White Mountain Tripleheader

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Sister

Reaction score
In an effort to spice things up a bit, Meb came up with a crazy 3-fer hike. She proposed we hike Cabot, then Hale, and finally Tecumseh. Why not...

So, a little before 9 we headed up Cabot. The trail was littered with wildflowers; the only one I could positively identify was trillium, but there were lots of others. It was beautiful! The lower section of the Mt. Cabot trail was surprisingly drier than I thought it would be. All of the watery sections were easily passable by stepping on exposed rocks. Just after Bunnell rock, we ran into the monorail, so we put on snowshoes(which didn't necessarily make the footing any easier).

It was turning out to be a much better weather day than originally predicted and from the outlook just above the cabin we got some great views. Because we had an agenda, we hit the summit, and made quick work coming back down.

Back at the car, we raced over to Hale, stopping only for pizza and beverages. Zealand road is now open, so we were very excited to start at the trailhead of Hale! Meb had put a slice of pizza in her pack for a summit snack....so I had to go in front. The smell wafting from her pack was too distracting for me to follow :D The Hale brook trail is free of snow until the second water crossing. Again, we used snowshoes, but the snow was pretty intermittent, and eventually I took them off and carried them to the summit. I find it quite challenging and a little frustrating to be out in these half and half conditions, but the forest is so alive with spring that I couldn't not be out there! Great VFTT. We took a quick break and reattached our snowshoes to our pack. They really weren't that helpful at all!

Back at the car, we're now on a roll...2 down 1 to go! I didn't realize that the drive over to Tecumseh was as long as it was because the last time I had been to this mountain was in Feb. of 2004. So it was tough to stay motivated while spending so much time driving. We had decided that we would go ultra light on this hike! We grabbed our headlamps, cell phones, and jacket and at a little before 5 we started up Tecumseh. The views behind us were spectacular. But the hike up sucked! I was tired...and maybe a little cranky. My thoughts were of the Common Man couches and a nice cold coca-cola. I thought I might have to use my cell phone to make a 911 call....but just before I did, I looked up and saw the tower at the top of the ski trail. Here, I started counting steps, 482 to actually reach the tower.

Once in the woods and on the sosman trail, things got a little better in my head. There was lots of snow, but the monorail was wide enough and solid enough to afford only minimal postholing. When we finally made the summit I tried to muster up a Whoo-hoo, but I was pooped. I just wanted to be back at the car...so we quickly headed down. We took a mish-mash of ski trails down, searching out the patches of snow where we could do a little boot skiing.

So, back at the car, Meb and I are very excited to have accomplished our goal. We headed off to the Common Man for some great food and beverages and free cheese and crackers! On a final note, we saw a beaver crossing the Kanc on the way home...Meb thought there must be something wrong with it??

Anyway...super fun day as always!

Little Sister said:
We had decided that we would go ultra light on this hike! We grabbed our headlamps, cell phones, and jacket
Ultra light?! A cell phone is bright enough to double as a light! Just think of all the weight you could have saved! :D :D

Great job! I'm both tired and hungry just from reading your report. :D

Wow! Amazing guys! That's one FULL day of hiking for sure! Like MJ, I'm wiped out from just reading the report. Nice job! :)

Thanks Sis for another fun and crazy day of hiking! As much as I love the winter months I will be very happy when I can leave the snowshoes at home.

-MEB

Reactions: arm
Wow, when your books are all written and you two are rich and famous I will be able to tell some else's grandkids, yup, I knew then WAY back WHEN!

:rolleyes:

What was snow conditions like on Mt Tecumseh

Like Mohamed I too am wondering what snow conditions were like above 2800' on Mt Tecumseh? Quite a feat doing three widely spaced peaks as these, but your TR is bit light on trail conditions etc. I'm leading an AMC hike this Saturday to Sandwich Mt and am at a loss as to what gear to have people bring. I'm going to post this in NH Q&A too. I haven't hiked in Whites for close to a month so I've lost touch with current conditions at upper elevations.

Jazzbo

We took the work road up Tucemseh which was virtually snow free...as few pathes here and there. The Sosman Trail still had quite a bit of snow but we were able to move along without our snowshoes with just a few postholes. At the junction there were a few areas that were snow free but again it was not too bad. Most of the ski trails are free frm snow as well....we looked for the few remaining snow patches as it was fun to boot ski after a long day. As far as leaving the snowshoes behind....I guess it would all depend on how much you enjoy trudging through the rotten snow that is left...with or without the shoes it's kind of a pain.

Hope this helps!

-MEB

MEB,

Thanks for the conditions! I plan to hike up the ski slopes, not interested in the summit, so should be in good condition.
MEB said:
As far as leaving the snowshoes behind....I guess it would all depend on how much you enjoy trudging through the rotten snow that is left...with or without the shoes it's kind of a pain.
Jazzbo,

I believe this is the real answer to you question: with or without snowshoes your group will suffer :( This is a time of the year where many people find it simpler to avoid snow rather than attempt to deal with it. Hence all the reports of trips up minor peaks.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
This is a time of the year where many people find it simpler to avoid snow rather than attempt to deal with it.

Unless you're a mean girl and enjoy taking on three peaks full of rotten snow :D

Mats Roing said:
Unless you're a mean girl and enjoy taking on three peaks full of rotten snow :D
There's a new list. Do all the 48 in rotten snow conditions! :p

Little Sister said:
we saw a beaver crossing the Kanc on the way home...
Maine Girls are wicked hardcore :)

why did the beaver cross the road ?

Last edited:
why did the beaver cross the road ?

Careful ARM, this is a family website!

:rolleyes:

Reactions: arm
Actually, why would a beaver be out on the road in the late evening? Meb thought that there might be something wrong with it....maybe sick or something. I've been trying to find information on the habits of these "largest rodents"....something that might indicate what it was doing. Any ideas.....?

Little Sister said:
We had decided that we would go ultra light on this hike! We grabbed our headlamps, cell phones, and jacket and at a little before 5 we started up Tecumseh.
Did you also carry a small plastic container with Oreo cookies in it? If so, I found it near the tower. The container is yours if we can arrange something, the cookies, alas, have somehow disappeared :D

Little Sister said:
Actually, why would a beaver be out on the road in the late evening? ......... Any ideas.....?

If it crossed from north to south it probably figured out there would be plenty of crumbs from Oreo cookies and whoppie pies in the Tecumseh vincinity :D