White Mountain Guide Online Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
Mystic, Connecticut Avatar: Peakbagging with
I wasn't able to find a previous thread on this so I'm sorry if this has been discussed already here. I seem to have found a discrepancy with the 'Elevation Gain' feature of the White Mountain Guide Online. Or maybe I just need a clarification as to what I'm seeing. Maybe someone can help me out here.

After recently completing a one day Presidential Traverse I became aware of a difference in what the White Mountain Guide and the White Mountain Online Guide say for total 'Elevation Gain' of that hike. Like Mohamed's site, I believe the total gain to be around 9050' whereas the Online Guide put it just a bit over 10050' or so. Mileage turned out to be right on. As a little test, just doing the Online Guide from the summit of Mt. Eisenhower all the way to Mt. Webster and then down the Webster-Jackson trail to the Highland Center the total 'Elevation Gain' comes in at +1506' whereas the book puts it somewhere in the 600-700' range I think.

I guess in the big scheme of things it's not really all that important, but like many others, I'm a numbers kind of guy.

I'm not sure if the program isn't figuring it right or I'm not right. Can someone help me out on this one. I've found it to be a great tool, but have also found not to totally rely on it 100% either.

Holy Cow, don't ya just love it when you find the answer to your own question! After crunching numbers in the guide book over and over, and searching bulletin boards for hours on end I finally found out what I was looking for. Apparently, there is a White Mountain Guide Online Help Document that I just found. What an idiot, should have known. There is a whole section I've pasted below that describes the difference between what's in the printed book and what's online. Very interesting. Now, here's the million dollar quesion.

Are we now to assume that the online version is more accurate because it calculates all elevation changes from start to finish using exact GIS data and that the total elevation gain during my full presie traverse was really at 10,085' vs. the 9050' from the printed guide? :confused: Makes ya wonder doesn't it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
4.0 A Note about Descriptions, Mileage, Elevation
Change, and “Book Time” – online vs. printed guidebook.

A trail segment is a section of trail that begins and ends with a trailhead, trail junction,or a major feature, such as a popular rock or waterfall, or a tentsite. The print edition of the White Mountain Guide, 28th edition provides elevation change and “book time” estimates for some, but not all trail segments in the White Mountains. In order to provide the ability for an online user to explore any trail segment, or build a route using any combination of trail segments, AMC used Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software to calculate distance and total elevation change, and to apply a standard formula to generate “book time.” As a result, you will find slight differences between
information presented in the guidebook and online.

Distances in the print edition were measured using a surveyor wheel. Online distances and elevation change were generated by combining topography data with the trails layer at 10-meter intervals to calculate total distance and elevation change as the trail is traversed.

Most trail descriptions in the print edition are written assuming a single direction of travel, often ascending. (A few of the longer trails include a reverse description.) In order to enable online users to plan ascending and descending routes, we added reverse descriptions, although often less involved than the book’s original forward descriptions.

Elevation change in the printed guidebook is only considered to occur if there is a change of +/– 50 feet. Online elevation change includes all changes in elevation from start to finish using exact GIS data. Online elevation change can therefore be greater than what is in the printed guidebook.

Homer said:
Elevation change in the printed guidebook is only considered to occur if there is a change of +/– 50 feet. Online elevation change includes all changes in elevation from start to finish using exact GIS data. Online elevation change can therefore be greater than what is in the printed guidebook.
GIS data has errors too.

<editorial>
Many people seem to assume that because something is done by computer, electronically, or digitally, it is 100% accurate. Not necessarily so.
</editorial>

The GIS DEM (digital elevation map) data comes from measurements of the physical world and all suchmeasurements have errors or noise. Furthermore, digital data comes in discrete steps and cannot represent values between the steps adding digitization error. Some of my DEMs (from Shuttle Orbiter mapping radar, I believe) have a stated error of 1 meter (which means that 90% of the altitudes are within 1 meter) on a 30 meter grid (ie one altitude number for a 30 meter x 30 meter patch). So you have altitude measurement error + position measurement error + patch error + digitzation error + processing error. And I'm sure that I am missing some other sources of error...

