sides of the mountain.

I have hiked Watatic, Gap and Monadnock the most. Mainly beacuse they are close to home. I wonder how many other VFTT'ers I have hiked past on these hikes and never new it.

While talking to Dugan on the Monadnock hike last week I mentioned I hike Watatic on Thanksgiving each year with my cousin. She mentioned she was up there a few years ago and talked to someone that does it every Thanksgiving. Kinda weird, maybe we met before.

Last edited:
Warren,
Which way do you bushwhack Treadway from? I've taken the trail up a few times and loved it.

Treadway Mnt.

The route I take for Treadway (and it's really the route not the mountain that's my favorite) is from Pharaoh lake take the swing trail on the north end of the lake (near winter green point) to the intersection of said trail with the creek that spill out of Devils washdish (my map has no name for the creek). At the Washdish turn west along the base of Treadways cliff. From there pick out a weaknesses in the cliff and get to the cliff top, from there the peak. Return following a rough bearing to split rock bay.

I most frequent this route with first time bushwackers.

Thanks for that scoop, Warren.

I'll have to try that approach sometime soon. The Pharoah Lake/Putnam Ponds area is a favorite of mine, and since I take care of one of the Pharoah Lake lean-to's I'm in there a lot. Would the route be too sketchy for winter?

I haven't been up Treadway in the winter, but there is a bit of gorge on the creek that may be a bit sketchy to get through. The first weakness in the cliff (on cliff shore of first pond you pass) is very loose and rocky, I wouldn't do that in the winter. Just below the peak, there's a notch thats steep but offers no major challenges- in the winter I would do that route. It's a fun pleasant scramble to cut over to the open the rock that stretches down from the peak, could be intimidating to some in winter.

If this thread was titled "what place most often?" my answer would have been Pharaoh Lake.

Note: I haven't been up there since Floyd. The north end of Pharaoh got a bit of damage there from Floyd and the northeaster that hit a month before, I don't know what the woods are like now.

Wow, amazing! I don't think I've even been on 100 hikes, much less hiked a single mountain 100 times.

My question is, at what point do you stop keeping track and just say, "yeah I've hiked this mountain... a lot." :D
^MtnMike^

I've done Algonquin 24 times. Marcy, Giant, Wright, Whiteface and others
19 times each. Been up Pokomoonshine all of 50 or more.