which mountain most often?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jn316

Reaction score
Some of us are blessed to live close enough to northeast mountains to hike up a nearby little one (or big one) most days. Or we've just lived long enough to hike many and often.
have you hike any mtn. a thousand times?
a hundred?
fifty?

pleasant addition!

avk4316 said:
have you hike any mtn. a thousand times?

Yes ;)

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.) First time I got that message :confused:

Daily workout

When I lived near the base of Mt Major. I would speed hike up and run down about 5 times a week all through 1984-5-6. Running in high top basketball shoes and making them squeak on the ledges coming down. This was during the time I worked on the "cave" located on the right side of the trail. I still go up to the "cave" about twice a year to check it out. Kind of satisfying to see that it has been added to the local trail maps of the area. How many times? Maybe 500.

I don't know about a thousand times but living in the eastern White Mountains I have several favorite short hikes for when I have just a couple hours to play. The Roost in Evan's Notch is tops and is a place I like to sprint up to to cook and eat a quick supper. I head up Albany Mtn and Mt. Will pretty often, too.
-veg

Depends on how you define "climb". Does each climb have to start at a trailhead and include the very apex of the summit? But no matter how you define it, I can claim no mountain a thousand times (that's 20 times a year for 50 years). However, I can safely estimate I've spent well over 2000 hours and did about 100 overnighters on one mountain, but only actually climbed it maybe 30 times. I estimate I climbed Rattlesnake Hill on the Weare-Henniker town line 1500 times in a period of five years, but that's a vertical rise of less than 250'.

Yup

Mount Uncanoonuc (Amoeskeag Indian for Womans Breast) in Goffstown,NH at least 20 times. It is my current speed hiking traininf HILL.

In the whites... Cannon 7 times, Lafayette 8 times and Washington 13.

stopher said:
Depends on how you define "climb". Does each climb have to start at a trailhead and include the very apex of the summit?

we need to know the rules before we can reply - - - - i probably climbed the one behind my house upstate 1000 times (while hunting, or just for the hell of it) i have been climbing it for 35 years - - - - - as for high peaks... retired forest ranger pete fish said he had climbed mt. marcy over 500 times - can anyone break that record??? - - - what are the rules? can we climb it more than once in a day? do we have to start from the road? etc.? (do we need a comittee to decide?).

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
there are no badges to be had on this one ...
no???? maybe we can make some? (can we give em out before we have rules?)

Last edited:
post'r boy said:
why do you feel the need to be so negative towards a club you associate yourself with?
i think you need to check what thread you are on - no one said anything about a club on this one?

Buck Mountain on Lake George is 20 minutes away from us. Great view, 6.6 mile round trip, respectable 2000 feet of vertical. My wife and I have probably been up 100 - 150 times.

(Retired Ranger Pete Fish probably holds the Marcy record at something over 700...)

TCD

there are most definetly local mtns. (read big hills) i have climbed easily dozens of times and one atleast 100. although they are not remotely wilderness, there are close, quick and easy when only a few hours are to be had. and certainly better than staring at the idiot box.

nearby avon mtn. has some nice views and some sweet little spots to chill at and i must have climbed that thing a hundred times, whether hiking or trail running.

east peak castle craig was super popular for a group of us one summer, probably a few dozen night ascents before we got our car ticketed.

monadnock i must have hiked 30 or 40 times, its a fun mtn and i try to climb it monthly from sept to april or may. many many less people there in the off months.

starchild, how old are you, and where are you from? :)

I hit avon mountain too, but have probably biked it more like 50-75 times. However, i have done greylock probably about 20 times...and im at an age disadvantage :D

Last edited:
I hang out in Baxter a lot because I live close-by. I tend to hike the south end of the park more than the north. The big disadvantage to hiking in Baxter is that I can't bring Moxie dog :( The advantage of hiking Baxter is that I usually meet up with my dad after the hike, and we have dinner/beer and play a round of shuffleboard together at the Veterans Club :) :)

I'm sure the northeast record is held by Larry Davis on Monadnock. He climbed the mountain 2,850 consecutive days, plus many hundreds more. I'm not sure anyone anywhere has climbed a significant mountain more times.

-dave-

Nonlegit said:
However, i have done greylock probably about 20 times...and im at an age disadvantage :D
Nonlegit: when climbing and age are mentioned, young age is rarely a disadvantage, other than in experience. It's often tough to get the body going as you get older.

For me, Holt Hill holds some fascination as a training hill, but I've only been up that about 75 times (should hit 100 by year end as I need to rehab!). As far as 4K's are concerned, Mt Washington is tops at 27 times (might be 1 or 2 times more) - not always by choice. I spent a lot of my summers at Dolly Copp, whenever someone wanted to climb ONE mountain, it always seemed to be Washington. So I would go along. A won't add the days spent in the snowfields, Tuck's or Hillman's skiing. That would put me near 80 days... The amazing thing is that most is confined to a few trails - there are still a few that I've not hiked on the rockpile, but I'm sure that will change :)

I ran into Larry Davis on Monadnock. An interesting encounter.