Lets say, for instance, that you have a slowly ascending ridge and a trail along it. Lets even assume that the trail ascends smoothly at 10 meters/km to an accuracy of 1 cm. But the DEM measurements are only accurate to 1 vertical meter. As you trace the route adding up each bit of climb, the DEM variations from patch to patch (up to 2 meters...) can accumulate much faster than the actual rise. Now consider real terrain: constant rises and dips on horizontal and vertical distance scales from centimeters to kilometers. (The trail profile is actually a fractal--that is the distance and accumulated climb depend on the size of the measuring stick that you use...) The 50 foot rule is an attempt to define a standard that would tend to match human perception. (A hiker is likely to consider 1 foot ups and downs to be roughness, but 50 foot ups and downs to be climbs and descents. An ant might disagree...)

So ultimately both the climb and the distance depend upon how you measure them. Plus all methods of actual measurements have errors that depend upon the measurements, the method, and the terrain.

Doug

Last edited:
I remember when I first signed up for the online guide last fall, I used it to calculate the elevation gain for a Kinsmans trip from the west side. I can't remember the exact numbers, but the online guide came up with more elevation than claimed by the printed guide. At the time I was a bit annoyed by this, since calculating elevation gain on multiple-peak hikes was my primary reason for spending $15 on the online guide. I spoke to Steve Smith about this a few months ago when I was in the Mountain Wanderer. At that time he acknowledged that there were differences between the online and print versions, but since he wasn't as involved with the online guide as he was with the printed version, he couldn't say for sure if the issue would be resolved. I left with the impression that it was the online version that was wrong. So it's good to hear that it's correct, as far as my paying for a subscription. I only hope that they will use the info from the online guide when compiling the next version of the printed guide.

I don't have a subscription to the online guide but....

When it first launched, (I was one of their many beta testers) they calculated "elevation CHANGE" rather than "elevation GAIN." So even the downhill portions were added in to come up with a figure showing the overall elevation change for the hike.

I know a number of us brought this up as a problem in the beta testing, saying that most people just want to know about the gain, not the overall elevation change. I was under the impression that they switched it to calculate only gain... but now I'm not so sure. The information quoted by Homer is using the terms "elevation change" instead of "elevation gain" so perhaps they never changed it?

- Ivy

Well, I guess the bottom line is we just don't know for sure what the exact elevation gain is. Or even better, which one is more accurate since both seem to have some sort of 'fudge factor'? Both ways are just an approximate way of calculating it. Would a GPS unit or some high tech altimeter be a more accurate way of seeing the total elevation gain?

Homer said:
Well, I guess the bottom line is we just don't know for sure what the exact elevation gain is. Or even better, which one is more accurate since both seem to have some sort of 'fudge factor'? Both ways are just an approximate way of calculating it. Would a GPS unit or some high tech altimeter be a more accurate way of seeing the total elevation gain?
It is easy to measure the difference in altitude between two places--it is well-defined and can be measured up to the accuracy of your measuring devices.

However when measuring total climb (or descent), there is no fundamental distinction between a bump (or an insiginificant dip) and two sections of slope. Thus the problem is more one of no unique definition than inadequate instruments. Sure, more accurate instruments will usually give more accurate results, but they cannot cure the fundamental problem.

Many seem to regard the guidebook values as the gold standard, but fundamentally they are subject to the same problem. There simply is no unique correct value for total climb.

Doug

The basic problem that I see is inconsistent data. Accuracy is not the issue. The method and resolution of measurement is not the issue. A lack of consistency in the information between these two products is the issue, as I see it. And, there is no reason why the information can’t agree between products.

The White Mountain Guide is offered in two versions, a printed book and an on-line service. Since both products carry the same name, are intended to serve essentially the same purpose, and are provided by the same organization it seems reasonable to expect the information provided on any given trail segment to agree from one source to the other. This is not currently the case.

Comments in the user documentation seem to indicate the online information is believed to be more accurate than the printed information. This isn’t my opinion but the opinion of the organization promoting the products. They are evidently discrediting one product in favor of the other. That’s an interesting position. Are they selling books, subscriptions to online services, or attempting to stimulate an internal war? Perhaps there’s some entertainment on the way.

The printed version is a static document. In other words the information doesn’t change. Why is it unreasonable to expect the trail segment information be updated to show consistency between the book and the online service? I have been interested in learning if there is a plan to update the printed version to have consistent trail segment information. So far, I have been unable to get an answer to my question.

Since according to the organization that owns these products, one product is superior to the other in terms of accuracy, it seems a person would need to have more money than brains to purchase both. And, since the printed version is deficient in terms of the overall quality of the reported statistics, purchasing the book may make little sense unless there is some other driving reason – such as trying to have a complete set.

Granted, the book is as good as it has ever been. Unfortunately, it can be improved but there seems to be no plan to make the needed changes.

