Which VFTT most often seen?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do most of my hiking in the Catskills. I have climbed Twin, Indian Head, and Overlook about 50x each. Ashokan High Point, Hunter, Sugarloaf, Plateau, Bearpen, and Huntersfield are not far behind.

In the Adirondacks it is Noonmark at 4x, with Giant, Rocky Peak Ridge, and Algonquin close.

In the Whites counting "all" views it is Washington (which includes childhood rides in an auto and the cog). In actual climbs Washington and Monroe at 2x.

Lafayette is my top peak... 27 times so far (but whose counting?)
Whether I hike it with friends or solo, in good weather or bad, at a fast pace or slow...I can't say I've ever had a bad hike to this peak. :)

I don't know what it is, but Stairs Mtn. has a happen of sneaking into so many pictures. It's kind of like playing a "Where's Waldo" game. Maybe because it has easily defined characteristics. Check some of your old pictures, I bet you'll be suprised how often it shows up.

edited: Not quite sure why I posted that in here. After re-reading the first post, this doesn't apply. But, still think about it.

OK, play on!

been up washington maybe 15 times, liberty maybe 15 or 20 times. monadnock was 40 minutes from fitchburg where i used to live, maybe 30 times. kearsage is near concord where i live now, maybe 40 times.

dug said:
I don't know what it is, but Stairs Mtn. has a happen of sneaking into so many pictures. It's kind of like playing a "Where's Waldo" game. Maybe because it has easily defined characteristics. Check some of your old pictures, I bet you'll be suprised how often it shows up.

edited: Not quite sure why I posted that in here. After re-reading the first post, this doesn't apply. But, still think about it.

OK, play on!

Actually, I think it does apply. The title question, "Which VFTT most often seen", made me immediately think 'Chocorua' as I'm sure I have more pictures of it from other T(ops) than any other V(iew) s(een).

I've been up Mt. Washington, Pierce and Osceola 6 times each, Carter Dome and Cannon a few (not sure exactly how many).Modadnock is quite a few, but I have no idea

Frodo said:
We are so lucky to have mountains like these (and in the Adk's), that when you travel between the App's and the Rockies you realize how fortunate we are...

Amen!
There might even be "more" hiking/climbing here than in the West. Northeastern mountains are more accessible year 'round, and in the summer we can usually hike all day, not just pre-dawn until early afternoon thunderstorm.
And some of us are blessed in where we live/work to be able to get a VFTT during a (long) lunch hour!

And some of us are blessed in where we live/work to be able to get a VFTT during a (long) lunch hour!
or after work!

At the risk of losing 'hiking cred', there's nothing I've climbed more than Mt. Cardigan and I doubt I ever will.

I've climbed it 1-8 times a year since I turned 8. I've looked forward to every trip, and expect that it will remain my most climbed and cherished.

Maybe it is the comfortable familiarity or the knowledge that it will still be accessible when my body can no longer handle the big glorious peaks in the Whites, but Ol' Baldy is practically part of the family now.

For me..

My most often visited summit has been to Wittenberg in the Catskills, NY. It was my first Catskills peak and I am a trail Maintainer so I visit that peak several times a year to do trail work.
It also has one of the best views that I have ever seen from a peak in NYS. You can see the 'gunks to the south, the Hudson Valley and on a clear day some peaks in CT and lower Mass.to the East, and the peaks of the Devil's Path and the Blk Dome Range to the North as well as many other sights. Once I watched a fire works display that took place in the city of Kingston from that summit.
Ok, it's not the biggest or the highest and on any given weekend day it is sure to be a "crowded" summit and certainly the trail up from Woodland Valley is pretty mild-but have you ever bushwhacked up the East face? Yummy.

Tuckerman Ravine up Washington def. get some high foot traffic, probably more than the empty inerstates up here in fact!

I would have to get out the various editions of the High Peaks Guide to get an exact count, but

No. 1 would be Giant. I lost track in the mid twenties, from the slides and all the trails. It is a great hike to introduce people to the High Peaks.

Algonquin 14 times, give or take. Same thing.

Marcy at least 12 times. Dix 11 times.

Haystack 7 times, twice in winter.

Colden 7 times, three times up the Dike, once up the new slide when it was brand new.

Cascade a lot, but i stopped counting after the first summer and first winter hike.

Couch - once and never again

all the peaks in western maine = dozens of times each.

katahdin = 17 and counting!

little late replying but.. looks like a fun thread

don't really keep an accurate count - but my top 3 are something like this.

washington - around 20 - few winters thrown in
Adams - around 10 - more winters than others
laffeyette & lincoln (usally done together) has be near 30 for the both with lincoln being slightly less- probably half being winter

others than come close would be monadnock and jefferson. (no winter jeff yet tho)

does Pawtuckaway count?

sure its small, but its down the road, and I can go weekly, its how I stay in shape for the weekends in the whites, can't count how many times I've hiked there, South Peak has got to be the one I've been up the most often.

Monroe and South Twin are my most in the whites, 4 times, same amount of times as I have done Monadnock. Moosilauke, Liberty, Madison, Chocurua are all at 3. Whole bunch twice. Hmm, perhaps I don't hike as much as it seems like I do.

Monadnock, 15 summits, one to treeline

In the White's Washington & Lincoln 11X Lafayette 10X, Monroe 9X several more 5+ Planning on gong to Washington next weekend weather permitting to break the tie.

Greylock 11 leads VFTT in MA I've seen
Bear in CT 11 -13 times
Marcy in ADK 4X
Baxter Peak, Bigelow's 2X in ME
Mansfield 3X in VT

Pete Fish, a now-retired NYS Forest Ranger, has climbed Mt. Marcy over:

570 times!!! :eek: :eek:

The shortest route to Marcy is 15+ miles, with 3,000+ vertical gain.