BIGEarl said:
The printed version is a static document. In other words the information doesn’t change. Why is it unreasonable to expect the trail segment information be updated to show consistency between the book and the online service? I have been interested in learning if there is a plan to update the printed version to have consistent trail segment information. So far, I have been unable to get an answer to my question.
I think you may be underestimating the amount of work it will take to update, edit, and review the paper version if the data isn't in the right format. I'm sure they are working on ways to draw the data for the paper version from the same data source, but the publishing side of things may be using antiquated software right now.

It's not unreasonable to expect them to match. It may be unreasonable to expect them to match right now. Ask Steve the next time you are in the Mountain Wanderer.

David Metsky said:
I think you may be underestimating the amount of work it will take to update, edit, and review the paper version if the data isn't in the right format. I'm sure they are working on ways to draw the data for the paper version from the same data source, but the publishing side of things may be using antiquated software right now.

It's not unreasonable to expect them to match. It may be unreasonable to expect them to match right now. Ask Steve the next time you are in the Mountain Wanderer.
My quoted comments clearly indicate my first interest is to learn if there is a plan at all to update the information. An official statement on this point would be helpful - speculation would not. I recognize this may represent a significant editing effort. I am less interested in knowing when the updated document will be available and more interested in knowing if the document will be updated at all.

As it stands right now, based on their comments I have no interest in purchasing a replacement to the book that I currently own even though it is preparing to fall apart at any time. I'll purchase a roll of duct tape instead.

At the end of the day (when I get back to the trailhead all tired and sweaty) what matters most to me is that the relative difficulty is accurate. After all, I (as with most humans) compare new things to things I know. So, if the stated distance and elevation and book time for hike X is 10% longer than hike Y, and I've done hike Y, I can guesstimate the difficulty of a new hike, X.

Either source of information should be internally consistent (self-consistent) which is good enough even for a numbers guy like me.

Tim

My answer is its about 9500 elev gain give or take. there are so many variations that can be done to tweak the mileage and ele - why get all crazy about it?? :p :p

Then again, I still use the 1992 white mountain guide and maps from the mid-1990's... they work just as good. I did the trial of the online guide and didn't care for it too much. kind of like that trails.com site - only suckers pay online for this info :p :p :p

pressie traverse is ~9.5K ele gain :p :p :D

EDIT: I do value the work that goes into the AMC guides - and especially the books the smith and dickerman do. I will gladly pay for those reads and info :D

Last edited:
giggy said:

Then again, I still use the 1992 white mountain guide and maps from the mid-1990's... they work just as good. I did the trial of the online guide and didn't care for it too much. kind of like that trails.com site - only suckers pay for this info

Hey Giggy - It looks like we agree. A pleasant surprise for sure. :D

BIGEarl said:
The basic problem that I see is inconsistent data. Accuracy is not the issue.
Sure, consistency across sources would be nice. But bad data is still bad data even if you get it from several sources. (And actually, if it is one original source and passed to you by several messengers, it is still one source and any confidence that you get from the multiple consistent messengers is false.)

And I would argue that accuracy is also important. If one trail is listed as being 20% longer than a realistic value and another is listed as being 30% shorter it would lead to unrealistic expectations of the difficulty of hiking one trail based upon the difficulty of hiking another. (Actually this is an argument for consistent error factors, not accuracy. I'd add that, IMO, the easiest way to achieve consistent error factors is accuracy.)

Look at the definition of book [hiking] time. It is well defined and easy to understand. Most of us don't hike at that speed, but it is a reasonable definition and many of us know what fudge factor to apply to estimate our own hiking times. (Ie they are consistent. There is no general ground truth here so there is no precise notion of accuracy. But in a general sense, the times are in the ballpark for most hikers.)

An analogous convention for measuring hiking distance would also be appropriate. The old method of using a surveyor's wheel of specified diameter is a practical method that is presumably consistent and reasonably close to a hiker's perceived distance (ie accurate). It has the problem that someone has to walk the trail dragging the apparatus and it is only practical to publish distances between points-of-interest (POI, eg trailheads, junctions, and summits).

The White Mountain Guide is offered in two versions, a printed book and an on-line service. Since both products carry the same name, are intended to serve essentially the same purpose, and are provided by the same organization it seems reasonable to expect the information provided on any given trail segment to agree from one source to the other. This is not currently the case.
The online user guide does inform the user that there are differences--the book distances are measured by a surveyor's wheel and the online distances are estimated by an algorithm. There is a similar statement regarding the differences in the total climb for a route.

Comments in the user documentation seem to indicate the online information is believed to be more accurate than the printed information. This isn’t my opinion but the opinion of the organization promoting the products. They are evidently discrediting one product in favor of the other. That’s an interesting position. Are they selling books, subscriptions to online services, or attempting to stimulate an internal war? Perhaps there’s some entertainment on the way.
I saw nothing in the online docs available to the general public that indicated that one was believed to be more accurate than the other--just that they were different. Could you point me to such a statement?

Is this the opinion of a cartographer, someone involved in producing or promoting the online product, or just some random individual who was tasked to write the docs and/or advertisements. Did they bother to ground-truth the numbers generated by the online product? Unless the online numbers were ground-truthed by cartographers and people who understand how to measure distances on digital routes on digital maps, I'd be inclined to assign a low confidence to such an opinion.

Here is a link to an article giving an analysis of the errors in distance computation in NG TOPO!: http://tchester.org/sgm/analysis/trails/chantry/topo.html. FWIW, NG TOPO! Northeast has often been observed to generally give shorter trail distances than the WMG book.

FWIW, I can think of distance measuring algorithms for routes on maps whose errors depend upon the general heading of a route and the method of inputting the route.

Pragmatically, it is easier and cheaper to provide an algorithm to measure distance on digital maps than to maintain a table of distances. (An algorithm can also give a distance from anywhere to anywhere by any route which is impractical to do by a table.) But there are a zillion* pitfalls in applying such algorithms to real routes on real maps. While the general user may not be aware of the details, he should be assured that there has been appropriate professional oversight and validation. Or at least something describing the errors and their sizes.

* Well, maybe only a half a zillion. But a lot, anyway...

Granted, the book is as good as it has ever been. Unfortunately, it can be improved but there seems to be no plan to make the needed changes.
As noted above, it isn't clear to me that the online distances are superior to the book distances. The book distances are measured by a method whose errors are fairly easy to understand (and perhaps quantify), not necessarily the same for the online version.

Doug

Last edited:
giggy said:
Then again, I still use the 1992 white mountain guide and maps from the mid-1990's... they work just as good.
I have been burned by this--a trail had been changed and, of course, it didn't show on my old map.

I did the trial of the online guide and didn't care for it too much. kind of like that trails.com site - only suckers pay online for this info
I haven't tried the online guide and I probably won't bother. I just pick up a new copy of the book every now and then (but certainly not all editions). And a new set of maps to replace the old beat-up ones can be nice too (included with the book, of course).

Doug

There are occasional problems when using the older guides - I remember coming across four backpackers just off the Blueberry Ledge Trail a few years back (man, I feel old when I use a line like "a few years back" :p ) who had to go over Whiteface and set up camp in the woods because they planned to stay at the cabin that was mentioned in their AMC Guide - (there were once a couple of cabins (Rich and Shehadi I believe) in the Passaconaway area...

90 % + of the time there are no issues - just sometimes trail relocations, dismantled shelters, washed out bridges etc become an issue. I really like the 26th edition a lot - I am not crazy about the latest one - I find it a bit tougher to use.

FYI:
I was also a beta tester of the online guide and I received an email this morning asking me to test a new set of updated enhancements.

Included in this new round of enhancements:

* Ability to save & reuse custom routes
* Ability to add notes to the map
* Access to driving directions via Google Maps
* Downloadable GPS waypoints

I have not used the online guide but I will check the new features out.

Well thanks to everyone for all of the help and info. I've learned a few things and probably also irritated a few people out there as well. If so, sorry about that.

I know nothing is perfect and each the online guide and paper edition have their flaws, but I will continue to use BOTH. It seems each one has it's advantages and disadvantages and I'm sure each one will continue to improve over time. One thing I do like about the online guide is being able to print out your hike descriptions. In the past I was making copies of the paper version to take with me instead of carrying the whole book to save weight.

Interesting article in this month's October issue of Backpacker magazine (pg. 19) featuring a Traverse of New Hampshires Presidential Range in Winter.

It goes something like this: "A winter traverse of the Presidential Range is the most coveted - and riskiest - mountaineering feat in the Northeast. The 23.3 mile route includes 11 miles above treeline, 10,000 feet of elevation gain, and 10 peaks above 4,000 feet........." And on it goes.

See it's articles like this that give people inaccurate information. ;)